Psp Us Movies

kamrantaz

Why would it be a one time watch? Surely purchasing a UMD movie is just the same as purchasing a DVD movie other than the fact that you can enjoy a DVD movie with friends.

I usually enjoy DVD movies alone.. or with the missus.

On the 42" plasma with full boonah surround tomfoolery.

But, other than that, there's no difference between a UMD and a DVD.. :)

Dumb question, but as we're the same region for DVDs in this country as in Japan, will UK UMDs work on a Jap PSP?

I guess we won't know for sure until the European version is released, but it looks that way.

Why would it be a one time watch? Surely purchasing a UMD movie is just the same as purchasing a DVD movie other than the fact that you can enjoy a DVD movie with friends.

Simple. If I want to watch a movie, I want to watch it on my television.

The only time I would consider a portable alternative is if I'm going away somewhere and fancy something for the journey - i.e. when I don't have access to the television. Trains, buses, aeroplanes, tents.

The chances of that happening often enough, and including me actually wanting to watch that film the same day I have to make a trip, watching it for the second time or more... it just doesn't warrant a cost of more than a fiver. Cinema ticket pricing.

And as I've said in a previous thread, it may be likely that Sony DVD players will be UMD compatible, but most people already have a DVD player and aren't going to shell out for a second just for UMD compatibility for films that are likely inferior to the DVD release.

The UMDs are great in theory, but little more than a gimmick in practice. You can watch films on the move. But few are going to want to pay those costs.

however i consider it, i see no point in UMD movies. even if the quality is as good as dvd and Sony players support them in future, blue ray (or whatever) will over shadow the format. marketing the the dvd ripping capablities, and memory sticks would have made much more sense.

the only UMD movie i'll be getting is the one i get free with my PSP.

around 8 quid

dvdsoon.co.uk

XXX - UMD (2002) PG-13 $ 15.98

Hellboy - UMD : Director's Cut (2004) PG-13 $ 15.98

Spider-Man 2 - UMD (2004) PG-13 $ 15.98

House of Flying Daggers - UMD (2004) PG-13 $ 25.98

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - UMD (2001) R $ 15.98

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - UMD (2003) R $ 15.98

"Cheap" if you live in the UK. For US prices ad 5-8% for tax and those prices are too fucking high for my liking. I'm totally unconvinced as to the merits of watching some movie on a tiny screen any more than once. So $17 for 2 hours of entertainment. Give me a game any day over that. The only way I could ever see myself using a UMD movie is if they rented them in airports.

You do realise that UMD playback on the PS3 is as inevitable as your own demise?

Be it add on or built in, third or first party it's coming.

Be interesting to see the quality of those movies on a telly.

Should compare nicely with the BluRay :P

Movie playback on the PSP is a godsend for kids sent to bed early, those at boarding schools, people on long land based journeys or travelling with a shit airline, children with no one to play with in the lunch break, parents who need their young passengers to shut up and campers.

Maybe I missed some.?

You do realise that UMD playback on the PS3 is as inevitable as your own demise?

Be it add on or built in, third or first party it's coming.

Be interesting to see the quality of those movies on a telly.

Should compare nicely with the BluRay :P

Where "...compare nicely with..." is a phrase in some bizarre foreign language that translates into English as "...be blindingly obvious that they'll look like a tepid pile of steaming dog turds in comparison to..."

And DVD playback on dedicated DVD players which are cheap things anyway is even more inevitable.

Why buy a UMD which plays only on Sony equipment when you could by a disc that plays on everything?

It's gift vouchers all over again.

Where "...compare nicely with..." is a phrase in some bizarre foreign language that translates into English as "...be blindingly obvious that they'll look like a tepid pile of steaming dog turds in comparison to..."

I don't know, I find that my old C30 tapes of from the seventies played through my old Spectrum tape recorder compare very well with my Bang and Olufsen CD player.

I don't know, I find that my old C30 tapes of from the seventies played through my old Spectrum tape recorder compare very well with my Bang and Olufsen CD player.

[hifisnob]

Well to be fair, they probably would compare very well with a Bang and Olufsen CD player

[/hifisnob]

And DVD playback on dedicated DVD players which are cheap things anyway is even more inevitable.

I think it already happened?

Not saying that UMD playback on the telly is necessary or even desirable, just that I doubt that the PSP will be the only place you can watch them.

Course it already happened. That's why it's inevitable. :P

My point is that no matter how much Sony stuff can play UMDs, they'll always be inferior to a DVD and as such it'll likely only be Sony stuff that can play them. New Sony stuff that you'll have to buy, and your mates will have to buy if you want to swap stuff, and you'll have to replace your perfectly working existing player which is nowhere near obsolete.

It's a pointless new format for movies, unless either you can rent them cheap or they sell for the price of a cinema ticket - £5.

It sounds like minidisc all over again. Who ever bought an album on mnidisc? (Well, actually, I did buy a couple but it was to go with a MD player as a gift.)

I know this has been asked before but can someone confirm what Memory stcks are compatible? Is it duo pro?

Cheers.

I've put in a pre-order for the PSP at DVDBO :o I can't seem to find anywhere else and I hear VG+ has all the preorder slots filled.

Good luck with DVDBO. Might be worth just waiting for VG+ to get more in though.

Are VG+ doing a dead pixel check before sending them out like they did with the DS?

Also what did the price come to?

Yep, they'll be checking for dead pixels and all that.

My order for the value pack, Ridge Racer and DHL shipping comes to $414.97CAD = £174.

My order for the value pack, Ridge Racer and DHL shipping comes to $414.97CAD = £174.

Bloody hell that's good.

I am right in thinking the preorder option has disappeared from the site, aren't I?

Some new movie announcements; link.

Movies Open Water and Saw are among those to be made available for Sony's PSP games console. [...] The Punisher and House of the Dead along with older titles such as Total Recall and Rambo: First Blood, will be in the UMD format, with disks costing between $20 (£10.40) to $30 (£15.60) for new titles and $10 (£5.20) to $20 for older films.

Interesting variation in pricing from $10 to $30.

i can't help but think that if they do that there'll be a server shortage of units they'll be sending out!

Some new movie announcements; link.

Interesting variation in pricing from $10 to $30.

Shame that almost all of the UMD movies are utter shite. I'd buy one if they did Belleville Rendezvous and the three Mobile Suit Gundam movies for the format.