rllmuk
stan

Illustration Club

I've been asked to help recommend a Christmas gift (whether an experience type thing or some gear) for an 11/12 year old who loves sketching comics. Apparently he's pretty good. 

Any ideas lovely comic people?

Ever since I was a kid I’ve always had this romantic idea of becoming a graffiti artist, but at my age getting up is incredibly unlikely, however I’m determined to get a black book going and to decode the styles and techniques used since the 70s. Ive bought a pad, some Stylefile markers and Posca pens, got a bunch a Sharpies too, I don’t have the steadiest hand or much free time, but I reckon if I post up wip pics in here now and then it might help keep some momentum going and serve as a reference of any progress I may make.

First up I’m trying out some basic block 3D style letters, tried to balance them and couldn’t resist putting a corny crown on even though it felt super cheeky at this early stage. Worked out that by selecting a point at the bottom of the page and drawing lines coming from the points of the letters I could do the 3D effect. I guess I must have known that’s how it’s done, but had never put it into practice before.

608548A3-CA03-4EFE-A76F-E96C51122C7A.thumb.jpeg.e0011d120663209a680dedd972bba683.jpeg

Then, since this one was feeling super cheesy I drew a Donald Duck character in an Adidas top bussin a BBoy pose and looking pure attitude. Disney characters being classic graffiti stuff after all. Filled the 3D parts of the letters and now need to do the outlines.

C1ABCDAB-5821-4F70-8D51-31728C885F2C.thumb.jpeg.fd38899c8cb23dcf35825e3be4683df8.jpeg

I hate this bit, always have to fight against nerves and try to relax. I’ve got an ultra fine point black Sharpie for this but it’s not great at hiding the shakes. Once that’s done I need to think about adding some background (probably a cloud since this is shaping up to be a pure cornball piece), colour the letters and use the Posca pens to add some details in. Don’t want to get trapped on this one for too long as this pad has many pages to fill.

Getting used to using the Stylefile markers has been fun, I like how you can be sloppy with them with the fat end which I’m aiming to do more of as its fun compared to the more technical side of graffiti. Here is a quick Cheech Wizard that I did trying them out. Hopefully more to come soonish.

AC327838-6D6D-4445-85AF-33610CA7AC67.thumb.jpeg.9aa6dae97cfe49dd36114526ba74380b.jpeg

• Upvote 7

Decided to keep the colour fill on the letters nice and simple, the markers left lines which give them some texture anyway so skipping any highlights. I’ll need to work out how to get a proper fill tho to avoid this next time. Didn’t want to go too dark with the colours so avoided doing a second layer, but I expect that’s how to avoid streak lines. The cloud turned out a bit lame, but I enjoyed using a white Posca pen to do the letter outline, could maybe have gone a bit thicker there. I decided to stick to the blue of Donald’s sailor jacket, red of his bow and yellow beak for the colour scheme. The crown probably should be yellow, but liked the idea of it being the same blue as Donald's cap. The character feels a bit floaty on its own at the side, should have put something behind it to make the white feathers pop off the page, maybe overlap with the letters.

CFAA5ED8-F93C-49E2-9035-C0B871E2BB97.thumb.jpeg.0c849258db2457209a8ab06ec1f8aa87.jpeg

I’m calling this one done and moving on.

F1C7473F-0613-4639-847A-328BA50F43D1.thumb.jpeg.4066ae89ca33383e0f86616bbe68518b.jpeg

5FE75C29-3B35-4593-9596-E54292CBF86B.thumb.jpeg.f0433a4343b9847e2a9f025d5a36aabe.jpeg

• Upvote 6

My current obsession with Read Dead has crossed over to my own concept art stuff at the moment. Hence some photoshoppery. 

odysseyscreensaver2k.thumb.jpg.dde0a43de9e688aaadf46f1c2033ba5a.jpg

Had great fun with this :)

Ironically, the whole idea was actually based on the Magnificent Seven, so it feels vaguely 'okay' that I've come full circle :p 

• Upvote 4