XXX - UMD (2002) PG-13 $ 15.98

Hellboy - UMD : Director's Cut (2004) PG-13 $ 15.98

Spider-Man 2 - UMD (2004) PG-13 $ 15.98

House of Flying Daggers - UMD (2004) PG-13 $ 25.98

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie - UMD (2001) R $ 15.98

Once Upon a Time in Mexico - UMD (2003) R $ 15.98

does the PSP have a tv-out?

No...

I believe the development kit ones did though...

And those prices are still too much...Buy the UMD and only play it on the PSP, buy the DVD and play it on your TV OR rip it to the memory stick? Tough choice that...

(although if they were a bit cheaper I concede that I might buy one or two, can't really see myself buying films though, they'd be better off charging less and releasing a UMD with a few cartoons/tv episodes/comedy stuff on imo)

I tried to tell you all that DVDs over here (Japan) are sold at ripp off prices and that western ones couldn't possibly be priced the same, but you wouldn't have it!

(smugly correct) Jools

(smugly missed the point) you mean.

Price of UMD in Japan = price of DVD in Japan, no?

Price of UMD in US = price of DVD in US.

Thus, it follows that price of UMD in UK/Europe = price of DVD in UK/Europe, making it hideously overpriced for what it is - an inferior DVD that you're likely to watch once and once only.

I'd pay about a fiver for it, no more.

and no-one will allow you to rent them either.

UMD movies = white elephant.

Would rather rip movies to a memory card... but... Sony Memory Sticks are grossly overpriced.

Lets hope they sort out the software then cos the difference in a full screen full pixel defiantinition movie on UMD compared to what you can get onto a memort stick (even for a 1gig file) is quite something. UMD is great, lets hope that a firmware upgrade or some new software will allow us to get that quality out of the memory stick playback.

Cheers

Quexex

I tried to tell you all that DVDs over here (Japan) are sold at ripp off prices and that western ones couldn't possibly be priced the same, but you wouldn't have it!

(smugly correct) Jools

I dunno, most DVD's in Japan are between 3 and 4,000 yen which is about 15 to 20 pounds.

But there are tons available for between 1 and 2,000 yen, a fiver or a tenner. Picked up Alien and Aliens SE in a set for 2,500 yen last week.

Japanese films seem to be more expensive than foreign films though and some of their box sets are just ludicrously expensive. There really is no amount that a Japanese otaku will not spend on his favorite film/TV show with a plastic figure in the box.

On the whole though I'd say it's pretty comparable with the UK.

What's the point of UMD movies?

I love my PSP, I think it's great, especially Everybody's Golf.

Anyway, a 1gb memory stick is so cheap. Why buy UMD movies? You can fit 3 hrs of good quality mp4 movie footage on a 1gb stick.

If you want to be a tight bastard you can get a 512mb stick, this will take a 90 mins movie.

For the price of 5 UMDs you can afford a decent memory stick and then any film from your DVD collection can make it onto your PSP.

Hell, I've got everyone of my Daughter's favourite Disney scenes on my memory stick and it sure keeps her quiet for long car journeys.

By the way, the PSP ace. Especially Everybody's Golf.

(smugly missed the point) you mean.

Price of UMD in Japan = price of DVD in Japan, no?

Price of UMD in US = price of DVD in US.

Thus, it follows that price of UMD in UK/Europe = price of DVD in UK/Europe, making it hideously overpriced for what it is - an inferior DVD that you're likely to watch once and once only.

I'd pay about a fiver for it, no more.

Well I've only missed the point if your daft enough to buy the UK PSP and surely noone here is that daft???

-Jools

At £8 for an American PSP it's still overpriced.

£8 for a one time watch? Not including postage which would probably drive it up to at least a tenner.

Nah.

Why would it be a one time watch? Surely purchasing a UMD movie is just the same as purchasing a DVD movie other than the fact that you can enjoy a DVD movie with friends.

Well I've only missed the point if your daft enough to buy the UK PSP and surely noone here is that daft???

-Jools

What about the general public? Like I said on the other thread, japanese DVDs are about the same price as the UK with bare bones DVDs being about £5-7 (like Womblingfree mentioned) and seeing how the UMDs are going to be bare bones they should be that sort of price. In america I would think about $5-7 would be much better pricing. £10-12 for a UMD which has only the movie is a complete rip off when you consider that for a couple of quid more you can get a 2 disk special edition with hours of extras (or if you go to a HMV sale get them for about £10 each).

You have clearly missed the point :)