IGNORED

Best Demos Ever

Matt G

I enjoyed these...

Halo (Silent Cartographer level with the surprise at the end!)

Conflict:Desert Storm 1 & 2

Rainbow Six 3

Project Gotham Racing 2

Metal Arms:GiTS

Deus Ex:Invisible War

Riddick

Full Spectrum Warrior

Thief:DS

Second Sight

OutRun2

and

Mercenaires :P Which is probably up there with Halo & Deus Ex:IW, as my most played demo. So much fun causing as much havok and destruction, as possible. Plus it reminds me of Project IGI mixed with GTA. Can't wait for the release of the full game ;)

I enjoyed these...

Deus Ex:Invisible War

That's the second one isn't it? I'd totally forgotten about the demo of the first one, the whole of the statue of liberty bit and more I think. I guess that really stands out as a great opener for a game, I spent a lot of time exploring the options available for that mission. I couldn't really get with the full thing for some reason though, I got bored and never finished it :shame: Actually, that was partly because I heard many spoilers of the twists beforehand ;)

How so Spodboy?

It just looks better for one (less grainy) and smoother (but possibly a bit slower?) I don't have two saturns to compare side by side, but loading one up after the other they feel like they have different handling models???

I hope some industry bods are out there reading this.

I'm getting sick and tired of cheap demos that time out after four minutes.

Be more generous and you might pick up new customers.

For example Mercenaries was a title I had no interest in whatsoever.

However after trying the demo out and playing it for over half an hour it's now on the top of my purchase list.

I spent ages playing the Rollercoaster Tycoon demo. It was timed but I kept coming back to it again and again trying to desgin some nice coasters in preperation for the main game...they were all mostly crap though.

there was a hack online for that :P I played it so much that I couldn't give a shit about the full game because it added next to nothing.

Carmageddon 2 had a good demo too because I was looking through the files and found by deleting time.txt or something obvious along those lines it removed the time limit. By the end of the weekend had managed to swap my car for the juggernaut and stuff like that.

Lamborghini demo for the xbox is one of the better demos i recall in recent time, especially seeing that it never got released. Shame that it didn`t cause by what i played of the demo it seemed like a pretty decent arcade racer and looked very nice to. Would of been good on live.

Going back a bit, the demo of Lemmings given away on an Amiga magazine cover disk persuaded me and literally dozens of my mates to buy the game on release. Plus I couldn't get sodding "How Much Is That Doggy In The Window" out of my head for days.

Saw the thread title, and the first thing that popped into my head was the Lemmings demo - glad it showed up on the first page.

I had the version that you bought from the shop, before it even appeared on magazine coverdisks. Came packaged in a wicked cardboard wallet for a quid. Played it to death, and my mate bought the full game on release day because of it. I think production values can make a demo great - when you feel as though the demo is something special, not just a snapshot of the full game whacked on a coverdisk with a load of others. The Outrun 2 demo was great because of this too - even though I didn't have Xbox Live at the time, I appreciated that this was something a bit special. It's like buying a miniature version of a game.

Also, people have mentioned the special versions of games - like Christmas Toy Commander, Christmas Nights, the many many versions of Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder etc. These are another example of demos that you appreciate all the more because they have been specially crafted, they are exclusive, and even people who own the full game might not have that little piece of gaming brilliance that you've picked up for pennies. Class.

Of late, I'd side with the Timesplitters 2 and Invisible War demos - the only ones I can really remember playing from this generation of consoles*, though I know I've been through a number of cover discs. And they were both cases where the demo ended up being a better experience than the full game.

I think Xmas Nights rules the roost, though the Amiga years were a golden time for demos, as I remember it. I certainly never had to buy a single blank disk in all my years of Amiga ownership, at any rate.

* Edit: And MGS2, of course. Bit of a mong for forgetting that one.

I hope some industry bods are out there reading this.

I'm getting sick and tired of cheap demos that time out after four minutes.

Be more generous and you might pick up new customers.

For example Mercenaries was a title I had no interest in whatsoever.

However after trying the demo out and playing it for over half an hour it's now on the top of my purchase list.

Sadly thats a sony thing. Sony feel that if they have time limits you'll play all the demos rather than the one good one that has no time limit. Of course its stupid because as soon as your enjoying it, it throws you out of the game.

And as has been shown here the demos that MADE people buy the full version are those that offer a nice long chunk of game with no time limits.

Sadly thats a sony thing. Sony feel that if they have time limits you'll play all the demos rather than the one good one that has no time limit. Of course its stupid because as soon as your enjoying it, it throws you out of the game.

And as has been shown here the demos that MADE people buy the full version are those that offer a nice long chunk of game with no time limits.

The recent(ish) demo of killzone really annoyed me actually, with its 5 minute(ish) time limit. It wasn't just that you couldn't do anything but run right through the level, it was more that it didn't reset if you quit or died meaning you really needed to go back to the demo menu before trying again otherwise you were likely to run out of time after going about ten foot into the level.

That's the second one isn't it? I'd totally forgotten about the demo of the first one, the whole of the statue of liberty bit and more I think. I guess that really stands out as a great opener for a game.

God yeah, the Deus Ex demo was incredible. It just doesn't stop! In addition to the amazing first mission, you get all the fun messing about at UNATCO bit afterwards - really sold me the game.

I'd like to put forward the original Ape Escape demo, but not having read the thread, I'm sure that I'm just giving it Another Vote.

Loads of playing time, tries of stuff that you only get later in the game. A fantastic, long play of a great game. If it had been limited to a short play I might have passed on it. As it was, I loved the world and wanted to buy the full experience. I wasn't disappointed.