Illustration Club

stan

I've just realised what was bothering me about that image, and it's that the bucket is the wrong way around. Who ties the rope to the arse end of a bucket? Absolute nonsense. I'm rightfully ashamed of that. Absolute fucking shocker.

Spoiler

184016935_Screenshot2022-10-10at09_45_59.png.46bd95f2d6f42480a44076ad02a0a76f.png

Maybe worth looking at some reference poses and breaking down some of the shapes/anatomy? I've been watching a fair bit of Ethan Becker recently, he's my sense of humour so I've really enjoyed his approach to art. He's mainly coming at it from an animation angle, but I've picked up lots from his vids.

Spoiler

Spoiler

13 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:
  Hide contents

184016935_Screenshot2022-10-10at09_45_59.png.46bd95f2d6f42480a44076ad02a0a76f.png

Maybe worth looking at some reference poses and breaking down some of the shapes/anatomy? I've been watching a fair bit of Ethan Becker recently, he's my sense of humour so I've really enjoyed his approach to art. He's mainly coming at it from an animation angle, but I've picked up lots from his vids.

That video was super useful, thanks.  Love the fact that my one of my poses is echoed in some of the things he references. I've called myself an artist for most of my life, but still there was loads in there that either confirmed what I was doing (which was nice) or just showed me I was wrong (which is actually better). I'm trying to drag myself back up to being remotely competent from being dismal. This has helped a lot.

8 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Just be warned; your home page gets...interesting suggestions when you search anatomy references. I did a load shortly before I went back to work and forgot to pick it back up.

https://ko-fi.com/album/StudiesGesture-Drawing-Y8Y27XC33

Excuse the link, saves me uploading them all.

That's also great, thanks. I love the comment about using a pen. Hopefully the scruffy nature of my scribbles shows I'm not precious about getting stuff right, but I do use a rubber almost as much as a pencil at this stage just so I don't distract myself too much with debris of failed attempts. I think you can afford to ditch the safety net when you start getting back on form, but until then it's actually a really useful tool, especially if you're just snatching the odd fifteen minutes here and there.

That is exactly what I should be trying to sketch though - just endless poses, rather than even attempting to go for detail. The problem is I have results in mind...

My partner and her mate do a weekly Pokémon TCG stream on Insta, it's fairly low key but they have a cute little community and commissioned me to do them a custom trainer card to hand out at a comicon at end of month, I'm dead pleased with how it turned out! 

pokepickstrainercardfinal1_small_edited.thumb.png.014b69908dfde46f56817855a03d185a.png

I've decided to start learning how to use Illustrator a bit more 'properly' - I've previously used i sparingly for line work, but then painting/colouring in photoshop.  So I've started by copying my favourite pokemon, Bulba! He turned out pretty amazing! 

001_illus.thumb.png.1ec474c4de13e443ea182420f67ae237.png

001.thumb.png.78fe70f27a442716d9f3628434bd5827.png

1 hour ago, PK said:

@SpagMasterSwiftwhat are you using to ink the drawings in your most recent posts?

Hey PK, I’m mostly using the Faber-Castell PITT XS pen, but breakout the thick Stylefile Marker for fills and the Pentel Brush Pen when feeling brave.

51BC1B6B-CC30-47EB-9158-FAACF0A7D4B2.thumb.jpeg.6c2d33a55d83f1a8916fe4ddffc8179c.jpeg

I had been using a PIGMA MICRON 003 pen, but trying to get away from that as it’s way to fine a nib which I tend to damage easily. Faber-Castell are worth a look in my (absolute amateur) opinion.

17 hours ago, MarkN said:

This is the pic I deleted a while ago. Still not right but better:

IMG_20221116_011150.thumb.jpg.7c3da3605cf56c99f3b58d0f4527cc64.jpg

There's a definite improvement from drawing to drawing which is cool to see. If you aren't already doing them I think you'd get a lot from reading up about gesture drawings and then making them a regular practice exercise - maybe working 50/50 from photo references (sports photos are really useful for this) and from imagination.

Happy with this one, especially since a little bit drunk. Wanted her twisted up like a coiled spring more, but what came out was OK too. Her bottom half was meant to be at least 45 degrees thataway -> in my head. Getting better though, I think, and that's all I'm after. Still using a rubber more than a pencil, but I like the lines I end up with for the most part now. 

IMG_20221122_025512.thumb.jpg.1111e3fdc4defde4b49ec5598eca488a.jpg