rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
tox

Grimewatch

I'm more into the dubstep side of things - it's hard to track down the records here in Dublin, but I just got a big redeye order, and i'm expecting the Burial album to land on my doormat any day now.

Picks of the bunch are the Skull Disco records. There's a load of clips up on their site: http://www.skulldisco.com/. They're short but high quality, well worth a download.

And, of course, Dubstep Allstars vol 3, mixed by Kode 9 with Spaceape on Tempa is fucking WICKED.

Since this thread was made, (over a year ago now!) I’ve looked much deeper into the whole grime/dub thing..

Unfortunately for Tox I like dub much much better. Vex’d really hit the sweet spot for me last year and the bunch of dubstep stuff that’s come out since summer last year has kept me happy.

Keep up spreading the word though Tox, I’ve found a few decent bits of audio just from reading this thread, cheers man.

:blink:

Anyone heard the new Burial yet? I really should order it, I love the first album a lot.

Listening to it in full now, it's the best album I've heard this year, but I think Burial sounds more interesting when he does darker material. I don't like the vocals on the earlier tracks but I love everything from track 8 onwards.

There's a really nice Guardian interview here, he used a sound effect from Metal Gear Solid. :)

Anyone heard the new Burial yet? I really should order it, I love the first album a lot.

Just listening to it after downloading earlier from emusic - it's absoluetly amazing. May seem strange to describe Grime as 'beautiful' or 'romantic' but this album really is. My album of the year so far.

Just listening to it after downloading earlier from emusic - it's absoluetly amazing. May seem strange to describe Grime as 'beautiful' or 'romantic' but this album really is. My album of the year so far.

Strange to see this thread re-appear after so long. I used to be so excited about these genres!

As for the new Burial record, I think I like it better than the first album, especially etched headplate, with that strange quote at the beginning. Its good stuff. Not sure I would describe it as grime, certainly more a fraction of dubstep (although whether it is a dancefloor record at all is another matter).

Benga has a new album coming out soon called Diary of an Afro Warrior, which he insists is gonna have actual tracks on it, rather than just bass wobble, so that should be interesting. Recently I've been listening to Skepta's Greatest Hits and Durrty Goodz Axiom EP which are both pretty good grime records. I heard Chipmunk's new on is good too, but I'm yet to pick it up.

Went to see Skream and Benga a few weeks back and was totally bored out of my mind with the direction dubstep has taken in 2007. It wants less dub and more step. On the other hand I caught Vex'd and Pinch yesterday, and they were much more interesting.

There's a lot of vacuos wobblers out there, true, but there's so so many good tunes coming out. I dropped 120 euros in the local last week, and I honestly can't remember the last time there was that many good new records to buy - peverelist, Rusko, Gatekeeper, Hench, Pangaea, Ramadanman, Skream, Darqwan, RSD, Pinch etc etc etc. There's a return to more interesting rhythms and less halfstep dirge these days, and it's all the better for it.

Though I dislike the idea that dubstep and other genres have to hang on to the coat tails of indie musicians to get recognised in the mainstream, the highlight of skream's set when I saw him a few months ago was his remix of the klaxon's version of Grace's 'not over yet'.

There's a lot of vacuos wobblers out there, true, but there's so so many good tunes coming out. I dropped 120 euros in the local last week, and I honestly can't remember the last time there was that many good new records to buy - peverelist, Rusko, Gatekeeper, Hench, Pangaea, Ramadanman, Skream, Darqwan, RSD, Pinch etc etc etc. There's a return to more interesting rhythms and less halfstep dirge these days, and it's all the better for it.

Yes, this is true. Lots of good music coming from outside London which is always nice. The Leeds and Bristol scenes in particular seem to be throwing up a few nice bits and bobs.

For all those people who like Burial, have you heard his remix of Jamie Woon's version of Wayfaring Stranger? I would up it, but I already get a warning on my blog for sticking up the mp3 a few months back. Well worth a listen though!

As for the grime and dubstep stuff flying on the coat tails of indie, its totally crap isn't it. Unfortunately some people (Skream, Dizzee, Lethal B, Burial's new remix of bloc party etc) seem to be pretty much inviting it. I interviewed Dizzee the other week and he was all for more cross genre (pop/indie) material. While I enjoy the vast majority of genres of music I'm not a fan of things getting so diluted down that they end up sounding generic. I guess you can't blame people for trying to make a bit of money and get some recognition but it is a shame when it affects the music.

Lethal B is just blatantly using the "coat tails of indie" to get big. The fact that its working is the annoying thing. Doing the NME cuircit (THE NME FFS!) and playing with the like of Gallows. Although he has found a good match in the gallow 'cos they are both equaly shit at what they are trying to do.

There will always be what you could call "pure" dubstep, especially after reading the comments here. I'm sure there are producers out there who wouldn't be seen dead hob-nobbing with the indie guitar crowd. I like to think dubstep is robust enough to cope with all the influences. It's a flexible sound, much more so than, say, drum n bass.

That's true. I'm not against collaboration at all, i'm pleased that it's happening. It's more that many genres like dubstep would never break in to the mainstream otherwise which is a shame since it's music unique to the UK and has a flourishing scene just under people's noses. Grime had it's five minutes in the sun but it was quickly dropped by the media (apart from dizzee).

Perhaps I shouldn't grumble and realise that most genres never break in to the mainstream without collaboration with other sounds and concessions to people's tastes. Would Run DMC have helped break rap in to the mainstream without using aerosmith?

That's true. I'm not against collaboration at all, i'm pleased that it's happening. It's more that many genres like dubstep would never break in to the mainstream otherwise which is a shame since it's music unique to the UK and has a flourishing scene just under people's noses. Grime had it's five minutes in the sun but it was quickly dropped by the media (apart from dizzee).

Perhaps I shouldn't grumble and realise that most genres never break in to the mainstream without collaboration with other sounds and concessions to people's tastes. Would Run DMC have helped break rap in to the mainstream without using aerosmith?

Take jungle in the mid-90s. You couldn't move for chart remixes, Goldie and Roni Size doing remixes of anyone and everyone. TV theme tunes had a fast break. Ads had it, radio had it, films had it - yet it still managed to stay mostly underground, or at least as obscure as it could be. You didn't hear it on normal radio, not even late night. So-called dance gurus like Pete Tong largely ignored it.

You don't hear dubstep on the telly or in films, and it's not the sort of music that will make the jump, not without a tweak anyway. There's no danger of it going overground, you won't hear it on daytime Radio 1.

What I want to know is this: are we likely to see a dubstep show on normal radio? Other genres get one. And whilst Mary Anne Hobbs seems to play tons of it it's not a dubstep show (though you'd be forgiven for thinking it was).

You don't hear dubstep on the telly or in films, and it's not the sort of music that will make the jump, not without a tweak anyway. There's no danger of it going overground, you won't hear it on daytime Radio 1.

There's almost a dubstep tune on the new Britney record, haha. Its called "Freakshow" and made me laugh the first time I heard it. There's also a bit of minimal on there, which always brings a little smile.

Anyone here like Boxcutter? I've been getting into him recently.

Though I dislike the idea that dubstep and other genres have to hang on to the coat tails of indie musicians to get recognised in the mainstream, the highlight of skream's set when I saw him a few months ago was his remix of the klaxon's version of Grace's 'not over yet'.

That's a funny one - the original Grace tune really represented a lot of what I hated about dance music, and made me more determined to do the jungle thing. To cut a long story short, Jungle turned into DnB, got shit, I started buying dubstep, then the bloody Grace song came back to haunt me!! <_<

Can anyone point me in the right direction for any good dubstep mixes - I would love to hear some more stuff.

http://www.gotdarker.com/

http://www.rinse.fm

http://www.dubstepforum.com

I think my favourite from the last couple of years was the Kode 9 Dubstep Allstars mix. Vol 3 I think. Just an incredible array of tunes.