Sign in to follow this  
Dimahoo

The Indie Game Thread

Just remembered about this thread again, the links now work - the site must have been down when i was trying before or my connection was being annoying. Anyway thanks a lot i'm going to check them out now

Also how sad is it that i added the release date of Phantasmagoria of Flower View to the calendar on my desktop? :lol:

RocketBowl

I grabbed this today and i totally agree - nice little bowling game with some lovely graphics and a novel way to play the game.

Well worth checking out the demo.

Guest simon h

Here's my own indie game, which I originally decided to develop after reading the many, many positive threads about Super Monkey Ball on the old Edge forum (nearly three years ago now).

www.supergerball.com

sgb_ss16_thumb.jpg

Just lately, I've been playing Orbz.

This is a great little ball game where you shoot a ball at little stars within a given time limit. The more stars, the higher the score, but the game also features a combo feature (until you miss a star), some cunningly deisgned levels, teleports and a series of score boosting power ups.

Control is simple. Mouse to move direction, Left click once to fire a power bar, and again to stop. Right click activates power ups.

Scores are attributed to awards (based a Bronze, Silver, and Gold system) - obtaining the bronze score opens the next level.

The fun comes in judging the height and distance of the stars, and using the screen's objects to work out how to grab multiple stars in one shot (thus getting more score faster).

The levels are very colourful and cartoony and the full game features many levels which are all a joy to play. It also has the all important 'one more play' factor so evident with short and sweet homebrew puzzle games.

An intresting game in development I’ve found hunting around the homebrew sites is this…

This site

Project NERO

“For the NERO project, the Digital Media Collaboratory (DMC) is working with the neuroevolution group at the Department of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin (UTCS) to build a game prototype that utilizes state-of-the-art academic artificial intelligence research in order to demonstrate its effectiveness in a game environment. The game uses the AI to allow simulated robotic agents to cope with changing environments and situations, and form adaptive tactical solutions. The end result is a game that adapts itself to the strategies desired by the player, while still allowing the AI-controlled entities to operate as autonomous agents.”

Whilst basic looking, it’s the AI that should hopefully shine through when the code is finally released.

A minimalst flash game....

Kadanamku

Here’s an oldy but goldy :

A super metroid styled game set in a cave that was completed in Dec 2004.

Doukutsu Monogatari (Jap - like you couldn't guess!)

And here is an interview with its creator…Pixel….

http://www.tigsource.com/features/interview_pixel.html

Other titles of note :

Clash ‘n’ Slash

An awsome shump kinda like a roational space invaders with ships moving towards your base at the centre of the screen and masses of powerups the all react against each other and heres the trade off - let the aliens get ever closer and more powerups can become available. Shoot these, and you could a masses firewords display as each weapon explodes onto the other, creating a cacophony of eruption (my words!).

from Cornupoita.. Gunstorm review

Cornupotia website

http://www.treality.freeserve.co.uk/gunstorm.html

Lastly from Goldbolt

A nice little RTS game by the name of Titan Assualt.

10 level Demo here

I'll check on the Phantasmagoria of Flower View game later.

QUOTE(Afterbirth @ May 24 2005, 05:02 AM

Here’s an oldy but goldy :

A super metroid styled game set in a cave that was completed in Dec 2004.

[url=http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/FreeSoft/Doukutsu.html)

Doukutsu Monogatari (Jap - like you couldn't guess!)

There's an English patch for this, it was posted here before, but as the search doesn't work right I can't find it. I played it for quite a while until I got stuck and it's great fun, obviously very metroid influenced. The English patch would be necessary to understand certain tasks i'd imagine and the storyline's pretty good.

Also thanks for the link to the flash shmup - bookmarked now :(

Being a Dodonpachi and Ikaruga person I've been forcing myself to avoid this thread. The internet access gets sorted in my new house on tuesday next week and I'm going to be spending a lot of time in here with these games :P

Clash ‘n’ Slash

An awsome shump kinda like a roational space invaders with ships moving towards your base at the centre of the screen and masses of powerups the all react against each other and heres the trade off - let the aliens get ever closer and more powerups can become available. Shoot these, and you could a masses firewords display as each weapon explodes onto the other, creating a cacophony of eruption (my words!).

from Cornupoita.. Gunstorm review

Cornupotia website

http://www.treality.freeserve.co.uk/gunstorm.html

Lastly from Goldbolt

Just completed the demo. This game is lovely. Simple, yet deeper than it looks. Add superb music and graphics and you have a little gem.

Cheers for the heads up.

Nice lil' game that. Very small, chip music and Retro invaders in a hardcore stylee!

Also like the way you can eat bullets - i've posted that as WOS to see if Stu likes it.

Oh and heres a another new 'cotton' inspired jap hori shmup demo...

Tobi Tsukishime

Latest roundup then and heres a couple of full price (a tenner anyone?) games to check....

From Chronic Logic comes Bridge Construction set, the infamous Gish and Triptych

available here...

Also available is this GTA animal activist game...

(non violent and fun for all!)

steer madness

An online Mecha game now....Dark horizons, Lore Invasion...

mech me

And finally an old Space station sim now (well 2K4 old) -

Its by Ninja Bee...a name to watch methinks...

Outpost Kaloki

And thats about it for this lil' update. Enjoy.

Remeber that demo's are all available from these sites, so you can try b4 u buy.

just out of curiosity to the guys that are developing small games for sale through BMT and the likes.. how many coppies have you shifted so far?