Robocop Remake - February 2014 - PG13 Rating Confirmed at ComicCon

Robo_1

Stellar word-of-mouth will surely help it. I'd be surprised if it didn't have a strong second week hold.

Are we talking Lego Movie or Robocop? In the case of the former, it will indeed have an excellent second frame (and cross $100M). If we're talking Robocop, this weekend is essentially its one shot. Next weekend and the one after, it'll get taken down by other movies sharing the same or very similar demographics.

Think he was just being sarcastic.

Is it wrong that I'm a little happy this is tanking? Mainly just so studios might start to see that trying to recreate classic action films and using the same name just doesn't work. 3 for 3 now on tanking aren't we with Connan, Total Recall and RoboCop? Are there any others?

This is frustratingly close to being a very good film in its own right but the baggage that cannot help but come with being a new ROBOCOP! film really drags it down. If you can leave that stuff at the door - and god knows, I'm having a hard time doing so - there is a lot to like here. Some missteps, it drops the ball in a few places and is deadly serious in the main but it tries a hell of a lot more than most remakes do and some scenes are genuinely great and raise all kinds of questions (chiefly *that* scene where for most the initial reaction will probably be outright horror but on reflection leads to all kinds of interesting discussion regarding what makes you 'you' and life/existence with a heavy/crippling disability). Having Gary Oldman almost share equal screen time with the lead was a wise move, he's great in this, and it's always a joy to see Jennifer Ehle and Michael Keaton show up in something.

Action-wise, it's never close to as fun and thrilling as the original but given the tone of the film in general and constant allusion to drones, it's obviously the point - action movie hero shit is now a useless and outdated concept in this sort of story when the military-industrial complex can just send in its superior $2b tech to blow the shit out of poorly equipped ordinary people. The future won't be exciting dogfights with fighters 50ft from each other, it's boring-ass capital ships nailing each other with high energy beams at the speed of light from thousands of miles away with whoever has the best tech winning out. Flashes of light in the dark, hence the equivalent of the drug factory scene here really does feel like a glimpse of the future.

I don't know...it's flawed, it's largely earnest and SRS BSNS as fuck, and the callback lines are groan-worthy but despite that, it feels like a very worthy effort and certainly deserving of a watch. Plus that body horror scene, fucking hell.

I don't expect to convince anyone - shit, I only went because a mate nagged me to go with them, and even then, I was expecting to rip the piss out of it throughout - but yeah, I'm glad I did see it now.

Watched this today with a friend, also a Robocop fan. We both went in with different expectations (me hoping to like it, he expecting to hate it) and both came out... having really enjoyed the film. In my case entering with no baggage was easy (I accepted this was its own film and not a scene-for-scene reimagining, so didn't judge it on the original's merits), while my friend was pleasantly surprised to be watching a film which was happy to be its own thing.

It had flaws (notably the ending was clumsy), and I think it would have done better without the obvious callbacks to the original (musical and dialog-wise), but I was able to enjoy the satire, the drama and the action throughout, it was nice to see a main villain who was actually believable (amoral rather than eeeevil, and played well), and while (as Space Renegade Ulala says) it can be too earnest for its own good, the commentary on free will and on the use of technology and money in the modern world was welcome.

Is it the original Robocop? Not at all, but it isn't trying to be. What it is is a solid slice of near-future-sci-fi morality tale, and absolutely doesn't deserve to be lumbered with the soulless drudgery that was the Total Recall remake.

I saw this for free today.

I can't really hate it, it was solid and passable. Its one of the better reboots/reimagings and at least tried to do something different with the material for better or worst. Robocop is a franchise so I don't understand why people are so determined to hate it from the get go, but I enjoyed it for what it was. There's only been 1 decent Robocop film and that was the original, and maybe one decent comic spin off which was Terminator Vs Robocop. The rest of the Robocop stuff i.e 2,3, cartoon and Tv series is garbage and this film certainly tops them.

Definitely a rent at least.

Another thing I really liked was the way the film effectively showed that yes, Robocop on patrol and in a gunfight is a daunting prospect but Robocop leading an investigation is outright terrifying for anyone involved in any degree of criminal activity, hence they've no choice but to shut him down because something that good is going to expose all kinds of dirty secrets in no time. At full throttle he made Sherlock look like a chump.

I don't really know to be honest. I think it is just the way cinema is going in general. The US market is becoming less and less important in terms of revenue.

Escape Plan still amazes me

Domestic: $25,132,228 18.3% + Foreign: $112,192,336 81.7% = Worldwide: $137,324,564

not even 20% of the total gross came from the US. That's the biggest split I've seen to date for a large opening picture.

Are we talking Lego Movie or Robocop? In the case of the former, it will indeed have an excellent second frame (and cross $100M). If we're talking Robocop, this weekend is essentially its one shot. Next weekend and the one after, it'll get taken down by other movies sharing the same or very similar demographics.

Yeah, I was talking Lego. Sorry, didn't make that clear.

Robocop ended up doing about ok - Lego Movie was down just 28% on last weekend, and will be looking to clear $140M by the end of Monday.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/02/16/lego-movie-about-last-night-rule-box-office-over-presidents-day-weekend/

Sony’s remake of Robocop was presumed to dominate the weekend even a few months ago. Yes, there are three remakes of 80’s films this weekend, all of which were PG-13 revamps of R-rated originals. But due to mediocre reviews, a lack of any real buzz, and The LEGO Movie stealing away the key teen boy demographic, it just wasn’t to be. The marketing was fine, with engaging trailers, saturation level coverage, and a solid cast to do press, but the audience just wasn’t there compared to (perhaps unreasonable) expectations.

Robocop opened on Wednesday and went into the weekend with $4.9 million. It added $21.5 million over the Fri-Sun weekend, with $25 million estimated for the Fri-Mon haul. It’s earned $26.4 million since Wednesday and should earn $30 million by Monday, with $4.5 million of that in IMAX. It held up over the weekend, benefitting from not being a romantically-targeted option for viewers after Friday. Of course, had it not opened on Wednesday, we’d be talking about a $25 million Fri-Sun debut and a $30 million Fri-Mon opening, which sounds a lot better than a $30 million six-day haul.

As I often say, don’t open your film on a Wednesday if A) it’s not very good, because word will get out by Friday and B) doesn’t have fans frothing in anticipation, because they’ll just wait until Friday anyway. It’s not a disaster mostly because it cost $100 million instead of $150-$200 million. But considering its anemic $2.8 million Wednesday (it pulled in 7.5x its Wednesday number by Sunday, about on par with King Kong) and its comparatively leggy weekend, it’s a pretty big miss. I don’t expect legs on this one, as it’s just not very good and there is plenty of demographically similar product over the next few weeks.

The hand was just strange. Did it serve any purpose?. Its not like he was going to give handjobs anytime soon.

I thought it was a good thing that it was just left to the imagination. Like somebody mentioned earlier, you can interpret it as a symbolic human element to connect with the public.

Or it's because they just couldn't find a way to let him use an iPhone with a robot hand rimshot.gif

The main thrust of the film is that Omnicorp desperately want to get their drones on the US streets but the public and Congress aren't terribly keen on the idea of robots shooting shit up with no human element involved. The hand is symbolic, representing a 'real' human being pulling the trigger and thus someone capable of hesitation or remorse. It also shows the divide between the man and the machine as his right hand uses a taser while the mechanical left blows the fuck out of eveything with a machine gun.

It's all a smokescreen, though as in combat situations Murphy is pretty much controlled by the AI and he only thinks he's in control.