Robocop Remake - February 2014 - PG13 Rating Confirmed at ComicCon

Robo_1

Went to my local HMV (well 25miles away) today with a Xmas voucher in search of the remastered version. Headed to the BR section and under RoboCop they had the Trilogy, the original BR release and the remastered steelbook for £22.99. Feeling pretty gutted I went to the anime section to see if they had the Studio Ghilbli films I'm missing. Unfortunately they're all at a stupid price, so I sacked that idea off.

BUT THEN on my way out I saw it, the only copy they had in store, sat in between all the super hero films for the delicious price of £6.99.

So I snatched it and now own a copy of this masterpiece. An even bigger bonus, the HMV card that I thought only had £10 on actually had £20.

My film club screening of the original Robocop is coming up soon, thought I'd pop in and plug. If any of you are London-based and fancy seeing it on the big screen I'll be showing it on Thursday 10th April, 8pm, at the Duke of Wellington pub in Dalston. Film club details are in my sig, if it takes your fancy.

I also commission original movie posters for each screening. The Robocop design is stunning, illustrated by a friend of mine called Autun Purser:

post-16211-0-35258500-1395489280_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't have been that bad if you finished it.

I spent the whole time on the web, surfing here, ebay etc, it was fine for background entertainment, but there wasn't ever any part of it that made me stop what I was doing and give it my full attention.

If it was that bad you wouldn't stick with it. The fact is, if you watch a film to the end it has to have had SOMETHING to keep you going for an hour and a half or more. I switched Miami Vice off after an hour. I switched off bridesmaids after 40 minutes and I only waited that long in case it got better because every one said it was brilliant.

Bridesmaids *is* brilliant, but mainly if you're a bitter and twisted single thirtysomething who's endured a string of failed relationships, crushed dreams and demeaning job experiences while watching helplessly as your uglier, less intelligent friends all pair off, settle down and have contented little lives. One friend of mine described it as less a comedy and more a dark night of the soul. See also Young Adult, for which Charlize Theron was robbed during the awards season that year.

If it was that bad you wouldn't stick with it. The fact is, if you watch a film to the end it has to have had SOMETHING to keep you going for an hour and a half or more. I switched Miami Vice off after an hour. I switched off bridesmaids after 40 minutes and I only waited that long in case it got better because every one said it was brilliant.

Nope, I do quite the opposite, as I'm sure many on here do. Films can turn it around in the third act. A good ending can make up for a weak beginning. I don't feel as though I can say for definite, "Yes, this film is a load of crap!" unless I've seen every minute of it.

Bridesmaids *is* brilliant, but only if you're a bitter and twisted single thirtysomething who's endured a string of failed relationships, crushed dreams and demeaning job experiences while watching helplessly as your uglier, less intelligent friends all pair off, settle down and have contented little lives.

I'm nothing like that and I think it's brilliant too. So neer.

I saw this tonight. If I'm being honest I heard the film was shit and I wasn't expect ion very much at all. Anyway, I actually thought it was alright.

There is no denying it doesn't have the same gritty feel for the original but as the story is so different I thought it wasn't a big deal. Sure some bits were a little tacky but it certainly didn't warrant the hatred it seemed to be getting.

Samuel Jackson sure likes to make strange choices in the films he is in too.

I was actually really enjoying this, right until its final act where they clearly ditched the nice ideas they had going and decided to simply ape the original.

The final scenes were fucking shocking.

Yeah, the jump from...

The Robocop is Awesome to The Robocop Must Die, is bullshit.

It wasn't rubbish, it was just blah. Everything felt sterile and dull, and the sudden shift toward the end felt incredibly rushed. The opening sequence was actually pretty good, and a couple of other bits showed there was potential there, but it was wasted in banality. There was no way on earth the main villain was going to stand up to Clarence Boddicker comparisons, but it would have been nice had he been more threatening than a kid with a branch out of a tree (and not a very big or sharp branch). Oldman was good, but most everyone else felt wasted, though it was good to see Keaton back on the big screen.

In fact, I'd be curious to know who actually had the most screen time, Oldman's doctor or Robocop himself.

The action was boring, which was one of the few things I wasn't expecting given the director's pedigree. The final sequence with the ED209 clones was just a CGI mish mash and I found it was difficult to keep track of what was happening - not that you had much time as it was over so quickly. I actually thought the suit ended up being alright, but at no real point did it feel like a man inside a machine, more just a guy in a lot of body armour, if that makes sense.

So yes, rather than being terrible, it was simply average.