Question Time

My vote: I won't bother. Politics is crap these days, by creating a low turn out rate (like last time) hopefully things will start to change.

I used to think that, or rather I used to believe I was better off out of the whole mess. The best rebuttal to that attitude I've read is Douglas Hofstadter's Tale of Happiton, but I can't find it online to link to. At any rate, this was all before the war, and now I'll be turning up and voting Lib Dem, if only to know that I threw a vote on the pile that was against Blair and, naturally, Howard - Michael Howard is why we don't need Spitting Image these days.

Yes, because charging tax based on ability to pay is a joke.  And no, unfortunately I missed the Kennedy Paxman interivew, I'd love to know what was said.

If you're in a couple earning average salaries, then it's certainly NOT a joke at all. As the lady in the programme said, if you live in the South-East and have 2 people in your household bringing in a combined income of £33k, you'll be paying more under the Lib Dems' plans. That's way less than the "average" of £42k that Kennedy keeps harping on about, and he had no answer for it at all, other than to evade the question. How can it be justifiable for people on that level of combined income to be paying more? It's ridiculously unfair.

So if you're single, you're laughing. If you're in a couple, you're crying.

Why is it that unmarried couples who live together without children are utterly utterly hammered by the tax system? We take by far the least out of taxpayers' money in services, yet get the most clobbered. There is not one single tax benefit that I can take advantage of. There's a whole load of votes just going begging there...

As for the format of the programme, most contributors to the first couple of pages of the topic seemed totally unaware that it was Blair who refused to do the "roundtable" discussion. The other leaders were perfectly happy to do that. Ditto 2001.

I can't believe Blair didn't know about the GP thing. I really hope he does some research into it, and changes the present ridiculous system. Keep the target of 48hrs by all means, but let us book a week in advance!

If you're in a couple earning average salaries, then it's certainly NOT a joke at all. As the lady in the programme said, if you live in the South-East and have 2 people in your household bringing in a combined income of £33k, you'll be paying more under the Lib Dems' plans. That's way less than the "average" of £42k that Kennedy keeps harping on about, and he had no answer for it at all, other than to evade the question. How can it be justifiable for people on that level of combined income to be paying more? It's ridiculously unfair.

Again, like I said before, if you end up paying more tax under the Lib Dems it's because you can afford to pay it. I don't know why Kennedy didn't just say that on the show?

Why is it that unmarried couples who live together without children are utterly utterly hammered by the tax system? We take by far the least out of taxpayers' money in services, yet get the most clobbered. There is not one single tax benefit that I can take advantage of. There's a whole load of votes just going begging there...

Ok.

Try renting and living on your own in the South East on the stated average salary last night of £28k. Even with the 33% reduction in council tax (please note that it's NOT 50%, which would give equality before rental costs with the unmarried couple).

And then get back to me about who's getting most clobbered by the tax/housing system.

As for the format of the programme, most contributors to the first couple of pages of the topic seemed totally unaware that it was Blair who refused to do the "roundtable" discussion. The other leaders were perfectly happy to do that. Ditto 2001.

I think the best format would have been 20 minutes each for a solo show (like tonight, as I think that worked well) and the 30 minutes at the end with all 3 at once.

Blair's excuse for not doing it was pretty poor "I face Michael Howard in Parliament every day" - well, you should be up to doing it on live TV then!

I can't believe Blair didn't know about the GP thing. I really hope he does some research into it, and changes the present ridiculous system. Keep the target of 48hrs by all means, but let us book a week in advance!

It was amazing! He was really caught out by that one.

John Reed was going to be interviewed about it on Radio 4 this morning, it may well have happened already.

Again, like I said before, if you end up paying more tax under the Lib Dems it's because you can afford to pay it.  I don't know why Kennedy didn't just say that on the show?

No no no no no. What utter arrogance to claim you know how much people can afford! My girlf and I didn't exactly mortgage ourselves up to the hilt, but we're beginning to struggle to make ends meet every month. We certainly can't put any money into a pension, for example, and we have no savings. Yet under the Lib Dem system, we would probably be paying more tax. And frankly, we pay too much already.

Ok.

Try renting and living on your own in the South East on the stated average salary last night of £28k. Even with the 33% reduction in council tax (please note that it's NOT 50%, which would give equality before rental costs with the unmarried couple).

And then get back to me about who's getting most clobbered by the tax/housing system.

Is this now a pissing contest? ;)

I'm sorry to hear you get clobbered too, I think we both deserve a break! And you're totally right about the rebate you should get on Council Tax.

No no no no no. What utter arrogance to claim you know how much people can afford! My girlf and I didn't exactly mortgage ourselves up to the hilt, but we're beginning to struggle to make ends meet every month. We certainly can't put any money into a pension, for example, and we have no savings. Yet under the Lib Dem system, we would probably be paying more tax. And frankly, we pay too much already.

Have you looked up how much you will actually be paying on their online calculator thing?

Somehow I don't think you have because otherwise I can't really see someone with a 2 earner household making £33k complaining about paying this much a year:

Local Income Tax:

£870 per year

Local Income Tax:

£1,020 per year.

Current Council Tax:

£1,000 per year.

Just to tell you..... This was based on way less than the £42k figure given by Kennedy as the point where people would have to pay more. And Council Tax here in Bristol is very expensive.

Local Income Tax:

£1,020 per year.

Current Council Tax:

£1,000 per year.

Just to tell you..... This was based on way less than the £42k figure given by Kennedy as the point where people would have to pay more. And Council Tax here in Bristol is very expensive.

what, about 37k?

And Council Tax here in Bristol is very expensive.

You'd be paying more than that, then. The calculator just works out an average. It'd still be set locally, so if you lived in an expensive council tax area, you'd pay more than that. What you'd need to do as well, is see how your current tax compares to the current average, and factor that in.

• 1 month later...

Did you catch the guy asking a question about smoking, who suddenly went off on one?

"I am forced by law to respect the human rights of everybody, be they coloureds or homosexuals, and I can live with that, but I'm not allowed to smoke in public places, and that's not right."

Or something like that. Nice.

Did you catch the guy asking a question about smoking, who suddenly went off on one?

"I am forced by law to respect the human rights of everybody, be they coloureds or homosexuals, and I can live with that, but I'm not allowed to smoke in public places, and that's not right."

Or something like that. Nice.

I was all like :)

I'd love to hear him in the pub...

No it's true that was ace. He put littlejohn in a live TV grave and it was a totally genuine outburst about what were totally outrageous comments made by littlejohn. He deserved a LOT of respect for that.

I missed it, but I imagine he sees himself as some kind of pop culture icon for these adverts rather than the loathsome sell-out the rest of the country sees him as?

how can he be a sell out? did he ever have any credibility to begin with?