Umd Pricing Announced..

Major Britten

Link

February 15, 2005 - When Sony Computer Entertainment revealed solid plans to introduce a small lineup of movies to the UMD format as early as April, one area was not addressed: price. How much can we expect to pay for movies on the miniature format?

While we still don't know American pricing for video UMDs, Sony Pictures Entertainment has gone on record with plans for Japan. SPE representatives reveal that while the final lineup of releases has yet to be set, Japan will see its first UMD releases in April, similar to America. Pricing for Japan is expected to be in the same range as current DVDs, which the representatives state is between 3,800 yen and 3,980 yen.

DVDs tend to cost more in Japan than they do in America, so we expect far cheaper pricing for the US. However, if pricing strategies remain the same in all territories, you should expect to pay DVD prices for UMD movies in April.

Not seen this posted anywhere else. Anyway it seems that Sony are going to charge people normal DVD prices for UMD disks. Somehow I can see this backfiring on Sony, whos going to pay £20 for a second copy of a DVD they already own, or pay for a UMD when they can get the DVD version with (probably) many more extras for a cheaper price (depending on the DVD)? :rolleyes:

They will pay it, partly for the street cred.

No they won't. They'll buy a 1Gb card and rip stuff over if they want to do such things. Only absolute fools or those with far more money (and space) than sense will pay £20 for a UMD movie!

No they won't. They'll buy a 1Gb card and rip stuff over if they want to do such things. Only absolute fools or those with far more money (and space) than sense will pay £20 for a UMD movie!

.::: Totally agree. Ironically this 'somewhat illegal move' (you know what I mean) might 'save' the PSP like it 'saved' the PS.

.::: Totally agree. Ironically this 'somewhat illegal move' (you know what I mean) might 'save' the PSP like it 'saved' the PS.

One of the posters on NTSC-UK is a Sky engineer, he posted a while back they were getting dev kits in to investigate the possibility of sending game demos to the PSP via WiFi or USB 2.0 from the next gen Sky+ boxes. Would be cool if they could figure out a way of doing the same for Box Office movies - £3.99 a pop say stored on your card for when you're going in a journey?

But is your average PSP owner going to have the knowledge/kit to rip a movie to a memory stick, not to mention the current price of a 1GB stick.

But is your average PSP owner going to have the knowledge/kit to rip a movie to a memory stick, not to mention the current price of a 1GB stick.

.::: You could say the same of modding consoles and that's pretty much accepted by everybody. Most parents can't tell the difference between an Xbox and a PS2, but they sure as hell know they can be modded and what kind of possibilites that offers.

If the investment means never paying again, they'll do it. Guaranteed. Unfortunately.

What Cyhwuhx said. It takes absolute minimal knowledge to rip a movie and put it on a memory stick. The play by play guides on the net could have a 6 year old do it.

And whatever it costs for a memory card is only, say, half a dozen full price UMDs. I can't think of anyone who'd rather buy UMDs regularly for PSP only play!

What I want to know is why anyone is paying £20 for a DVD. It's notas if you have to shop around, single disk DVD's are £12 in tesco's. UMD at the same price? works for me.

But yeah, why you would buy a UMD when you can rip it to Memory stick is beyond me.

Some of you are missing the point that DVDs cost more in Japan. We should not expect to be paying 20 quid for UMD movies, thats just the Japanese price. DVDs are very much over-priced in Japan.

-Jools

You're missing the point that they're going to be aiming for DVD RRPs in all regions; while this'll mean £10-15 UMDs from Play.com and the like, that's not exactly mouth-watering.

Some of you are missing the point that DVDs cost more in Japan. We should not expect to be paying 20 quid for UMD movies, thats just the Japanese price. DVDs are very much over-priced in Japan.

-Jools

Not really, I would say they were about the same price as the UK DVDs, although there are exceptions (like the LOTR extended editions being £50 without the statue in japan and them being £17 in ASDA here). Also single disk films in Japan are about £6, its only the special editions that are pricey, and I dont expect many extras for the UMD ones.

grossly overpriced.

I see the whole UMD movie thing being, like Mini Disc, a bit of a failure.

Recordable UMDs where I can shove my own movies on... fair enough. But that's what you'd use the memory stick for.

But if Sony and the other big movie studios get their way, we won't be able to copy versions of our own media anyway....

Admit it you guys. You just want a PSP to watch pr0n on it anywhere after taking a shite. Or before.

.::: Was there ever any other reason? That's the reason it's going to sell like mad to the adolescent demographic. Only one guy has to flash his pr0n during class on a PSP and Sony wins. Flawless victory.

I'm with Legendary. UMD movies seem pretty pointless, almost irrespective of price.

The chances of you wanting to watch a single movie on a PSP often enough to warrant a price tag of over a tenner are very slim.

Perhaps Sony plan that the UMD format can also be read by their next set of DVD players (which would make perfect sense), and that might shift copies, but they'll have to be able to compete with a DVD in terms of quality and extras and even then I'll want the UMD to play on all players.

And I've got a DVD player so I don't fancy buying another.

It's nice for Sony to say "You can watch movies on the PSP!", but the end fact is few are going to be bothered because of the cost of doing so.

I'm with Legendary. UMD movies seem pretty pointless, almost irrespective of price.

The chances of you wanting to watch a single movie on a PSP often enough to warrant a price tag of over a tenner are very slim.

Perhaps Sony plan that the UMD format can also be read by their next set of DVD players (which would make perfect sense), and that might shift copies, but they'll have to be able to compete with a DVD in terms of quality and extras and even then I'll want the UMD to play on all players.

And I've got a DVD player so I don't fancy buying another.

It's nice for Sony to say "You can watch movies on the PSP!", but the end fact is few are going to be bothered because of the cost of doing so.

o/\o

imo it would have been better for sony to release recordable disks and let people legally download movies (at £5 each maybe) and then let people record them on the disk and use it on their PSPs. This way they wouldnt be competing with the normal dvd market. I mean look at what apple has done for the mp3 market, sony could have done the same with movies on the net as well if they implemented it right.

• 9 months later...

I was thinking about this the other day. What's going to happen when the PSP dies? Surely by pushing the UMD movie side so hard Sony will be forced into using the UMD as the format for PSP2. Surely they won't just ditch it. It'd be great after buying all those movies to be told they're useless after one generation.