Sign in to follow this  
Dimahoo

The Indie Game Thread

Hey, I've searched the forum high and low but found no mention of Doukutsu Monogatari ~ The Cave Story which is a Japanese home brew game heavily inspired by Super Metroid. Only cute. Not only is it amazing but it's a tiny download so check it out.

Here's the game (You'll need WinRAr to extract the .exe)

And here's the English translation patch (Unzip it to the Doukutsu folder)

And here's a nice thread full of gushing praise (and some spoilers) for the game

Hi btw

Hi mate. Top first post. I'll check that tonight.

Obviously if anyone else finds anything of note - please post it for everyone to play - even if its costs as many of these titles are around a tenner which IMO is excellent value for these retro based titles.

I'm still waiting for someone to point me in the direction of a decent, recent freeware/ homebrew RPG/ strategy/ adventure style game. I've searched all the sites linked in this thread but not found anything. There must be some out there surely?

I'm still waiting for someone to point me in the direction of a decent, recent freeware/ homebrew RPG/ strategy/ adventure style game. I've searched all the sites linked in this thread but not found anything. There must be some out there surely?

We are working on a game in a similar style to Advance Wars. It'll be play-by-email as well as vs CPU etc. More details soon...

I was sure game tunnel had a couple in there.

yes i did have a quick look, nothing there particularly jumped out at me. maybe i should have another look as these type of games don't always look too impressive at first glance.

i'll look forward to the new pickford game of course.

Hey I'm going to pimp my game again:

'troid - http://www.hermitgames.com/troid.php

troid03t.jpgtroid02t.jpg

It's an asteroids type shooter with a scoring gimmick: hit 3 rocks of the same size to increase score multiplier. You can hit the gold rocks 3 times if you're very quick and so get a multiplier on one rock, or use it to fill in when you need more than one of a certain size. You can also collect the little bits of dust the destroyed rocks leave behind, which is worth it once you get the multiplier up.

The levels are designed as little puzzles for you to work out how to get the highest score by increasing the multiplier optimally.

It's slightly better than when I last pimped in this forum, better frontend, more demo levels, nicer effects, bouncy shots and some other stuff I can't remember right now...

Nice one MattV. Cheers.

I see you've got a nice collection of programmers posting at your site too so feel free to post any of their games.

Whilst i'm on the subject - a nice 2D arcade beat-em'up appears.....

Arm Joe

No offense like, but that's totally naive of you. It's almost like saying I don't like playing retro games 'cos I like decent graphics.

I feel he has a point.

I have a two and a half year old computer, but can't play recent titles because they're horribly jerky, even on the low settings. PES4 is a common sufferer.

Meanwhile I can still play new PS2 titles on my three and a half year old PS2 without the need to upgrade.

It's just an ease of use situation. Which doesn't really affect these titles at all.

Thanks matey. That's exactly what I was getting at.

You buy an Xbox, PS2, Cube, and you don't need to upgrade for 4 or 5 years. The programmers are constantly trying to squeeze that little bit more out of the machines.

I approve of these small business/homebrew titles as the specs are much lower than the majority of the games out today.

Rob

Thanks matey. That's exactly what I was getting at.

You buy an Xbox, PS2, Cube, and you don't need to upgrade for 4 or 5 years. The programmers are constantly trying to squeeze that little bit more out of the machines.

I approve of these small business/homebrew titles as the specs are much lower than the majority of the games out today.

I wondered what happened to this <_< A couple of games listed here have the similar specs as some recent games (e.g. KOTOR II) on the PC. Retails games match the same kind of specifications (e.g. more out of the machines, optimised code -- especially compared to homebrew titles) as Xbox, PS2 games, etc... I have a 2 and a half year old PC, it runs GTR at full details with my new graphics card (which I paid £40 second hand, price of a new game, ish). I do understand your point, don't get me wrong, but the points highlighted sound like one not familiar with PC hardware and/or gaming and are common misconceptions.

- J

I have a 2 and a half year old PC, it runs GTR at full details with my new graphics card (which I paid £40 second hand, price of a new game, ish).

Which means it's no longer the same hardware. What you've done is comparable to buying a 32X or MegaCD. Except cheaper.

Now, £40 is all well and good (assuming we can all find a good card second hand), but the problem is we need to go out and actually spend that £40 on hardware instead of software. With a console I can use that £40 for another game which looks the business instead of buying stuff to make future purchases look better.

Of course, cheap upgrades to PC kit are great, but they also prove a stumbling block at points. I can't play Half Life 2 because my computer can't handle it, and because it's a laptop there's no chance of me affording to upgrade it either. The game is locked off from me without an outlay of a few hundred pounds, and I've only had my computer for two and a half years.

Not needing to upgrade for four or five years is a brilliant thing, and lots of shareware software takes advantage of this blight on PC games.

I didn't have to upgrade though :( But my point was you're not upgrading as often as people seemed to imply. And if you've got a laptop, gaming is practically out of the question -- I would never recommend one for gaming. If you would have spent the money on 'proper' hardware instead, you'd be playing it right now :P

But, it's all swings and roundabouts; you're left with gaming that hasn't advanced much for two-and-a-half years, while everyone else has put down the dosh for whatever and is enjoying up-to-date gaming. Spending money on hardware versus software doesn't carry any weight at all. I was trying to dispel a lot of myths about PC gaming, why people won't buy into it (yet spend their money on inferior platforms and expensive software...) rather than be turn it into a PC vs. consoles argument :P

* endless configuration is a thing of the past

* plug and play hardware works

* you can play on your TV

* you can sit on your sofa, playing games via the PC

* the greatest platform for emulation

* you can use whatever pads you want

* etc, etc...

Granted, a laptop isn't a perfectly viable gaming platform, though it handles strategy games brilliantly (and Operation Flashpoint is immensely playable even on a touchpad), but it was the only practical option during my placement year in a foreign country. A whole PC was unweildy (and given the size of the room I ended up living in, practically impossible).

Sure, you don't upgrade often - BUT you do have to upgrade every 18 to 24 months if you want the latest games to look as the designer intended. To play them as they're meant to be played. This isn't the case on a console - you make a £300 (or thereabouts) investment at the start and that's good for five years, and every game is guaranteed to work for as long as that hardware is still working.

As for console gaming being stuck in the past (unless you were referring just to my own laptop situation), I'd argue that games such as Metroid Prime and Ninja Gaiden are stunning, and are nowhere near being outdone by the PC.

But lest this turn into a fanboyish rant, my true enjoyment from the PC comes from the aforementioned strategy gaming, thankfully a genre which rarely relies on up to date graphics cards and latest hardware. I have no real desire to play HL2 or Far Cry until they crop up on a console (control preferences, if the games survive the transition, which they rarely do).

The majority of indie games fall into the same bracket. I can play a ton of them on my aging, five year old 466MHz Celeron machine (which isn't my laptop, by the way) without any loss of quality, and it's a great asset.

As for console gaming being stuck in the past (unless you were referring just to my own laptop situation), I'd argue that games such as Metroid Prime and Ninja Gaiden are stunning, and are nowhere near being outdone by the PC.

Oh aye, I agree with you there but the same can be said for PC games too.

This isn't the case on a console - you make a £300 (or thereabouts) investment at the start and that's good for five years, and every game is guaranteed to work for as long as that hardware is still working.

Which isn't true; here's looking at you, Donkey Konga and various rhythm action game controllers, Steel Battalion and other expensive peripherals (oof at the steering wheels I have). Granted, indie titles don't have the same kind of outlay but there you go :(

Strategy games rock. A genre hardly touched on consoles :lol:

Which isn't true; here's looking at you, Donkey Konga and various rhythm action game controllers, Steel Battalion and other expensive peripherals (oof at the steering wheels I have).  Granted, indie titles don't have the same kind of outlay but there you go :(

Strategy games rock.  A genre hardly touched on consoles :lol:

Fine point about Donkey Konga and so forth, though of course if they were to appear on the PC they'd still require the peripheral.

I just don't see a graphics card as a peripheral - all it does is enhance the graphical capability of the machine, and is more comparable to having to own an expansion pack to play Perfect Dark (which I know further highlights your point).

I look forward to moving away from such upgrades in the future.

As for strategy games, I just don't believe a console can handle them properly. Nothing to do with the input device, but invariably the best PC strategy titles employ strong AI which is harder to replicate on a console in the same numbers, as they're graphics-driven machines with comparitively weak processors. Depends on the game though - Syndicate Wars was still ace on the PSOne, but Civiization II was dog slow to the point of tedium.

Anyhow, to end the diversion - indie games are great because you can usually play them on your old computer.

:lol:

Here's something I looked at the other day, just for fun like...

http://www.x-plane.com/SpaceCombat.html

I often watch Star Wars, Star Trek, and Babylon 5 and wonder how those spaceships really should handle.

Could the X-Wing really maneuver like that?

Need the Imperial Star Destroyers really be so LUMBERING?

What would it be like to fly a Star Fury?

How should a vessel of a given mass, size, and thruster power REALLY handle?

Enter Space Combat, a space simulator where all of the laws of physics are accurately applied to

your vehicle.

It was an interesting diversion for a while. Maybe not 100% in line with the topic but seeing as it doesn't get updated too often... :( Saves discussing the merits of particular gaming platforms when it's all good, baby.

Wonderful thread that has given me a barrel of fun already. Some great stuff in that first post Afterbirth.

I really like this game. RocketBowl

It's bowling with rocket power added to the mix so you can correct your aim. Great physics and cheesy music that really suits the game. Ace fun.

Okay, had a hunt around tonight and found free gems.

They're actually quite old (well - Direct X 8 era).

They're all in Jap and direct download -

All instructions are in Jap but you should be able to suss it.

Magical Broom Extreme

Cotton Style shmup - only for teh hardcore mind.

Raging Blue

I think this is a RS clone, but i've not played RS so someone tell me!

Gunviper

- Absolutely stunning ray-storm ish clone

Helsinker

If this game runs to fast, check the second wait state box at setup (default off - i'm guessing its some kinda speed cache)

- Another game very similar to the Perfect Cherry Blossom series.

-------------------------

Now Sharewhere, check this...

A Cross bewteen Alien Syndrome, Gauntlet, and that 3D isometric game that came out on the Amiga (name escapes me!)...

as5.jpg

Its called alien shooter and the great thing is is controls really well. Mouse to aim, and cursors to move BUT if you have a JoytechNEO (or any pad that has a button assign configerator - you can use that instead - mouse and D-pad combo - it works a treat).

Its a fantastic little shmup well worth your money. Of course a demo is available...

here

And play.com sell that pad @ 7.99. Use RLLMUK link to access.

181425m.jpg

Its the most soild and stable pad their is. (At least on the PC.)

A Cross bewteen Alien Syndrome, Gauntlet, and that 3D isometric game that came out on the Amiga (name escapes me!)...

Skeleton Crew