IGNORED

Gamestm Retro Section #28

roberthazelby

Evening all,

Apologies for not posting a lowdown of issue 27's GamesTM retro section, but due to delays in receiving my subs copy, it unfortunately got left out.

Issue 28 however, arrived in good time. I've now had a week or so to digest it, and can now pass on a few of my opinions.

First-up are the contents...

• Retro News - Galaxian High Score Finally Beaten, More PS2 Retro Hits on The Way, Treasure Island Dizzy Re-Released, Atari Classics Coming to the DS
  • Clash of The Titans - R-type. Find out which version is the best.
  • Retro Games That Time Forgot - Shadow Over Mystara (Arcade/Saturn)
  • Worst Licence Ever - Big Trouble in Little China
  • Review - Sonic Mega Collection (Xbox/PS2)
  • Precious Metal -Four page feature on the Metal Gear games.
  • Unsung Heroes - Mark Rayson of Retrovision
  • Sheer Art Attack - Interview and Feature on Crash/Zzap Artist Oilver Frey (6 pages)
  • Why Don't They Remake... - Actraiser
  • Retrospective - Don Preistley
  • Retro Contact - Two Pages of Letters
  • Buyers Guide - Quick Reference, Plus Lynx Lowdown
  • The Ultimate Collection - Adam Halliwell

Highlights of this issue for me have to be the six pages devoted to Oliver Frey, the Retrospective with Don Preistley, and the Unsung Heroes, with Mark Rayson.

The Sonic Mega Collection review spans a whopping 4 pages, but considering its content, a review of this size is warranted (in my opinion).

Clash of The Titans is always a joy to read, and I think the final result was a fair one.

Right. I'm off to read the Metal Gear article.

Rob

You should enjoy the Meatal Gear article. As someone who has only played MGS:Twin Snakes and has MGS2 pending, I found it an informative piece on the background to the series, and I might just have to seek out the relevant games (knowing what to avoid).

The Retrospective with Don Preistley was pretty good, I remember playing Gregorys Clock, no idea what is was about, just remember it being good but annoying. Anyone remember this game?

My brother used to play this for hours, and I think he completed it.

The graphics were lovely and colourful, and the two of us renamed the game to Gregory Loses His C*ck. Oh, the follies of youth!

I only played the title a little myself, but the graphics were very impressive.

Rob

My brother used to play this for hours, and I think he completed it.

The graphics were lovely and colourful, and the two of us renamed the game to Gregory Loses His C*ck. Oh, the follies of youth!

I cant for the life of me remember what it was about. Just remember seeing the clock and gregory, and I think the clock grew when you did something wrong?

Where did the 'the ultimate collection' person come from as, no offense, but this months has gone down hill majorly. Seriously gamestm guys if you are desperate for collections then you can do mine.

;)

I was wondering that myself.

His collection did seem really tiny, but perhaps the point of the section is to let us know about fellow retro collectors (regardless of the size of their collection).

:lol:

His collection did seem really tiny, but perhaps the point of the section is to let us know about fellow retro collectors (regardless of the size of their collection).

I liked the way their is 2 pictures of the setup with the N64 just to pad, but the pictures were at the top and bottom of the pictures to fool you into thinking they may be of different stuff. Seriously I couldn't fit my MD collection into his gaming space.

[/harsh]

Strider - I will pm you about my collection at some point. Just need to tidy up my games room a bit first.

Exactly, Rich. There was a bunch more stuff in the photos I sent to Strider, but how interesting is a big bookcase of CD cases? There's only so much room on the page, and the text is usually more interesting than photos of stacks of games. I think I'll knock up a webpage with the photos "left out" from my article last month.

Adam Halliwell, our very own resident Mr Spew.

I wouldnt mind actually being in games TM and while i hare a sorta large ish collection it is no where near as large as some peoples. Apart from my DC games i only have around 20-30 per console, the cream of the crop if you will.

Plus i keep all mine tucked away from the big old burglers.

Adam Halliwell, our very own resident Mr Spew.

I wouldnt mind actually being in games TM and while i hare a sorta large ish collection it is no where near as large as some peoples. Apart from my DC games i only have around 20-30 per console, the cream of the crop if you will.

Plus i keep all mine tucked away from the big old burglers.

Ah that's who it is. I'll let him off then. :angry:

'The ultimate collection' is like a who's who of rllmuk forumites. Perhaps it should be renamed to: 'the ultimate who's who of rllmuk'

:)

Here's the pics that were left out (+alternatives). No hardware shown as that's all mostly hooked up or under a bed, plus no pics of the big box or two of cables + joypads etc as that's boring.

As commented in the other thread, no, it's not the biggest & best collection, but I'm happy with what I have as the games get played.

• 1 month later...

Never knew there were topics on these!

Yeah, my collection is a bit small now, I used to have a lot more PAL Dreamcast wise, and a lot of stuff is just in boxes that I can't be arsed with fishing out.

I guess it's the very basic collection someone in GamesTM should have.

Along with the smuggest picture I could pull off. :lol: