IGNORED

24 Discussion Thread - No Spoilers Please

keineboom

Hi there everybody,

Recently started getting into this great series after impulse buying the first season 'cos it was cheap in Asda. Me and the wife worked out way through season one in about a week, and have since bought season 2 and 3, currently 9 hours in and enjoying every second. Think i am enjoying the second season even more that the first, and was just wondering what your opinions are, favourite season etc?

Also please no spoilers, amazon ruined season one for me by giving away most of the plot in their description of season two!

Bastards!

Over to you

Hi there everybody,

Recently started getting into this great series after impulse buying the first season 'cos it was cheap in Asda. Me and the wife worked out way through season one in about a week, and have since bought season 2 and 3, currently 9 hours in and enjoying every second. Think i am enjoying the second season even more that the first, and was just wondering what your opinions are, favourite season etc?

Also please no spoilers, amazon ruined season one for me by giving away most of the plot in their description of season two!

Bastards!

Over to you

I had season one ruined by a trailer for season two that popped up on TV about four years ago. I only finished season one last week, but I still remembered the spoiler!

I'm looking forward to watching the next few seasons. Season one was one of the best things I've ever seen, and I just can't imagine it being topped.

I'm looking forward to watching the next few seasons. Season one was one of the best things I've ever seen, and I just can't imagine it being topped.

I'd say the later seasons are better, merely because they're plotted more for the 24 episode format. IIRC the first season was only originally comissioned for 12 episodes so they writing more on the fly whilst it was ongoing. The first half of Season One is fantastic, then it kinda loses it's direction imo due to this.

I'd say Season 2 is the best, but the current one is excellent too. I really can't see how it's going to pan out this time around.

I'd say the later seasons are better, merely because they're plotted more for the 24 episode format.  IIRC the first season was only originally comissioned for 12 episodes so they writing more on the fly whilst it was ongoing.  The first half of Season One is fantastic, then it kinda loses it's direction imo due to this.

That makes sense. The middle episodes are without doubt the pinnacle of the series. The second half had some cracking episodes though, especially the one where

Click For Spoiler
the girl has to plant a tracking device on the Serbian hitman, and the one where the safe house gets hit.
Senator Palmer's story really gets going later on as well.

I'd say the later seasons are better, merely because they're plotted more for the 24 episode format. IIRC the first season was only originally comissioned for 12 episodes so they writing more on the fly whilst it was ongoing. The first half of Season One is fantastic, then it kinda loses it's direction imo due to this.

I'd say Season 2 is the best, but the current one is excellent too. I really can't see how it's going to pan out this time around.

I didn't know it was originally 12 episodes, however it does all seem to culminate around the twelfth episode and then start again. And i really felt it lost its way for a couple of hours after that!

I didn't know it was originally 12 episodes, however it does all seem to culminate around the twelfth episode and then start again. And i really felt it lost its way for a couple of hours after that!

It's stuff like the mole don't really make sense when you view it as a entire series. The unveiling was fantastic though, a proper :D moment.

It's stuff like the mole don't really make sense when you view it as a entire series. The unveiling was fantastic though, a proper ;) moment.

Yeah, when it happened, I was thinking, "wow, that would be really shocking if I hadn't had it revealed to me four years ago." :D

I was watching the series with full knowledge of the mole, and it didn't seem too far-fetched. I have to admit, I didn't think that

Click For Spoiler
Nina had been working against them the whole time. I thought she might have been jealous of Jack and his wife being back together, and decided to help bump her off as a bit of an impromptu decision.

Love the first two series. Although I watched series 2 first and then series 1, which took away some of the impact of the first series.

I bought 2 and 3 on DVD recently and now me and the girlfriend are finishing off 2 before we watch 3, which I have only seen a couple episdoes of. Looking forward to that! I gave up watching it on SKY as the adverts ruined it, even winding through them just pissed me off.

Once that's done...well...hopefully 4 will be released on DVD by then! :D

Honestly, the idea that any season is better than #3 confuses me. The third doesn't have one episode that doesn't leave you wanting more - unlike the first, second, and fourth, all of which have already had episodes that left me saying 'Nothing happened there'.

#3 manages to take all that made the other seasons good, but also plays upon its own conventions, ie. the convention of having a mole, and so on. It's the cleverest by far.

Oh im glad you made this thread.

I bought the 3 season boxset middle january. It was a good decision, except im glued to the TV all the time.

Here are my opinion.

Season 1

I watched it over the course of about 6 days. The first 12 episodes were fantastic, like a die hard movie infact. Then it went downhill a bit, but it was still great viewing. Many episodes left me wanting more, so instead of sleeping i put the next episode on. The only thing was that it seemed like they were just making it up as they went along, but still was good.

Season 2

Apparently this is the worst season, but I quite enjoyed it. Some episodes could have been better but on a whole again, i really enjoyed it. I thought Harry Mason was a pretty good character and enjoyed Kims sidestory - even if it seemed a little over the top (ie can a girl really have this much bad luck? In a DAY?!)..

Couple of things bothered me, regarding Jack and the Plane though, but it was good still. Managed to watch this season pretty quick too.

Season 3

Im currently halfway through Season 3, and whilst its decent enough - its kinda of like ive seen it all before. The whole Kyle Singer (i think thats his name) was a little confusing and yeah it ended suddenly and nothing more was said.

Im hoping the later episodes will get a bit better, and would like to see how it ends - i just think the storyline is a little weak compared to the other two series.

Season 4..

I have downloaded them, so i can watch once ive finished S3. From what ive heard its really good though.

I do find some stuff isnt real time though, little inconsistances and stuff. Never mind, im not that bothered.

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd ressurrect this thread as I've just finished watching season 3. Clearly it's the best. As Stebie says, it's the cleverest one in terms of writing. It keeps shifting direction and you never know where it's going next. It's also the darkest by miles.

Uber-spoilers ahead:

Certain episodes and events were just gobsmacking. The big twist after the first few hours, the prison break, Nina Meyer's attempted escape from CTU, and of course Ryan Chapelle. That was an unbelievably intense bit of TV. Also, the whole series of episodes in the hotel was extremely dark and serious. Very hard-hitting.

One bit in particular got me pretty good and I blubbed like a big girl - when Michelle gets her test results and she's clear. The look on her face, and then the phone call between her and Tony when he breaks down and says he can't believe he almost lost her - it was all too much! Made what happened to Tony all the more tragic.

Spoilers for what episode?

The entirety of Season 3.

Read an interesting tidbit on IMDB about Season 3 *Spoilers*:

The character Ryan Chappelle was killed off during the 6:00-7:00 a.m. episode. Paul Schulze the actor who plays the role has said in interviews that his death was supposed to be faked. But the writers changed the scene around when it appeared on a spoiler website called Ryan's Report

I was expecting it to be a fake death - it just seemed to be building up to it - which made it all the more shocking when he actually got offed.

I thought it was going to be faked too and I am glad it wasn't as it was the highlight of the season. It also makes you understand Jack breaking down in the final scene of the season.

The amazing thing was you really didn't know which way it was going to go. When the shot was fired I was convinced it was real, because it would have been bad writing to toy with people's emotions on that level (one of the reasons I hate Lord of the Rings is because of the amount of times we're supposed to believe someone has been killed, then they come back later on. It's bloody stupid). 24 has done that before (Nina Meyers getting shot in season 1, and Kyle Singer thinking he had the virus at the start of season 3), but never to the point where I've felt emotionally manipulated.