Sign in to follow this  
Robo_1

Robocop Remake - February 2014 - PG13 Rating Confirmed at ComicCon

Whilst it's on one of the thinnest rumours I've heard in a long while, the thought alone gives me the shivers.

The Source

The following is a direct word-for-word copy of a article I read in a french magazine that conducted a interview with Proya's...

Final Point Mag: Hello, how are you??

AP: I'm well, thanks

FP: DO you feel I,Robot was well recieved by the public??

AP: Yes, and No. I think that some fans of the robot books really were dissapointned and I am truly saddened by that fact.

FP: But, were YOU happy with your ultimate vision for the film?

AP: Absolutely. Umm, you know, it's not so much(when your doing science fiction) that you create something stalwart or Oscar worthy, It's more of a(complete) sense of stylized storytelling.

FP: So you like to invigorate 20 out of 100 people rather than 100 people who will not appreciate the film for what it is???

AP: Yeah, you could say that and get away with it(hahahahahaha)

FP: So what's next??

AP: Ummmm, right now I'm contemplating my choices.

FP: Do you plan on doing other Issac Asimov insipred films??

AP: No. Not right now. Currently I'm trying to realisticly find a way to restart the Robocop films.

FP: Really?? YOu wanna give us any info on the specifics??

AP: Well, I'll tell you that I'm going to direct a remake of the(1987) orginal. And after that who knows. I just began writing a script.

FP; Cool. Well I wish you the best of luck, and we hope to talk to you soon.

AP: My pleasure

Whilst I enjoyed both IRobot and The Crow, you just know any remake of Robocop would land the film in CG hell. By all means have a stab at a sequel, (after all, there have been so many half cocked, cash in sequels and spin off's, I hardly think Alex Proyas can do much worse) but leave the first in all it's shining glory. The thought of another actor playing Murphy makes me feel nauseous.

Robocop. My favorite film ever. They can remake it all they want. It'll never touch Verhoeven's and Neumeier's masterpicece.

Here's to Paul, Ed, Phill Tippet, Rob Bottin, Basil Poledouris, Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Curtwood Smith, Miguel Ferrer and Ronny Cox.

Robocop. My favorite film ever. They can remake it all they want. It'll never touch Verhoeven's en Neumeier's masterpicece.

Here's to Paul, Ed, Phill Tippet, Rob Bottin, Basil Poledouris, Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Curtwood Smith, Miguel Ferrer and Ronny Cox.

and Paul McCrane, who, lets face it, was the real star :unsure:

DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TOUCH ROBOCOP!!!!

"Let's give Robocop more emotion and understanding of his actions and empathy for the criminals so that they may be offered the chance to see the error of thier ways and become valued members of society" :unsure:

It's strange. This plan to remake Robocop is like the plot of Robocop 2, only in real life. And with Robocop films instead of actual Robocops. If that makes sense.

Why does robocop need to be remade? Its not old, and looks just as good now as it did then. And theres not even anything wrong with it, it doesnt have one terrible scene that needs to be changed or anything. Robocop 4 though, could be enjoyable IF they keep to the 1st and 2nd ones feel.

Both Verhoevan, Neumier and even Peter Wellar have expressed interest in returning to the Robocop franchise, with Paul saying something along the lines of doing a futuristic Robocop, where he's just been pulled out of stasis, and the logical conclusions of today's problems are all played out in full.

It's also worth noting that Robocop is now a Sony property, so it's not beyond reason that they may see something marketable in the Robocop name. After all, Hollywood seems increasingly desperate to pillage all it can out of re-makes and comic book franchises, so I see no real reason why Robocop couldn't be successfully re-launched in some form. But a remake is as unnecessary as it is unwelcome, even Verhoeven dismissed the idea when he was promoting the DVD box set.

I'd love to see the old team come back and do the character some justice though.

Bitches leave!

And leave the original Robocop alone, thanks very much. Agree that perhaps they could revitalise the series with a new film - perhaps a parallel storyline, or a new sequel or something, but there's no need to just re-hash the first film. It would never be as good.

Robocop is one of the best films ever. It's flawless. It has a unique visual style and satirical tone that a remake would undoubtedly fail to capture.

When I used to watch it as a youn 'un (I assume Robocop is the film most watched by underage kids ever. Did anyone here not see this before they were 12?), I loved to watch Robocop kicking ass.

As an adult, it's clearly the OCP scenes which are the best. The scenes of 80s corporate filth fucking each other over and eventually actually killing each other are peerless.

I also now appreciate the pathos of the scene where Robo returns to his home to find it empty. The way his family only appear as memories is very moving. The music is fantasic in that scene.

The baddest baddies, shocking violence, a scathingly witty script, an evil stop-motion robot and colourful characters. It's the ultimate comic book movie.

I remember seeing Robocop for the first time and then spending days walking around making the "kerchunk" sounds for each footstep. I also did the whole move-your-body-first-then-your-head bit. Hehe.

One of my favourite shots was just after Robocop has had the crap beaten out of him by ED-209 at the OCP building and he is trying to get away from the massed ranks of cops. There is a low angle shot, almost from floor level, with Robo crawling towards us with the police in silhouette shooting him remorselessly. It was only on for a second or so but was so sad. <_<

CJ

Also the DVD has probably the best commentary I've yet heard. It's Verhoeven and Neumeier, and they talk about the themes of the film rather than where this or that bit was shot or how long it took to do the SFX. They are obviously very intelligent people, and it's fascinating.

I like the bit where Verhoeven talks about taking the Wall Street idea one step further. In that film, they talk about killing each other. In Robocop, they actually kill each other. All the Christ analogy stuff is great, as is the stuff about the cuts for violence actually making the film more disturbing as it blunts the OTT aspect.

I remember seeing Robocop for the first time and then spending days walking around making the "kerchunk" sounds for each footstep. I also did the whole move-your-body-first-then-your-head bit. Hehe.

One of my favourite shots was just after Robocop has had the crap beaten out of him by ED-209 at the OCP building and he is trying to get away from the massed ranks of cops. There is a low angle shot, almost from floor level, with Robo crawling towards us with the police in silhouette shooting him remorselessly. It was only on for a second or so but was so sad. <_<

CJ

seconded

also

"I can feel them, but I cannot remember them"

No, shave, he was acid-faced emil...

Jesus! I've only just realised that ER's Rocket Romano was Emil!

I did spot him (with a youthful head of hair) in Fame a few months ago though.

When I used to watch it as a youn 'un (I assume Robocop is the film most watched by underage kids ever. Did anyone here not see this before they were 12?), I loved to watch Robocop kicking ass.

Yes, my mate when I was in school was left with a babysitter for the summer holidays while his parents went to work. Once we found out that she would go to the videoshop and hire out 18 rated films for us it turned out to be a good thing.

Please go to the video shop and get us Predator, Robocop, Die Hard and Aliens.

B)