IGNORED

Xbox Burned My House Down!

fragglerock

Bollocks! 5 minutes on the phone entering my serial number etc only to then be told the call centre's closed. Couldn't they have announced that at the start of the call?!

I would order the cable online but I can find fuck all about it on www.xbox.com as instructed by the phonecall.

Any clues?

Am i doing this wrong?

Got the lead today, and plugged it in, lit up fine, but when i pushed the test, it went off. Not connected to the xbox at this stage, so hooked it up pressed reset and switched on, then pressed test again, light flashes and it goes off!

Basically, am i going to burn my house down if i play my xbox? Plus I don't see what else i can do, i have a new massive power cable, what other choise do i have?

Any ideas?

Am i doing this wrong?

Got the lead today, and plugged it in, lit up fine, but when i pushed the test, it went off. Not connected to the xbox at this stage, so hooked it up pressed reset and switched on, then pressed test again, light flashes and it goes off!

Basically, am i going to burn my house down if i play my xbox? Plus I don't see what else i can do, i have a new massive power cable, what other choise do i have?

Any ideas?

Did you even bother to follow the enclosed instructions?

:D

Am i doing this wrong?

Any ideas?

Yeah, do what harmunt said. :P

It's for the testing unit itself not the Xbox.

I think it's basically an MCB or even an RCD unit.

Just thought of an analogy for why I'm so annoyed by this: say instead of an Xbox, it's a car. Now the car has a fault with the brakes, but rather than tell us that, recall all the cars and fix the brakes, the manufacturer sends out millions of clip-on airbags.

The brakes are still faulty, so you'll still crash, but the airbag will save you!

Just thought of an analogy for why I'm so annoyed by this: say instead of an Xbox, it's a car. Now the car has a fault with the brakes, but rather than tell us that, recall all the cars and fix the brakes, the manufacturer sends out millions of clip-on airbags.

The brakes are still faulty, so you'll still crash, but the airbag will save you!

yeah it's a bit dodgy. I guess they thought no one would notice. We should complain to watchdog and then erm not send mine back because it's chipped.

Someone on Xbox-Scene just pointed out another valid concern with this whole treat-the-symptom-not-the-problem approach.

When Average Joe's Xbox fails to turn on (because his power supply finally suffers from the arc fault), what's he likely to do? Read the instruction manual that came with his replacement power cable? Nah, he binned that straight away. Figure out how to use the reset button? Well, maybe, but even if he does it will just trip again, and his Xbox still won't turn on.

It's quite likely, in fact, that he's going to try another power cable with his Xbox. Then, spark > teh deth.

Plus a lot of people who receive these power cables won't use them anyway, or will use them with the wrong Xbox.

Someone on Xbox-Scene just pointed out another valid concern with this whole treat-the-symptom-not-the-problem approach.

Maybe it's just MS's way of cleaning out the gene pool?

Come on, if you go down that route you're heading straight into "houses shouldn't be fitted with electrical sockets - we need a safer source of power!" territory. There's only so much anybody can do and I think a warning and a replacement cable with a booklet is probably plenty.

My power lead arrived today. But it's got a two-pin plug on it.

Have the useless bastards sent me the wrong one? (It was posted from Southall, not the States). Or is this what everyone's got?

What do I do - cut the plug off and use a normal one, or use a shaving adaptor or something? I'm a bit surprised to say the least.