Y. Okamoto & T. Mizuguchi To Create Xbox 2 Games

biohill

More Japanese Game Luminaries Pick Next-Gen Xbox Platform

Game Republic's Yoshiki Okamoto and Q Entertainment's Tetsuya Mizuguchi to create Exclusive Content for Microsoft Game Studios

TOKYO, Japan - 2nd March, 2005 - In another creative coup for its next generation Xbox platform, Microsoft today announced that esteemed video game developers Yoshiki Okamoto, President & CEO of Game Republic, Inc., and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, Creator and Co-founder, Q Entertainment Inc. have aligned with Microsoft® Game Studios to develop exclusive next-generation Xbox games.

The announcement comes on the heels of last week's news that video game legend Hironobu Sakaguchi, president of Mistwalker game studio, has joined with Microsoft Game Studios to develop role-playing games exclusively for the next-generation Xbox platform.

http://www.gamefront.de

So that's Square, Capcom and Sega who aren't keen on the XB2 then. Konami next, or is that a given?

This strategy isn't going to work unless these 'auteurs' are bringing their IP and staff from their previous employers with them.

So that's Square, Capcom and Sega who aren't keen on the XB2 then. Konami next, or is that a given?

This strategy isn't going to work unless these 'auteurs' are bringing their IP and staff from their previous employers with them.

These are only the games MS will be publishing 3rd party developers haven’t announced anything yet. But since this week seems to be very Japan-centric this could be a very interesting week.

If Microsoft can convince both Square and Konami then things would be looking very nice for the Xbox successor. I'd also like to see Tekken on a non Sony platform although that could just be wishful thinking.

We know you hate the XB, I guess now we know you hate the XB2 as well. Ta.

Where'd you get that from? Any interviews with actual developers? I think it's a given that Square won't be doing anything but SEGA would release Sonic for a toaster if they could get away with it.

.::: This is good. And exactly what I was missing with it's predecessor. Now I'm not totally against Western games, but if there's one thing I learned throughout the years, it is that I generally like Japanese games a bit more.

Ok, so it are just three people who agree to work on Xbox 2 games. But eh.. isn't that already more credit than the Xbox has build up since it's launch?

Definitely positive news for me. ^_^

A wrong realist then, because no one from any of those companies has mentioned anything yet.

So quiet you.

The last thing I heard was Square saying "We'll certainly consider it".

Where he gets his info from I don't know.

hahaha course you are.

And your sources are?

Could you provide the sources that provide evidence to the contrary?

All I'm hearing from the big players are the same things they were saying last time: That they are tentatively interested in making games.

In translation this means: We're making PS3 games and if the Xbox 2 takes off in Japan, we'll be making games for that too, knowing full well that it's a double edged sword because without our product, you ain't selling any consoles.

It's like winning the lottery for small, independent developers in the region though. If MS have the balls to follow this through, the Xbox 2 could be the new Dreamcast/Saturn for Japan's hardest of hardcore gamers and unlike Sega's machines, there's at least a big budget propping the thing up.

The big-time success will only come with the big-time devs however. Microsoft need Final Fantasy XIII more than Halo 3 right now.

Could you provide the sources that provide evidence to the contrary?

All I'm hearing from the big players are the same things they were saying last time: That they are tentatively interested in making games.

In translation this means: We're making PS3 games and if the Xbox 2 takes off in Japan, we'll be making games for that too, knowing full well that it's a double edged sword because without our product, you ain't selling any consoles.

As you well know from these big players who are apparently talking to you, there is far greater interest in XB2 from Japanese developers, with the big players apparently also looking to joint release titles with the PS3 this time around - as they know they can't merely rely on their own local market to sell games into anymore.

Please feel free to link these big players comments that definately confirm this is the case if you fancy.

No one's especially confirming any titles at this stage in the generation (like nobodys specifically confirmed anything for the PS3 or N3) but it's more about the general sentments coming from the Japanese publishing arena (see the MCV article I'd previously mentioned).

But while these comments were met with little surprise, given the Dead or Alive publisher’s current favouritism towards Xbox, further investigations by MCV have revealed a nascent and widespread concern over Sony’s next-gen plans - leading some of the biggest players in the business to reassess where their loyalties lie.

“There is a lot of uncertainty amongst Japanese companies that Sony is unsure of what direction to take with PS3,” said a senior figure at a major Japanese developer and publisher. “Everyone’s business model has traditionally been built around Sony hardware, but given the lack of info, people are nervous about putting all of their eggs in one basket.”

Highlighting the difference in approach between Microsoft and Sony, the source added: “If we ask Sony technical questions, we don’t hear back for four-to-six weeks; Microsoft answers (Xbox 2) queries there and then.”

What will be of most concern to Sony is that an apparently groundswell of support for Xbox 2 emerged between Japanese companies at Tokyo Game Show: “The vibe between most of the major parties was: ‘Is PlayStation such a safe bet? Maybe we should take Xbox 2 more seriously’,” the source added.

These feelings were echoed by a source at a separate Japanese games company, another strong Sony supporter, who said: “With Microsoft there’s a clearer indication of what’s going on – Sony is being sketchy about a lot of things. We’re now planning joint releases on PS3 and Xbox 2 for next-gen, where we have always lead on PlayStation hardware in the past.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/html/news/story.jsp?newsId=1929387

But fear not Burai - I'm sure the Nintendo will have plenty of support for the N5, because afterall, this is what this is all really about isn't it?

No one's especially confirming any titles at this stage in the generation (like nobodys specifically confirmed anything for the PS3 or N3) but it's more about the general sentments coming from the Japanese publishing arena (see the MCV article I'd previously mentioned).

But like I say, they were saying the similar things last time out, before it all went tits up.

But fear not Burai - I'm sure the Nintendo will have plenty of support for the N5, because afterall, this is what this is all really about isn't it?

"I have no more solid evidence to back my argument than he does, so to make myself look like I've won an argument that will have no solid outcome for another 12 months at least, I'll imply he has a hidden agenda in front of all my internet friends so it makes me look better and completely impartial and everything!"

Very well done.

Briefly, my position is not one of trying to 'prove' that the major Japanese devcos will support the Xbox2. I'm sure that most of them (but certainly not SquareEnix) will unveil at least one Xbox2 product at E3, and even the most transparently token quota-filling efforts will be hailed as classics and vindication by the chest-beating fanboys (see: Sega's early Xbox 1 output).

Rather, it's one of confusion at who these announcements are aimed at. The Japanese buying public? The Japanese development community? Western early adopters? Peter Moore might as well have just gotten three Japanese tramps to say there names into a dictaphone for all this tells me about the eventual software lineup of the Xbox2.

The machine is only ~8 months away. If MS have decided that they can talk about it publically, why aren't they talking about established development companies rather than untested startups?

I'm sure Mistwalker's and the others games will be fantastic, but these statements don't suggest increased Japanese acceptance of the Xbox2, any more than anonymous comments to MCV. (Which, of course, policy-making Japanese executives make to UK trade mags off the record all the time.)

"I have no more solid evidence to back my argument than he does,

Except of course, it's you claiming to be hearing from your Japanese sources regarding next generation support, not me.

so to make myself look like I've won an argument that will have no solid outcome for another 12 months at least, I'll imply he has a hidden agenda in front of all my internet friends so it makes me look better and completely impartial and everything!"

I think anyone can see from the tone of your posts in every non-Nintendo product thread that clearly your agenda is anything but "hidden", but lets not digress from the main points here.

Rather, it's one of confusion at who these announcements are aimed at. The Japanese buying public? The Japanese development community? Western early adopters?

All of the above really I'd guess. Seems like a reasonable enough marketing coup to me.

...even the most transparently token quota-filling efforts will be hailed as classics and vindication by the chest-beating fanboys (see: Sega's early Xbox 1 output).

Booooo.

I'm booing that comment. Jet Set Radio Future filled no quotas. It didn't even sell.