Sign in to follow this  
Droo

Best Trick, Cheat Or Bug In An Arcade Game..

Handcuffs with Guile on the original version of SFII was quite amusing, if pointless. Killer Insinct also had a tonne of glitches within the game itself, the arcade version that is. (Fucked up Ultras, slow mo-ultras, full screen ultras...)

Fighting games are notoriously bad for glitches. SFIII's/MvsC2 unblockables for example. CvsS2 roll cancelling, however, HAS TO BE THE WORST GLITCH EVER.

Edit: I should really learn to read other peoples posts...

Edit edit:

And also the trick to turn Dhalsim invisible, in the same game. This glitch is rumoured to have inspired his Teleport move in the subsequent games.

I am so sure that this used to reset the machine.

Lots of keypress cheats in modern fighting games, of course. Mortal Kombat onwards. I especially enjoyed the ones from Killer Instinct (As Saurian at NTSC-UK has said, it was a lousy competitive game, but was brilliant to play just to try and 'break' the combo system and dig up stuff).

The 'sudden death' sky platform stage was awesome.

Guile's glitches remain my favourite 'cheats' ever, though.

Handcuffs with Guile on the original version of SFII was quite amusing, if pointless. Killer Insinct also had a tonne of glitches within the game itself, the arcade version that is. (Fucked up Ultras, slow mo-ultras, full screen ultras...)

Fighting games are notoriously bad for glitches. SFIII's/MvsC2 unblockables for example. CvsS2 roll cancelling, however, HAS TO BE THE WORST GLITCH EVER.

Could you elaborate on these please? They sound rather interesting!

In the arcade version of Slapfight, at the very beginning, just fly without shooting anything.

After travelling up about a screen's worth, you get every single power-up added to your ship at once; you end up taking over the entire screen, filling it with ordnance. Cue massive slow-down, unfortunately.

Exactly like the Super Nashwan power in Xenon II Megablast, only with no time limit. Except there's no way to avoid losing power-ups to enemy fire, unfortunately.

In the arcade version of Slapfight, at the very beginning, just fly without shooting anything.

After travelling up about a screen's worth, you get every single power-up added to your ship at once; you end up taking over the entire screen, filling it with ordnance. Cue massive slow-down, unfortunately.

Exactly like the Super Nashwan power in Xenon II Megablast, only with no time limit. Except there's no way to avoid losing power-ups to enemy fire, unfortunately.

That's what I said earlier :D .

That's what I said earlier  :lol: .

D'Oh! I scanned the thread looking for that one before posting (as it's well impressive when you see it).

You could be right about having to get shot; I *thought* you just flew and got the kit if you weren't hit, but now you mention that you kept your hands off the controls until you got hit, that certainly rings a bell. Ah well, it *was* about 20 years ago (1986 it would have been).

I can't work out how we found that one out; someone must have been bored.

I *can* remember accidentally finding out about using The Force in the original Star Wars arcade game, as a result of a drunken bet ("Bet you can't do the trench without shooting the fireballs, betcha").

How did you get to the heaven levels on New Zealand Story again? i remember working out how to do it ages ago.. don't you have to lose your last life in a certain way? and it only works on particular levels?

swainy: did you mean invincible rather than invisible in DD? i remember a guy in an arcade in florida swearing that there was a way to activate an invincibility cheat. he tried to show me how to do it but couldnt manage it. years later i found a DD machine on Eastbourne pier where the cheat seemed to have been activated and the machine left alone. Billy's life bar was empty but it let me carry on playing and taking hits and never die. once i clocked the game im fairly sure it started again at the beginning with full life again and the cheat still active.

Could you elaborate on these please? They sound rather interesting!

TooHectic's posts in this thread should give you the idea of most of the SF2:WW glitches.

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=Trivia

There's plenty of info about on KI. Normally doing a crounching Fierce (or whatever it was called in KI) along with a specific set of repititions would result in the Ultra getting mauled. It's been that long (9 years :unsure:) that I've even forgotten the names of the characters. Orchid had one with cr.fierce into reverse charge flip kicksx3 into ultra that would be slo-mo. Something like that. Thunder also had a buffered uppercut into Ultra that went slo-mo and also had the opponent on the other side of the srceen. With all the hits connecting.

SFII:3S has about 3-4 unblockables. Urien has loads of different variations involving his Aegis reflector super. It involves charge partitioning and the dodgy timing that all supers/specials have in that game.

Example: Shoulder tackle is <- charge-> k. However, the move will come out if you do <- charge -> <- k the move will still come out. This also gives you time to recharge and thus juggle the opponent and, also I believe, get on the other side of the opponent to make the moves (Reflector) unblockable. I dunno I play Ken, Dudley, Hugo so I'm not very up on the exact process. I'm sure someone with the knowledge will correct me.

Oro also has one, I know even less about this one.

Ibuki apparently has one where you throw a dagger as you jump (just prior to the crossover point then input and second QCF and punch to do the SA1. This apparently works as an unblockable but it's unconfirmed.

MvsC2. Sentinal's crouching mouth laser is apparently unblockable in some situations. (W/assist I'm guessing) I dunno, I know even less about MvsC2. There's probably loads of others.

CvsS2 roll cancelling is just annoying. C, A, N grooves all have roll. Input the roll just prior to the last command.

Example: Blanka RC Electricity. (Drumming motion) lp, mp, hp, lp+lk, mp. The electricity will come out, not the roll. However, the invincibility frames of the roll will, giving you a very low risk move.

Honda RC Headbutt: <- Charge (hit lp+lk)->p. I tend to hit the roll as I slide to the desired punch. Gives a flying move with invincibility. Good for punishing fireball whores.

RC SPD, Honda 360 and others are all cheap as hell.

I dunno, I'm going to have missed a whole lot of shit off. I'm typing this at work and I'm rushing. I can try to recap later and cover up all the stuff I've fluffed/skimmed over (that Urien stuff in particular). SRK will have most the answers...

Edity edit: Here's the Urien thread -> http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77831

The one a step up will have stuff on charge partitioning (the stuff I badly explained in the example)