IGNORED

Xbox Burned My House Down!

fragglerock

Yeah. Didn't Nintendo send out a pre-paid jiffy bag to return it?

Yes they did, along with a discount on a variety of new releases. I got GoldenEye 007 for about £30, IIRC.

I've had to get a new Xbox lead too. I wonder if they'll offer a discount on stuff.

I've noticed an electric-y crackling sound before when plugging the lead into the Xbox, so maybe it's for the best!

I've had it plugged in permanently for over 2 years. It's the only console that I leave plugged in, since it 'forgets' the time and date after a few hours if you don't....

.::: Mine too. Well except for sending it back to MS that one time. And moving to a new home.

Ahhh, finaly an answer for me. My power lead started crackling and being generally dodgy a few months ago. With Yod@'s help, I went down the route of opening up my Xbox to resolder the points where the power lead plugs into the Xbox, before figuring out it was literally just the lead.

Obviously at that point, I just replaced the lead - but hey, it'll be handy to have another.

Shit, that's actually a bigger problem than I had thought! I have a very old Xbox (v1.1 I *think*) so there's a good chance I'll be getting one of these big nasties :unsure: Not enough room behind my telly as it is!

It really sucks that MS are providing some big fancy circuit breaker rather than fixing the design fault with the PSU :ph34r: Sounds like even if you fixed it yourself, there's no guarantee it wouldn't get over-stressed and break again. And if you're not a really good solderer then I wouldn't fancy the chances of making a decent repair in the first place.

So rather than recall the affected Xboxes and replace the faulty power supply, MS send us out a device that still allows the power supply to fail but at least protects us from the fire hazard. The Xbox still bloody breaks though!

Mine arrived this morning......its fuc*ing huge. The box weights a ton !

same... holy fuck, it's a monster!!! i ordered it the day it was announced and today recieved a confirmation email telling me it would be 2-3 weeks to deliver. it arrived 10 minutes ago and it's HUGE! you're not gonna believe the pictures.

note the 'reset' and 'test' buttons... must be something odd to need this piece of kit.

http://www.firebaby.co.uk/xboxlead1.jpg

http://www.firebaby.co.uk/xboxlead2.jpg

:unsure:

same... holy fuck, it's a monster!!! i ordered it the day it was announced and today recieved a confirmation email telling me it would be 2-3 weeks to deliver. it arrived 10 minutes ago and it's HUGE! you're not gonna believe the pictures.

note the 'reset' and 'test' buttons... must be something odd to need this piece of kit.

http://www.firebaby.co.uk/xboxlead1.jpg

http://www.firebaby.co.uk/xboxlead2.jpg

:unsure:

Nice pic Crisp...i think you will agree though that they dont do the unit justice ! Is so huge !!!!!

.::: I thought they needed to just change a lead, not turn it into some kind of Mighty Morphin' Power Lead. (O_o)

Why?

Because it's a problem with some Xbox PSUs. Rather than replace almost every 1.0/1.1 with a power supply that won't fail due to dodgy solder joints, instead they've replaced the power cord so it won't set your house on fire when it does fail.

Because it's a problem with some Xbox PSUs. Rather than replace almost every 1.0/1.1 with a power supply that won't fail due to dodgy solder joints, instead they've replaced the power cord so it won't set your house on fire when it does fail.

.::: Ah like that... It still looks like overkill though. Wonder when mine will be delivered.

Got mine today as well.

The leads are bloody long. :(

My Xbox passed the test OK.

Mine arrived too. No sign of the lead for the boys X-brick though?

Someone test it for charging a PSP then? As its a normal 8 jack at the end I imagine its still fine to use, yes?