Robocop Remake - February 2014 - PG13 Rating Confirmed at ComicCon

Robo_1

Just a quick heads up... the remastered Robocop doesn't seem to work on the Technika BRSS10. I've tried two different copies of the film, and both refused to play after the 20th Century Fox logo. Works fine on other blu-ray players I've tried. I know a few people on here have probably got the Technika, because of its multi-region blu-ray functionality.

I've got an unlimited card so I thought I might as well see this straight after watching the Lego Movie for a second time (brilliant film that). I only saw it this morning and I can barely remember it. It's of the dullest ,emptiest action films I've ever watched. A few of the audience left half way through and I couldn't blame them.

Yeah, the problem is that I don't think the director felt like he was making an action film. Tries to make a serious scifi thriller kind of thing. Falls between the stools and ends up rather pointless and empty.

Strange film in some respects, not sure what the point of remaking it was.

I didn't enjoy Evil Dead, I was all up for watching a darker iteration of the franchise but I just didn't like it at the time. The effects were great, it was gory however, the deaths were hit and miss in places. My biggest gripe was that it wasn't relied upon jump scares and gore and lacked the creepiness and ambience of the original.

Just got back from seeing this. I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as it could of been but also it wasn't as bad as the doom mongers predicted.

I thought the first two thirds of the film were handled well - the setup, the robocop origin story, robocop's early days in recovery, testing and eventual deployment to the streets of future Detroit.

All of that worked well for me and then it disappointed in the final third. Weak villains, not enough action and an anti-climactic ending left the final third of the film wanting. A stronger more charismatic villain, 15 minutes more of Robocop taking down criminal scum and a better ending could have raised this above the average film it is.

3/5

Really rather disliked this. Its just nothing when it comes down to it. Haley is laughably bad, Keaton is a gigantic bag of meh, Oldman is solid, as is Jackson. Kinnaman (man crush ahoy) really doesn't have much to do bar be CGI'd up a lot of the time.

The action is quite terrible, the family orientated scenes are cheesy as all hell, the satire could've been written by a nine year old. Definitely not for me, and I'm normally gung-ho for any kind of actiony bollocks.

That's because the makers of Dredd had to balls to go R rated and not give in to the shitty teen friendly "action" films of today. Obviously money wise the later makes more sense but it terms of enjoyment and producing a good movie, Dredd gets it spot on.

Right, so 20th Century Fox have sent me a copy of Robocop on BR for my film night, but it's the 2010 release (I think), that's 98 minutes long. This one, basically - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robocop-Blu-ray-Peter-Weller/dp/B000WBZZBG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1393943309&sr=8-5&keywords=robocop

Couple of questions for the fans in here:

• Is the transfer on the new remastered version which came out recently a huge improvement on this one they've given me? A few comments on Amazon suggest it is, but I haven't watched it myself yet and I don't have the new one to compare with either.
  • Do you know if it's the same edition of the film? Apparently the new version is also 98 minutes long, so it sounds like it's the same.

Thanks!

Right, so 20th Century Fox have sent me a copy of Robocop on BR for my film night, but it's the 2010 release (I think), that's 98 minutes long. This one, basically - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robocop-Blu-ray-Peter-Weller/dp/B000WBZZBG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1393943309&sr=8-5&keywords=robocop

Couple of questions for the fans in here:

• Is the transfer on the new remastered version which came out recently a huge improvement on this one they've given me? A few comments on Amazon suggest it is, but I haven't watched it myself yet and I don't have the new one to compare with either.
  • Do you know if it's the same edition of the film? Apparently the new version is also 98 minutes long, so it sounds like it's the same.

Thanks!

The new remaster is definitely an improvement, but not as dramatic as I was expecting. The Directors/Unrated cut only adds about 17 seconds of footage anyway, so you can't tell which version you have by running times. However, I think it's safe to assume the Directors/Unrated is the default these days.

This dropped out the top ten in the US this week (its fourth weekend on release). In North America it has made $54M and will top out at around $65-68M (It made $2M over the last three days).

Of note though, is its international performance, which is currently at $165M. That includes the $26M it made in China in only six days. Curiously, for China, the film was converted to 3D for its release (The only place to receive a 3D version).