Otogi 2

CarloOos

So did nobody bother buying Otogi 2? It came out on Friday. And I firmly believe it's absolutely stunning.

I loved the original Otogi, but I had no problem in admitting it had issues. It was sometimes clumsy and unfair, and something which really annoyed me was that after the first few levels your spent most of the game fighting floating japanese symbols as opposed to 'real' demons (eg, winged demons or giant spiders - you know, actual creatures). It just sometimes got a bit too abstract, in terms of level and enemy design.

The sequel immediately recitfies this, I've noticed very few enemies of the ' wierd flying Japanese symbol' variety, and plenty of giant spiders, skeletons, posses statues and such to boot. For me this helps it a lot, it's more fun when you're fighting something 'phsyical'. Same goes for the levels, they are all set in beautiful landscapes and towns now, instead of bizzarro alternate dimensions.

The graphics are amazing, some of the best I've seen on the Xbox, possibly better than Ninja Gaidens. Some of the places you visit, giant lakes covered with lillies with reflective water surrounded by villages, right before you twat a giant spider into it all and it's demolished in a giant displayed of flashy special effects as 100 things just collaspse and explode at once. Brilliant. ( I had a mission where I literally took on hundreds of enemys at once and got a 901 hit combo, it was total visual overkill).

The game is also a lot more responsive and feels less clumsy with combat as chunky and satsifying as Gaiden's, and having 6 different character definitely emphasises this since some handle better than others. The characters also have definite differences, they aren't all carbon copies of each other put into the game for the sake of it like so many bonus characters are. They all have different strengths, some have different controls, and they all handle differently and are useful in different situations.

They also add a lot to the game - having to carefully choose which ones to take into which mission add's a lot to the games depth, and the variety of handling in the characters stop it from becoming repetitve like the first. I've heard people mention a trial and error aspect as to which character to pick but I disagree, since before each mission it does tell you how suitable each character is for each level.

It does however seem a lot easier than the first, and I cant comment on the length, but that said I am currently stuck on a spider boss of proportions that would put an old-skool Godzilla movie to shame. It's also got some new much-needed bonus games, which for a game like this are ideal when you just feel like taking on about 300 enemys at once.

I doubt it will convert haters of the original however, and the plot is still a total head-scratcher if you're not into Japanese mythology (I'm not). But who cares, buy it and hit some shit, it will make you smile.

Love both finished both.

Thing is I have them on JAP import so the story went over my head(not the sublime Japanese fairytail atmosphere though) and fudged through weapon and magic upgrading.

Is the western release worth a play through to get the story and right use of weapons?

I'd play through again as like I say I love the Otogi games.

How cool is the wolf headed guy who spins both blades in 2(love the sound they make)

Yeah the wolf guy (Tsuna) is my favorite character by far, followed by that girl with the Scryth who just flies all over. The armless guy with tentacles for legs and what can only be described as a steering wheel on his back and freaks me out, though.

As for the story...it probably won't make much sense either way, but you definitely don't want to be losing out on the weapon upgrade/RPG aspects.

Im playing it in Japanese anyway, with English subs. Both games give you that option.

The combo's in this game are insane, 400 odd can be achieved fairly easily. It's real Gaming Grin stuff. However, when you do get to this amount, tho old xbox starts to chug a bit, mind you, given the amount of enemies and the light show on screen you can forgive it. I think the affinity ratings for each level are a great idea, and you can see why a given level will be suited to a given player - Although Raikoh seems to be "middle of the road" and faily suited to all levels (so far).

But yeah , whilst not loving it completely, it is a very good example of the genre.

To be fair the first few levels aren't much cop, it when you get to try out all the other characters it takes off. The 'Wolf-Guy' and 'Girl with a Fucking Massive Scryth' in paticular are great fun to play, and some of the boss battles are epic - even the smaller, mano-a-mano bosses manage a huge spectacle (a headless horseman who rides around a Japanese town demolishing anything and everything in his path).

It's just really fun smashing an enemy and watching them fly 50 feet into a pillar which is demolished bringing down the whole building above it, and moments like these are a regular occurance. Even better when they smash into 4 more enemies, which smash into 4 more buildings....

I played a demo of one of them; I was in a courtyard in the rain and had to destroy for of something while respawning enemies battered me, then take on the boss (think it might've been a headless horseman with arrows stuck in him).

I hated it. Seemed really random.

Is the lip-syncing as bad as in the copy I downloaded a few months ago? I might be tempted to buy this as I loved the first one, but the yarred NTSC copy I got was a bit dodgy with it's dialogue and cinematics

Weird, my yarr was perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Right, I've finally got round to this, and am loving it (it's reminded me how brilliant the first one was), but I'm a bit stuck on a boss.

It's the second incarnation of the headless general, and I'm using Tsuna to fight him; I'm just finding that I can't damage him at all. The most damage I've done before running out of magic is about half damage. I just can't work out how to target him with magic or with dash attacks. Anybody got any suggestions?

Erm, are the spoiler tags not working, or have I just forgotten how to use them?

I think it's amazing. It's also broken down into pretty manageable chunks; levels generally only take ten minutes, tops.

My problem is that I was completely unable to finish the first one, and I fear for the difficulty levels that for sure I will be encountering, and I do not want to leave another game unfinished.

currently I 've got Mercenaries, Republic Commando, and Oddworld in the ( now playing) pipeline...

That's spoiler, Taurus. Singular. ;)

You sure? I tried that first.

Also, I got over my sticking point, by maxing out Tsuna's agility, and upgrading his weapon to one with a better physical attack. Still, it must have taken me about five or six attempts to do. But I'm still enjoying this hugely.

Finally got round to having a go this weekend, not for long mind but enough to give a first impression.

Damn this game is stunning. It may not be that refined, but when things actions gets into motion not mnay games looks much prettier. As for the gameplay it feels like pretty much of the same, which is no bad thing at all, but extended play will be required to see whether its got anything new to add bar the option to choose a different character.