Robocop Remake - February 2014 - PG13 Rating Confirmed at ComicCon

Robo_1

I had Robocop figures when I was a kid. Toys were being made for kids back with the original.

You were born in 85, right?

the film came out in 88, what toys? :angry:

Most toys are not suitable for under 3s because of the small parts.

You were born in 85, right?

the film came out in 88, what toys? :angry:

Most toys are not suitable for under 3s because of the small parts.

Well I didn't mean when I was under 3. I had the toys when I was around 8 or something.

I had a Robocop figure that came with the seat thing he recharges with at the police station. Plus I had the car below (not the jeep), with the little Robocop.

Robocop-2.jpg

Anyone remember the game on the Amiga or Commodore 64? I forget which.

It was awesome.

you forget which?

Start with the arcade game, and then work your way through Oceans movie licence / home conversions on all formats.

The ST/Amiga versions were best, cos you could edit the robocop sprites :angry:

you forget which?

Start with the arcade game, and then work your way through Oceans movie licence / home conversions on all formats.

The ST/Amiga versions were best, cos you could edit the robocop sprites :wacko:

There were a couple of near total graphical conversions floating about - someone replaced Robo with Arnie's Terminator etc.. ;)

Game was cripplingly easy though - once you found out that by holding space to constantly jump, you could stand still and shoot the ED209's while taking minimal damage it was a walkover...

The second game was very forgettable, but the third (the 3D one based on Robocop 3) was really good - much better than the film!

Years ago, when I was on a cross-channel ferry, I noticed there was a RoboCop arcade game. Great, I thought. I have a few 10ps to burn and 75 mins to kill.

I'm about to put my money in when...wait...what's this?

The door on the front of the machine, where cashiers can remove the money, was open! I could press a little lever and get infinite credits! Joy of joys! A couple of older boys came along and we took it in turns to play through the entire game for free.

Best channel crossing ever.

It was awesome.

My nan bought me robocop 2 cartridge for my C64, i asked for james pond 2 robocod :wacko:

but actually the game was pretty good, murphy was a slippery fucker though, he moved around as if he was on roller skates

It was awesome.

I had the C64 lightgun game. Can't remember much other than having to shoot the bad guy holding a woman hostage in front of him.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but:

I used to go into Ocean regularly as a kid, getting free promo shit and posters.

One day I popped in and bumped into an artist working there, so I started badgering him for free stuff.

He wondered off and came back at what seemed like an age later with this huge rolled up poster. He handed it to me and said, don't tell anyone where you got this from as it's the only one, we've just used it for the games box art.

I got home and unwrapped the package to find a fucking huge Robocop 2 poster. Fucking well chuffed, it covered one of my bedroom walls.

I'd love to try and find the guy that gave me the poster now, I've worked with quite a few of the old Ocean guys so I should try and hunt him out.

Get The Fuck out -

from Slashfilm

When MGM first announced they were developing a Robocop remake, I was one of the few who thought it had potential. But when I heard they were thinking of making the project in 3D, I lost all hope. This would have probably result in a PG-13 theme park ride on the big screen. I mean, that’s like making a PG-rated Beverly Hills Cop movie.

What some might not remember, RoboCop was originally given an X rating by the MPAA for scenes of “excessive violence.” Paul Verhoeven trimmed blood and gore from the most violent scenes for an R rating, but the X-rated director’s cut was later released by Criterion. I mention this because I want to establish that Robocop was not a kids movie, and was certainly not PG-13. My hopes for the remake have remained dead, until tonight.

The Hollywood Reporter claims that“director Darren Aronofsky among others has recently been in to discuss” the project. For those who don’t know, Aronofsky broke onto the scene with the math thriller Pi, and made a name for himself with the adaptation of Requiem for a Dream. His films impressed top Hollywood brass, and at one point he was hired to develop a reboot of Batman, before Christopher Nolan took over the franchise. His take on Batman was said to be too Dark for Warner Bros’ tastes. His 2006 film The Fountain was one of the best of that year, hailed by critics, but was horribly marketed and made little at the box office (it’s worth noting that it wasn’t an easy sell). He’s currently in post production on The Wrestler which will attempt to do for Pro Wrestling what Rocky did for Boxing (you can read our script review here).

If there is anyone I trust with a reboot of Robocop, it would be Aronofsky. But the news is rather odd considering he’s scheduled to direct Brad Pitt and Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter, based on the real life story of boxer “Irish” Micky Ward. Last I heard the film was scheduled to begin production in September 2008, which might not align with MGM’s hope to have Robocop in theaters by 2010. But can you even imagine what Clint Mansell’s kick ass score action might sound like? Also, Aronofsky has expressed his disdain for CG, which might mean more practical effects and model work.

• 2 weeks later...

From /film

Earlier this month, we reported that Aronofsky was one of several directors in talks to helm MGM’s RoboCop revamp. And before that, the studio released a teaser poster for the 2010 tentpole, as seen above. Now, Bloody Disgusting has received a logline for the film and they also confirm that Aronofsky is close to signing…

“Present day Los Angeles, 20 years after the termination of the RoboCop program, the city decides to reinstate the program.”

Yeah, but if they set it in LA they can have hilarious cameos from Sly Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger as themselves! "Thanks Robo!"

At which point Robo snaps the fuckers in half over his knee, utters a menacing one-liner and stomps off to slam some people's heads in car doors.

"In the city of Los Angeles in the present day, 20 years after the Robocop program was terminated 20 years ago, the present day city of Los Angeles decides, 20 years later, to reinstate the Robocop program 20 years after it was terminated in Los Angeles, in the present day, 20 years later."

Oh dear God I think I've gone insane.