Mario Kart Gp Arcade

mrsambarlow

I've never played Mario Kart: DD properly but this does look a lot better in a strange way. It looks more arcade like and with it being from Namco it is bound to pay homage to the likes of Ridge Racer in terms of handling (I hope so anyway) and if it does come to the GC then I might just have to purchase one.

As Rob said though, chances of seeing this in the UK are rather slim to nill which is a shame.

As much as I'd love to play this now, surely it makes waaaayy more sense for Ninty/Namco to spend some quality time with it and have it as a Revolution launch title.

It's not gonna change anything this gen, but it could get them off to a flyer in the next.

aha! and it wasn't so long ago that there was that sad 'controversy' about DD! getting 5 in a certain mag. So you actually do think it's not all that good, then?

I personally thought the 5 score was about right, the game was a poor shadow of it's previous form (N64 wasn't much better), loosing all of the skill and mastery that made the SNES version, one of the greatest games ever, and a title that I still play today.

If like someone said, Namco have taken this back to pure bare bones racing, without all the 'gimmicks' of the DD, then there's a good change of this being the sequel that everyone has been waiting for.

As Rob said though, chances of seeing this in the UK are rather slim to nill which is a shame.

I'm sure the Namco arcades will get them in. They often get Japanese import games, sometimes with English translated instructions stuck on the cabinets.

I'd be suprised if we don't see it over here; maybe not wide spread, but certainly in the bigger arcades.

Tradition says there'll only be one Mario Kart this generation (for GC), so either this isn't coming out on teh GC, ever, or it'll be on Revolution in some form. Or, now here's an idea, it's just for the arcade! :D And then i new MK will be developed and released about 4 yrs into Revolutions lifecycle...

Hmm... While somewhat interesting, I have to admit that I'm not very impressed with what Namco have shown so far. The problem is that it looks so... flat compared to Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. Just look at these other screenshots:

aou_n13.jpg

aou_n07.jpg

It's true that the game is not yet finished, but in many ways this looks like a backwards step for the Mario Kart series. The Jump function might been re-established (by stepping on the Acceleration and Brake at the same time, according to Watch-Impress); the game might feature a "Rubber Band" handling system; and the Item Selection system might have been modified as well (apparently, now you are given three random items before the start of every race, but you can't get them while racing); but the game itself is rather unimpressive and a bit unappealing as well. I thought this shot was emblematic of the situation:

aou_n08.jpg

I mean, even if I ignore the horrible cliché of a race being held near a park full of cherry blossoms, (in full bloom, natch) all of the verve and excitement of Mario Kart: Double Dash!! has been lost in favor of more "realistic" courses and unexciting graphics, (just look at the Wario model, for example) coupled with what seems to be rather simple track design. Granted, there is a chance that it might become interesting in the future, but for now I'm very disappointed with this game.

It looks like more of a straight up circuit racer - hence the flat tracks

I understand this point, but I also meant it in the sense of "uninteresting; lacking stimulating characteristics; having lost effervescence." To wit:

aou_n09.jpg

Sure, there might be something else about the game which I've yet to see, (especially since I haven't seen footage of it in motion) and it looks like there might be something interesting in the forest path up ahead in that track, but it still looks somewhat soul-less overall. Not to mention the fact that now there seem to be only a maximum of six karts on the track at the same time; when compared to Double Dash!!, which featured eight, this makes it already disappointing news.

Granted, there is a chance that it might become interesting in the future, but for now I'm very disappointed with this game.

Even on a board such as this, it never fails to surprise me when someone passes a comment such as this. It's just not possible to form an opinion such as as this based on a few screenshots of a game that's not released, play the game before dismissing it.

Dunedin

Even on a board such as this, it never fails to surprise me when someone passes a comment such as this.   It's just not possible to form an opinion such as as this based on a few screenshots of a game that's not released, play the game before dismissing it.

It depends on what you expect from what's being shown, of course. It's all well and good to say that you can't judge a game until you get to play it, but what happens if you strongly disagree with the visual style of the game, or the soundtrack is really not to your liking? You could certainly be disappointed with the game already without even having played it. In this case, I'm disappointed with the direction Namco seems to be taking with the Mario Kart license. I'm afraid that it might turn out to be like Mario Kart: Super Circuit: technically very accomplished, but without any charm or "soul" whatsoever. If this game had been called Super Pac-Man Kart Adventure (which would be interesting if it were based on the mazes of Pac-Man and Ms. Mac-Pan, with every feature included --even the dots; but that's another matter) I doubt that most people would be making such a fuss over this game.

And what's wrong with cherry blossom? It's a Japanese game and the cherry blossom is a major part of their culture... It's no different than having a golf course set in Scotland with castles in the background and grey sky.

It's too much of a nostalgic cliché, in my opinion, regardless of how nice it might look. (Unless, of course, there is a hanami scene in the game featuring characters from the Mario universe. Then it would make sense... :D)

and what's wrong with cherry blossom?  It's a japanese game and cherry blossom is a major part of their culture... 

it's no different than having a golf course set in scotland with castles in the background and grey sky.

I think the concern is that karts racing by would make the blossom fall...I for one couldn't possible live with such flagrant inconsistencies. Not to mention the fact that they're not even in blossom all the time!!!11111!!!11

:D

There would be no other reason to run it on the Triforce board would there?

Nintendo franchises and Triforce go hand in hand. You can't have the former without the latter, home conversion or no. I'd have thought that was obvious. You really think Nintendo would allow a Mario Kart game to be developed on someone else's hardware? Under any circumstances at all?

It depends on what you expect from what's being shown, of course. It's all well and good to say that you can't judge a game until you get to play it, but what happens if you strongly disagree with the visual style of the game, or the soundtrack is really not to your liking? You could certainly be disappointed with the game already without even having played it. In this case, I'm disappointed with the direction Namco seems to be taking with the Mario Kart license. If it had been called Super Pac-Man Kart Adventure (which would be interesting if it were based on the mazes of Pac-Man and Ms. Mac-Pan, with every feature included --even the dots; but that's another matter) I doubt that most people would be making such a fuss over this game.

It's absolutely fine to have your opinion, but:

"I'm extremely disapointed with this game"

is quite different from:

"I'm disappointed with the direction Namco seems to be taking"

Stating the former is fine when you've played the game, not before. Stating the latter is fine before you've played the game with, only screen shots or video footage to form your opinion. How a game plays is always the important factor.

Dunedin