I thought it was really quite well done. Ok so worryingly I could see myself in some of the things Nathan Barley did. Eg look at this phone it's only been out in Japan 2 weeks. I know that is something I've done with the White PSP for example. I bought it because it's 1337 and for that I think Nathan Barley is brilliant fun.

I would've thought as biglime kinda knows people in the industry it would ring even truer for him.

It's the way the industry was maybe...5 years ago at best? And in one certain place.

My main gripe with the show was that it wasn't even remotely funny.

It's the way the industry was maybe...5 years ago at best? And in one certain place.

My main gripe with the show was that it wasn't even remotely funny.

Yes, it has it's context, but if you go to numerous places in Britain today, the Idiots are still about riding plastic tractors.

It's 3 years to late, but it still rings true.

What 'industry'? Barley and Cunt satirise spoiled, cokehead (nu) media types and spoiled twentysomethings in the City. It's pretty rarefied. Got bugger all to do with gaming other than the tenuous link between video game journalism in one particular magazine and the Dazed & Confused style Sugarape. I liked the show and think most people missed the point, but there's no logical reason why a gaming journalist should feel a connection to it, as far as I can see.

surely people are talking about the media industry, not the gaming one specifically. they are talking about it satirising these twentysomething journalists and 'media nodes', and Sugarape is meant to be Vice magazine, isn't it?

I don't think anyone thought it was about gaming journalism....

ps. Dazed & Confused isn't as bad as Vice, it's not really the same thing.

What 'industry'? Barley and Cunt satirise spoiled, cokehead (nu) media types and spoiled twentysomethings in the City. It's pretty rarefied. Got bugger all to do with gaming other than the tenuous link between video game journalism in one particular magazine and the Dazed & Confused style Sugarape. I liked the show and think most people missed the point, but there's no logical reason why a gaming journalist should feel a connection to it, as far as I can see.

I'm not a games journalist.

:P

You might be right, fella.

I write from home, mainly. So my experiences in the media industry pretty much entail reading the forum, having a chug and watching Des & Mel.

You know anyone who writes about Glasgow's club scene? They're pretty much all straight out of Nathan Barley...

"Hee hee hee... did he piss on your strawberries?"

Wankers.

I'm not a games journalist.

:D

I could swear I saw you on TV* last night talking about games. And I'm sure BBC Scotland lunchtime news described you as a freelance games journalist just before you slipped in a mention of gob-bumming. ARE YOU CALLING BBC SCOTLAND LIARS?

* DivX, obv.

• 3 years later...
Seeing as the thread's been resurrected, here's a bit of life imitating art:

Carrie Cassette Player. ;)

EDIT: OK, I watched the other video too - featuring a headpiece made of rats. Come on, this is a viral for a second series of Barley, right? :angry:

Carri Cassette Playa ;)

EDIT: OK, I watched the other video too - featuring a headpiece made of rats. Come on, this is a viral for a second series of Barley, right? :angry:

Its real, I remember seeing the magazine in borders about a month ago. They all have full websites and things as well.

I watched another one of the videos and had to stop it before I punched my monitor.

Their website has an article about... themselves! Here's a choice quote:

What I like about it is simply the subversive cultural statement it’s making merely by its existence on the magazine rack alone....

......Infact it’s partly the magazine’s bright, bold and brash aesthetic that makes its presence on national shelves (and amongst the homogenised mass of ‘style’ publications still so slavishly in thrall to classicist principles of glamour and aesthetics) so vital.

See the thing is SuperSuper is not ‘cool’ and nor is it supposed/trying to be. In fact ‘cool’ as a concept (and all its connotations of knowing, arch aloofness, arms-length exclusivity and unattainable sophistication) is pretty much spent cultural currency in the context of today.

http://www.supersuper.tv/index.php/article...ers_billy_idle/

Fucking East London. It really is the worst part of the city. Every time I walk around there I juts want to kill everybody I see.

RANDOM LABELS

Their website has an article about... themselves! Here's a choice quote:

http://www.supersuper.tv/index.php/article...ers_billy_idle/

'Infact' ?!?!?!

LOL what a bunch of fucking chancers. THE COLOURS ARE INTERESTING!