Illustration Club

On 07/11/2017 at 17:21, Chosty said:

I feel almost fraudulent posting in this thread given the amazing work that you've all done, and the fact that I have virtually zero artistic talent at all, but I've recently hit upon a kind of doodling that I'm quite proud of given my extreme limitations. I use a bunch of different thickness fineliners, 0.05mm up to 0.8mm, and the abstract, repetitive nature of drawing the circles helps me focus and relax like a kind of meditation. I think the next step is to try and introduce some new elements to them and maybe a splash of colour. Excuse the poor quality photos - bad lighting/camera.

IMG_20171107_164236.jpg

IMG_20171107_164245.jpg

Very nice! The increased variance in the thickness of outline in the first piece gives it a more rounded three dimensional topography, that's something maybe worth exploring further if it takes your fancy.

On 11/15/2017 at 17:36, JimmytheMook said:

Very nice! The increased variance in the thickness of outline in the first piece gives it a more rounded three dimensional topography, that's something maybe worth exploring further if it takes your fancy.

Cheers!

Yeah, I prefer the top one for that same reason. The nibs of my 0.05mm and 0.1mm pens must have got a bit damaged because they don't seem as fine as they used to be and that's showing in my later doodles. I've started mucking about with trying to get a layered effect in addition to different thicknesses to really push that feeling of depth, but I've not hit upon anything that really works yet.

2 hours ago, Chosty said:

Cheers!

Yeah, I prefer the top one for that same reason. The nibs of my 0.05mm and 0.1mm pens must have got a bit damaged because they don't seem as fine as they used to be and that's showing in my later doodles. I've started mucking about with trying to get a layered effect in addition to different thicknesses to really push that feeling of depth, but I've not hit upon anything that really works yet.

Have you considered using a pencil? You can a lot of varied line quality out of a 2b, the extra nuance would give an increased sense of volume to your patterns, might make up for the lack of that ink pen definition.

On 11/16/2017 at 22:31, JimmytheMook said:

Have you considered using a pencil? You can a lot of varied line quality out of a 2b, the extra nuance would give an increased sense of volume to your patterns, might make up for the lack of that ink pen definition.

Not thought about pencils - what I like about fineliners is the high contrast between black ink and white paper. But on reflection it would be definitely worth having an experimentation. As you say, far easier to get gradation of tone. Thanks for the suggestion.

7 hours ago, Nequests said:

The long-missing member of Manic Street Preachers, Richey Edwards, used to doodle similarly in his notebooks.

d174f406fd33fbe010259ef09e129b9b.jpg.531dba4138281819fdb43a5d2bcb6587.jpg

Not entirely sure how I know or remember this, but I do.

I never for a second thought I'd come up with anything remotely new with my doodles, but even still the similarity is striking. Good find!

It's fascinating to think about how we both ended up doing something very similar and what the conscious/unconscious thought processes are behind them.

On 11/20/2017 at 09:19, Chosty said:

Not thought about pencils - what I like about fineliners is the high contrast between black ink and white paper. But on reflection it would be definitely worth having an experimentation. As you say, far easier to get gradation of tone. Thanks for the suggestion.

Might be worth looking at soft wax/oil based pencils over graphite, they can get some solid blackness and not smudge.

As a nice segue between that and the above post, I've got some aquarelle pencils on the way. Think they'll meet my needs very nicely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2017 at 12:55, dr_manhattan^ said:

I've wanted to be able to draw for a long time so I started a Udemy course last night and drew my first thing, an eye.  Quite happy with how it turned out.

IMG_1750.jpg

Can I ask what course you are doing? I want to learn to draw this year too!

Well, I am going to take the plunge today. I have a brand new Dell series 5000 laptop with touchscreen and an active pen.

Going to get some paper and pencils on my way home from work, and I will order "the ultimate drawing course - beginner to advanced' on Udemy.

No prior drawing experience. Wish me luck.

I'm doing the same. I've just ordered 'Ultimate Guide to Digital Sketching: Beginner to Advanced' because he seems to be using Procreate on his iPad Pro with apple pencil, and thats what I've been doodling with.

Seems bad to not start with a real pencil, but it fits with my life, so let's see how it plays out.

(Here is the best thing I've drawn so far, in OneNote of all places).

Pigeon.jpg

6 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Certainly, it's this one:

https://www.udemy.com/the-ultimate-drawing-course-beginner-to-advanced

I only paid £15 for it, so it's worth waiting for a sale.

Brilliant thanks, the new year sale means it's only £10.99. The question is, do I get it in addition to this one: 

https://www.udemy.com/ultimate-guide-to-digital-sketching-beginner-to-advanced/learn/v4/overview

Hmmm....