IGNORED

Xbox Burned My House Down!

fragglerock

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4274035.stm

Millions of Xbox cables 'faulty'

Microsoft has said it will replace more than 14 million power cables for its Xbox consoles due to safety concerns.

The company said the move was a "preventative step" after reports of fire hazard problems with the cables.

Xboxes made before 23 October 2003 for all regions but Europe need a new cable while consoles in Europe made before 13 January 2004 require a replacement.

Microsoft said it had received 30 reports of minor injury or property damage due to faulty cables.

Well, it turns out that I need a new one. I tried the website but it kept saying that my serial didn't work with the manufacture date. I called the phone line and it worked okay, I got through to someone to give my details and it was the worst quality line ever. She couldn't hear me, I couldn't hear her it took about 5-10 minutes to confirm she had all the right details.

I wish the website worked properly.

So they want your serial number, your address, your email, and your phone number.

I dare anyone who's been banned from LIVE to give them those details.

Maybe I'm just cynical and / or paranoid, but I smell a rat.

;)

Also, my 2 xboxes have been 'plugged in' for about 2 years + now. They never get hot when not in use. What is this 'standby mode' of which you speak? Power button on the front = on/off doesn't it? Where does 'standby' come into it? Not arguing semantics, this is a genuine question.

So they want your serial number, your address, your email, and your phone number.

I dare anyone who's been banned from LIVE to give them those details.

Maybe I'm just cynical and / or paranoid, but I smell a rat.

You're being paranoid man. They'll already have your name, address, email etc. from when you signed up using your credit card.

If you smell a rat, it'll be a barbequed one :lol:

I think Clive's right, it's no more risky than signing up for Live.

MS have always welcomed previously banned bods back into the Live fold so long as they use a new, unmodded Xbox haven't they? Seems unlikely they would use this information for anything nefarious.

Unless the new cables set MODDED Xboxes on fire... ;)

In fact, bollocks. This is the second time this has happend to me. There was an N64 power supply recall which saw my machine out of action for a week after just getting Goldeneye.

Out of all the intricate, sophisticated components that go into consoles they manage to botch power leads. Powerleads!

Anyone who leaves their Xbox plugged in 24/7 is clearly bonkers. It gets VERY warm, even when on standby..

Mine's been on since I got it ;) Standby at least. Ooer. I've actually left it probably on for 4 days straight before. Last minute thing where I went away for a long weekend in a hurry. It was fine though, phewy!

You're being paranoid man. They'll already have your name, address, email etc. from when you signed up using your credit card.

Sure, but they don't know the serial number of my Xbox as well. With those 2 things they might be able to... ooh, I dunno, prove I've got a chip or an updated bios, or something. :o Who knows.

I am probably just being paranoid, but... power cables faulty? Faulty plug - maaaaaaybe, but the fuse would surely blow before any components went (assuming they've correctly fused them). But the actual cable? How can it go wrong? If it's not up to the job it would never pass the BE safety standards or what have you.

Sounds truly odd to me. Microsoft should release more details or else they must suffer my suspicion. ;)