The Great Super Mario 64 Conspiracy

Jonster

Not sure this is in the right place, so if any mods feel the need to delete it, feel free.

I've now got a Nintendo DS. It's very nice, I've been playing it a lot recently.

However that's not what I'm going to talk about right now, it's just the catalyst for this tale of mystery. You see, I've been playing a lot of Super Mario 64 DS, so much so that I completed it the other night.

Seeing the end sequence got me thinking again...

In the intro sequence, Princess Peach invites Mario to the castle as she has baked a cake for him. All is fine, nothing seems wrong. Well everyone's been imprisoned in the walls or something, but other than that...

Upon completing the game Peach decides to celebrate/congratulate Mario by suggesting that they bake a cake!

What happened to the first cake? You never see it during the game. It can't have gone stale, as no days actually pass during the adventure, so the question remains, what happened to that cake?

My theory is that the first cake never existed and was just a ploy to get Mario to the castle.

However, that doesn't explain a motive, and that is where the real conspiracy lies.

There are many possibilities to why and I don't think anyone shall ever know them all, but I have come up with some likely ones.

I think the obvious one is that Peach is working with Bowser and there could be any number of reasons for this.

One of which could be that Peach has fallen for Bowser (and vice versa) and wants Mario out of the way, because, there's something there. Peach doesn't want to hurt Mario's heart, so gets Bowser to try and kill him, either that, or Mario's a terrible boyfriend and Peach is out for revenge.

Maybe Mario's plumbing services are really overpriced, and to make a statement to plumbers everywhere, she wants Mario dead and to put his head on a pike outside the castle as a warning to future plumbers.

It could be that she has a lust for power, she's only a Princess after all. Bowser is a King (I think) and if she marries him then she could become a Queen, but Mario keeps turning up and ruining things.

Whatever the reason, Peach is after Mario, and may have been for a long time, but because you don't see her during the game, everyone assumes she's innocent and there to be rescued.

During the end sequence she could be thinking "Damnit, foiled again" but because no-one suspects her she comes out and plays the role of thankful damsel like she has so many times before, while plotting her next attempt on Mario.

Only time will tell...

Any one else got any thoughts/theories?

(BTW, this is meant as a bit of fun - just in case you couldn't tell)

Not entirely sure about your theory but I do remember a thread on the old Edge forum many years ago about it.

I'm wondering whether or not it is a different Peach in the DS version. Her voice does seem different that in the N64 original.

Haha! Using my powers of deduction, I deduce that she means to bake the cake that she originally intended to bake for him!

"But she said she already baked it!" I hear you cry. Read on and be amazed...

She wrote the letter saying she BAKED the cake, as she knew that by the time Mario got the letter and came to her castle she would have baked the cake, and it would be all lovely and fresh for when Mario arrived.

But as she was about to bake said cake, Bowser came and kidnapped everyone, which is why she said she baked one but it is never seen!

Just call me sherlock. B)

Well seeing how letters take a couple of days to arrive I doubt Peach had the cake done when she was writing the letter, so she could have been baking the cake and then got kidnapped halfway through (while Mario was on his way) and so when she suggests to bake a cake at the end of the game, she just means that her and Mario finish the cake she started that she never got to finish.

Haha! Using my powers of deduction, I deduce that she means to bake the cake that she originally intended to bake for him!

"But she said she already baked it!" I hear you cry. Read on and be amazed...

She wrote the letter saying she BAKED the cake, as she knew that by the time Mario got the letter and came to her castle she would have baked the cake, and it would be all lovely and fresh for when Mario arrived.

But as she was about to bake said cake, Bowser came and kidnapped everyone, which is why she said she baked one but it is never seen!

Just call me sherlock. B)

Beaten to it by old sherlock :(

Peach and Bowser obviously have some bizarre kidnap role-playing thing going on and Mario is just a pawn in their awful sex games.

Let's not forget that Baby Bowser calls Peach "Momma Peach" in Sunshine.

Getting "kidnapped" so often is highly unlikely.

Bowser ate the cake while he was waiting for Mario to come by.

But why in the letter would she say she had 'baked' the cake. Any number of things could go wrong in the baking process between the letter being sent and Mario arriving to find a failed cake due the Peach brought upon herself by including uneccesary time constraints on an already complex task. Not likely IMO.

If the original explanation is correct she should have said 'I am baking a cake for you, please arrive moments after I have finished it to find the castle overun and you having to save the day yet again'

I don't thik the cake ever existed in the first place and the letter was faked by person or persons unknown to drag Mario to the castle. I think Toad has a thing for Mario, he's always there 'helping' when Mario arrives at the latest incident. It must be him who wrote the letter.

Come to think of it, not only did i not find a cake in the castle, but I did'nt find a kitchen or storeroom either.

It's probably that Bowser rearranged the castle using the power of the stars when he took it over, which is why there is a single corridor with a "trap" painting in it, which i doubt was there before. That could also explain why the castle is different in the first Paper Mario, including a kitchen leading of from the lobby.

Not entirely sure about your theory but I do remember a thread on the old Edge forum many years ago about it.

I think it was mine.

But my question was "Who baked the cake?" - i.e. was the letter a forgery from Bowser?

If I recall it then spun into lots of elaborate conspiricies about a possible Peach/Bowser allience and other such things.

I'm wondering whether or not it is a different Peach in the DS version. Her voice does seem different that in the N64 original.

It is. The original N64 version featured Leslie Swan, but ever since Mario Tennis on the N64, Peach has been voiced by Jen Taylor, AKA Cortana from Halo.

"Mario! You've got to stop Bowser before he activates Halo!"

I was more concerned with the fact that mario turned up at the castle to eat this no doubt spectacular cake, and then lakitu flies down out of nowhere and starts asking the player how ario will fare on his quest to save the princess from bowsers clutches, and mario didn't even know the princess was kidnapped yet!

I assume it was a joke on the old cliche though.

See I reckon Mario actually murdered Peach in a euthanasia mercy killing after she got sick and the letter was the one she wrote before she died. Mario comes to the castle in the vain hope that Peach and the cake are still there but is confronted by Goombas and other villains that are actually just manifestations of his own guilt. He eventually realises what he's done and collapses in a psychotic mess doomed to spend eternity in his own private hell with "Peach" and the bitter, bitter "cake" he so desired...

See I reckon Mario actually murdered Peach in a euthanasia mercy killing after she got sick and the letter was the one she wrote before she died. Mario comes to the castle in the vain hope that Peach and the cake are still there but is confronted by Goombas and other villains that are actually just manifestations of his own guilt. He eventually realises what he's done and collapses in a psychotic mess doomed to spend eternity in his own private hell with "Peach" and the bitter, bitter "cake" he so desired...

I would agree with this, but I would say the letter either doesn't exist, or was written by Mario in a state of deluded madness.

Actually I think I've cracked it!!

Mario arrives to the castle to find princess peach has baked up some "cake". Mario and princess take some cake and get all spazzed up on this made up drug, and Mario begins tripping out.. We join him at the start of his druggy adventure just as a cloud creature with a camera on a fishing rod zooms down (quite obviously a hallucination). At the end of his trip he comes down and the princess, who has likely been lying in a pool of her own bubbles until this point, suggests making some more "cake" to ease the pain.

Peach baked the first cake for Mario, and not for both of them. You see, there's no way Mazza could have baked a second; he'd be too tired from going from Bobomb Battlefield to finally defeating Bowser, so at the ending Mario is eating the first cake whilst Peach is baking a second.

Nah, you can't trust peach; carrying on with a giant turtle/dinosaur thing, AND that xnaut computer. End boss of paper mario 2? 'nuff said.

:ph34r:

now that I think about it, there's something that's just wrong about trying to save a kingdom of mushroom people, whilst eating mushrooms to power up. And people complaing about GTA...