IGNORED

Devil May Cry 2

Gabe

Just finished Devil May Cry which was an entertaining - but short - romp (ignoring the fact that Dante wants to get it on with a girl who looks like his mum!), and am now thinking about the sequel, but I've read comments before that it is poor. Can anybody expand on what went wrong with it? Is it still worth a tenner or so, or is it a pile of pants?

it was released at least six months too early, probably a year.

The levels are uninspired. The bosses are pitiful. Although stories are unimportant in a game IMO Devil may Cry 2's narrative is so disjointed as to make it obvious that it was released half finished. All the great combo's and adversaries are missing from 2 as are the techniques to dispatch them. there's more wrong with it but I'll leave that for someone else.

The first one is still one of the best PS2 games around. 2's a rental at best. it's still very pretty though.

Hasn't really answered the question of whether it's worth a punt for a tenner though. There's not a lot of things that aren't but I'd say IMHO this is one of them, specially if you've enjoyed the first one. Hold onto your pennies for the third one I'd say (fingaz Xd).

Hasn't really answered the question of whether it's worth a punt for a tenner though. There's not a lot of things that aren't but I'd say IMHO this is one of them, specially if you've enjoyed the first one. Hold onto your pennies for the third one I'd say (fingaz Xd).

He be right there! To sum up the second game, just think of everything you enjoyed about the first because the 2nd one has none of that. For one it is short, shorter than the first even, and soon it just becomes a chore after a while.

Let's all wait for the third one.

I think I will save for the 3rd then - thats due out in the US soon, isn't it?

As for sluggish, I played the PAL DMC - could the sequel be much slower?

The sequel has a 60Hz option.

I liked Dante's new moves, and he has more of a presence in DMC2, but the game itself is definately lacking.

I liked Dante's new moves, and he has more of a presence in DMC2, but the game itself is definately lacking.

I don't really remember all that much about Dante but he didn't seem as fun as in the first one. It may not be what you'd expect from his look but I want him to be pretty much like Ash from Evil Dead 2, not moody and serious.

The bosses are pitiful.

Let that be reason enough. For a fiver I'd recommend satisfying your curiosity, but even a tenner is too much for this stinking turd of a game. One level features a tank, huuuuge health bar, zero (and that's no exaggeration) A.I., which needs to be defeated. You defeat said tank by standing in front of it for roughly five minutes slamming the same button, whilst the tank remains static. I couldn't believe this was a Capcom game, let alone the sequel to one of the PS2's best titles.

I picked it up second hand two days after it's official release, that should have told me something.

I don't really remember all that much about Dante but he didn't seem as fun as in the first one. It may not be what you'd expect from his look but I want him to be pretty much like Ash from Evil Dead 2, not moody and serious.

From Eurogamers preview:

This party's getting crazy. Let's rock!

Now I personally consider "I think we have a winner" to be one of the best delivered and damn it downright coolest things I've ever heard in a videogame. DMC was fun because it was cool to play and full of smart little lines like that. But I cannot think of a single way to deliver that line that makes me not want to go out and stab the closest bunch of 14 year old "no-one understands me" angry-at-the-world fuckwits right in their plump little eyeballs. ;)

On the other hand, apparently the level design more enclosed again, which should help prevent the "hold down the trigger and keep as far away as possible from anything with sharp pointy bits" strategy from DMC2 being as dominant, which is very much a step in the right direction. I'm not convinced the four play modes aren't just needless complexity that's going to get in the way, but I'm feeling good about it.