Robocop Remake - February 2014 - PG13 Rating Confirmed at ComicCon

Robo_1

Remake is a bad idea, but how about having Nancy Allen as female Robocop as possible new storylines idea.

Hmm maybe,

But knowing Hollywood, they'd give her massive robo-bosoms, get famke Janssen to play her, and just fuck everything up, and miss the point as they tend to do with with re-making films that were great to start with.

The TV series isnt great but enjoyable, especially considering the budget they were given.

I can imagine Robocop:2005 now, it'll recieve a 12A rating and have Mild Fantasy Peril and one use of the word fuck.

• 3 years later...

No news and then suddenly it appears on an MGM press release.

From AICN

An interesting press release about MGM seems to confirm the studio's interest in a project we'd heard alluded to a while back. It dropped off the radar for a while (we were all hoping this one would just go away), but now, unfortunately, now it's back.

Here's a snippet from the release:

MGM is planning an exciting fall and winter release schedule. In partnership with Sony Pictures Entertainment, MGM will bring new installments of two of its tentpole franchises -- the new James Bond movie QUANTUM OF SOLACE and Steve Martin in PINK PANTHER 2. MGM will also release United Artists' international thriller VALKYRIE, starring Tom Cruise on October 3. With the appointment of Parent, MGM will enter its new phase of evolution by focusing on its major movie franchises highlighted by JAMES BOND and PINK PANTHER sequels, THE HOBBIT, THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR 2, THE OUTER LIMITS, ROBOCOP, DEATH WISH and FAME, among others.

Most of the projects listed here ('cept for maybe OUTER LIMITS...don't know what they're doing with that) are already known, or we've already covered.

BUT...

ROBOCOP!?!?!?!

In the past, we've heard rumblings that a new ROBOCOP movie was feasible...but its blatant inclusion in a press release suggests that maneuverings may be further along than we knew.

Needless to say, it's an extremely safe bet that a resurrected ROBOCOP franchise would be nowhere near as ballsy, edgy, or socially satirical as its source material (especially Verhoeven's film)- our age of hyper-sensitivity and over-amped political correctness would never allow it.

If it really is set for a fall and winter release how come we haven't heard anything new about this project for a couple of years?

My biggest concern with that press release, is that Robocop is mentioned in the also-ran part, highlighted after Pink Panther 2. One thing the Robocop franchise doesn't need (besides a flat out remake) is another cheap straight to DVD like affair.

A franchise re-boot (something along the lines of Robo's been on ice for a few years), lined up as one of the summer block busters is what I want to see. Not another producer making apologies for the cheap cgi because the suit took all the budget!

Still, I do remain hopeful this time out. With Terminator coming back to screens soon (already if you include the Sarah Conner: Chronicles), and 80's franchises like Batman and Indy making come backs, I think the time is right for a return to Robocop, just as long as they treat it as a major franchise, and not easy money.

Last I heard, most of the old team were prepared to come back, and after seeing Weller recently in 24, he could still do it. His voice sounds almost robotic, he really was perfectly cast.

A franchise re-boot (something along the lines of Robo's been on ice for a few years), lined up as one of the summer block busters is what I want to see. Not another producer making apologies for the cheap cgi because the suit took all the budget!

A 12A Robocop? No thanks.

Which wasn't a summer blockbuster. ;)

Alright then, I'll happily settle on it being a big bold and violent New Year release :)

The only point I was really making, was that I'd like to see some real investment go into a new Robocop film. Everything since Robocop 2 has been done on a shoe string. Robocop 3 was pushed out purely to save Orion pictures from going bust, the series was... well aside from one or two great moments, so kiddy friendly that it missed the entire point, and Prime Directives was eight hours of Robocop getting beaten up :(

I'd love to see a new Robocop film, but the franchise has taken such a kicking over the years, I just hope any future instalments are pushed as major film releases, and not more cash-in rubbish that the franchise has been based around for the last 15 years.

Unless of course Verhoeven comes back. They can give him 50 quid, a bottle of ketchup and a man dressed in bacofoil, and I'd still be there.

• 2 months later...

Did rambo4 do well at the box office? if they made a darker gory action packed robocop without in your face CGI it would be HuuuUGE. Every single 20-30 year old male in the world would wanna see it :) Even the theme tune is great.