Mario Kart Gp Arcade

mrsambarlow

i thought double dash was alright to be honest. Had much fun in multiplayer, my only dissapointment was the cheap AI (ie last place seems to get decent weapons and can easily get 1st place on the last lap etc).

i always thought that. for example, why give last person a blue shell [the weapon that only targets the person that is in first place] ?

I mean, it doesn't benefit the person at all, but if you are in first place, someone who has no chance of taking you out, hits you with this dirty weapon and the chances are you will loose you're position. it was fucking stupid and that i thought was the biggest let down in the game.

Ive watched all the vids of this new Mario Kart and very happy with it.

If they do port it, Id rather they do it as a launch title for the Revoltion. Perhaps add some extra tracks (I heard the arcade version already will have 24), add some new characters (I think its a good decision to exclude the weak characters - ie toadette, diddy kong, waluigi) and just put the big guns in there. Make it an online game. Upgrade the gfx a bit to take advantage of the revolutions better gfx chip.

Perhaps the camera thing could be done on the port as well, but im not that fussed. If it was online id scream like a school girl.

The weapons in MK DD were horrible i thought, way to much being hit by stuff, especially as you couldnt have shells spinning arounf you to protect you.

Since MK64, I've seriously wanted a Mario Kart game without the fiddly weapons. A Mario Kart that relies on driving skills... Doubt it'll happen though. :D

so, has anyone ever played RACE ON! ?

There's one at Star City in Birmigham. Good arcade fun and it has the most blatant catch up system ever. As soon as you take the lead your max speed automatically decreases so that everyone else can catch up.:D

These screens look pretty early, mind.

aou_n09.jpg

That map, for example, is clearly a dummy placeholder because according to the map, Pac-Man should be either right on top of a left hander or and the start of a straight leading to a left hander.

In reality, he's actually approaching a right-left chicane.

Not to mention that the coin system isn't implemented, the weapons aren't working and some screens are missing the under-kart shadowing.

You complete and utter nerd.

i always thought that. for example, why give last person a blue shell [the weapon that only targets the person that is in first place] ?

I mean, it doesn't benefit the person at all, but if you are in first place, someone who has no chance of taking you out, hits you with this dirty weapon and the chances are you will loose you're position. it was fucking stupid and that i thought was the biggest let down in the game.

The blue sheel would also hit anyone else that got in the way. Also, the karts were always tightly placed so there was a possibility of overtaking the car in 1st place and go up a level.

I can certainly see that you're someone who's looking for some originality in the kart genre and are disappointed with the current screenshots.... I think we need to bear in mind that this is an arcade game, not a home console game. An arcade game needs to be immediate and easy to play so I'm not surprised the track design is relatively basic. For that reason, it may well be a lot of fun, but you'd expect a number of enhancements for a home version.

What you say is true, of course: this new Mario Kart GP game needs to be considered within the context for which it was made for --the arcade. As such, there are certain different criteria that have to be taken in mind when developing for that environment; and it seems to me that the central axiom upon which the development of this game is based is accessibility and immediacy --hence the simple track design.

However, I'm still very unsure of the course Namco seems to be taking with the Mario Kart formula, especially after seeing the videos on GameSpot. I admit that in this case I am a bit more worried because I can see very similar developments in this game with the history of F-Zero AX --another Nintendo-branded arcade game by which I was rather disappointed. I was disappointed by F-Zero AX because it posited style over substance, providing a true entertainment ride that was meant to amaze and entertain the player without taxing the brain very much. (The Disneyland-like arcade cabinet helped quite a bit in the illusion.) Yes, in its transformation to F-Zero GX it was improved substantially, but I was most nonplussed by the fact that Amusement Vision and Nintendo both showed a worrying recalcitrant philosophy towards inhibiting any quantitative advancement for the franchise.

That is why the direction of this new arcade iteration of Mario Kart comes as a disappointment, because it looks like the same thing is occurring. In fact, in many ways, it seems a very regressive step in terms of the franchise. The developers of this new game seem to have ditched the wonderful track designs of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! in particular, and it seems a shame to me that there will be nothing in the arcade version to match courses like Daisy's Cruiser or D.K. Mountain. Instead, we get the bastard child of Mario Kart 64 and Pirates of the Caribbean: short, flat courses (in every sense of the word, again) that are more amusement park rides and sight-seeing opportunities with some "wacky racing" included. How depressing.

N.B.: It looks like I was wrong regarding the item system, although the information given by Game Watch was not as clear as I would have wanted. Or perhaps the new system applies to the one-player mode.... And how strange it is to be replying to someone who has the same username as that of a place I used to live in...

Mario Kart was all about accesssability, short sharp fast courses.

Its going back to what was good and getting rid of the flab eg out goes the shite cruise liner gimmick level and in comes the flat hardcore courses that made super mario kart the joint best game EVAR (other being goldeneye).

The developers of this new game seem to have ditched the wonderful track designs of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! in particular, and it seems a shame to me that there will be nothing in the arcade version to match courses like Daisy's Cruiser or D.K. Mountain. Instead, we get the bastard child of Mario Kart 64 and Pirates of the Caribbean: short, flat courses (in every sense of the word, again) that are more amusement park rides and sight-seeing opportunities with some "wacky racing" included. How depressing.

Hmm Im not 100% sure if agree with this though.

I must admit D.K Mountain is probably my favorite track in DD. I do hope there are some levels like this in MK Arcade, but as you say they do look farely simple.

But remember firstly the game has a way to go before being finished and they have only shown a few tracks (which could be "easy mode" for example). Secondly the tracks dont seem to be that flat, just watch some of the gamespot videos - they look fine.

I think shorter courses are the way to go though, because this was one of the best things in the original mario kart.

If anyone's interested, the official arcade flyer can be found here. It reveals a few other characters that have been added to the roster, more than one hundred (different?) kinds of items, and, as a glimmer of hope, a hint of promise of greater things (than what has been shown so far) in the twenty-four courses across six cups in the game...

But remember firstly the game has a way to go before being finished and they have only shown a few tracks (which could be "easy mode" for example). Secondly the tracks don't seem to be that flat, just watch some of the GameSpot videos - they look fine.

Yes; perhaps I am overreacting just a little bit, especially in terms of the tracks. As I've said before, I don't agree with the direction this game is taking, but I'll try to reserve judgment on the game until I get to play it.

Can you read Japanese? If so, what does it say in the lower-right corner regarding the previous installments of Mario Kart?

Yes, I can read a bit of Japanese (to a point). It's nothing really important: just the (official?) sales figures for each of the previous installments in the Mario Kart series --although the text at the bottom of the table is much too pixelated for me to read, so I'm not sure if these statistics correspond to global or Japanese sales figures. Anyway, in translation:

Mario Kart Series: Amount of Games Shipped
  • Super Mario Kart (SFC, 1992): 8,760,000
  • Mario Kart 64 (N64, 1996): 9,870,000
  • Mario Kart Advance/Super Circuit (GBA, 2001): 4,770,000
  • Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (NGC, 2003): 3,820,000

this game looks shit. really. much worse than MK:DD in any currently-apparent respect. hopefully the screens are very early. it just looks completely event-free, and the graphics are shocking, somewhere around N64-expansion-pak level. couple this with the Namco name and I expect it to be arse, frankly.

yours, a big Mario Kart fan.

MK:DD may not have been anywhere near perfect, but Double Dash:

01092003145640-5.jpg

makes all we've seen of this arcade version look terrible.