Sign in to follow this  
Dimahoo

The Indie Game Thread

I loathe PC gaming, probably because you need Cray Supercomputer specs to get games to run properly, and also because I reckon you can't beat playing games in front of the TV.

However, the above games look amazing and very retro in style (playability wise).

I'll get downloading over the weekend!

Cheers for the links.

Edit: Changed PC to TV - duur!

Yeah, thanks Afterbirth :( I'll finally be able to play all these lovely homebrew games, as I'll have a new PC (with Cray Supercomputer specs, sorry Robert!) this weekend :D

WOO! I do like the look of Jets 'n' Guns!

Homebrew games have the advantage in that they don't need to be massive sellers or have large production values (in the manufacturing sense, not the coding/design/art sense).

So you can get games like the above.

Afterbirth - what other good indie game review/resource sites are there? I came across Game Tunnel last week, and would like to find more of a similar quality. I quite like GT, I'll have to get TCFG reviewed there when it's done.

Next year.

It's the future!

Seriously, when the big companies disappear up their own multimillion dollar arses and the entire market crashes again there will still be small teams making fun, funky little games that remind us of why we do this in the first place.

I tells ya!

I was going to post something about Orbz, but found it slightly lacking. Its a nice little game, but the stop/start nature puts me off.

But otherwise not bad.

There's not many games like it (none that immediately spring to mind).

Jet's and Guns is very good but suffers two problems that many PC shmups seem to have :

1). You've got a energy/hull shield - when your struck, it depletes, but you can't always tell when this has occured without constantly looking at the meter.

This is made slightly worse by the fact that you can't always see what scenery isl killing you.

2). Your given inadequet firepower at the start of the game meaning you HAVE to sometimes let aliens pass, rather then take them on. Your only have 2 ship slots and all the weapons available at the start are rather weedy - although this changed.

This aside what a game. Graphically it really is nice. Some real effort has been made in the backgrounds (it needs DirectX 9b) and theres sub-tasks to complete too. Theres a real urge to complete the levels just to see how fantastic the next one is and the little bits of gore are funny too (you kill animals later).

Anything by Cho  - Torus Trooper

Kenta Cho is bit of a god in the Homebrew Shmup scene and TT is a A real mindblower. Another game kinda similar to STUN Runner buit mixed with tempest.

Its as if Jeff Minter produced a game, but substiutued the animals for proper sprites.

Yeah, I was browsing Gametunnel and Starscape caught my attention. I just had a go and I'm very impressed. More my kind of thing actually, so I'll probably be buying that. It would be great if it expands a little into the resource management of the station (without getting too bogged down), and researching and building new craft, etc.

Level 2 is an absolute bitch (the ship rescue).

TBH - you may as well dodge most of it, because your weapons are too weedy at this point.

Apprantly the levels don't get as hard again until much, much later.

I loathe PC gaming, probably because you need Cray Supercomputer specs to get games to run properly, and also because I reckon you can't beat playing games in front of the TV.

No offense like, but that's totally naive of you. It's almost like saying I don't like playing retro games 'cos I like decent graphics.

Nice work though, Afterbirth. Why is it in the retro folder though?

Hamsterball is a great game.. Best Marble Madness type game on a PC I've seen so far.

Not that its perfect but its very playable and worth the money.. Try the demo. It lets you play through the first 5 or 6 levels.. Give it a go if you liked marble madness

;)

I figured Retro would be better as 'most' of the genres are retro or remakes - although its kinda ironic as many of these games are also experimenting with new genres.

I'd requested to make this a sticky so i could update it but my post was no replied too so i guess people are not that intrested. Shame because when the PC has lull's in gaming (esp. during late winter summer) - theres a wealth of gaming here to play and most of it is very good.

loathe PC gaming, probably because you need Cray Supercomputer specs to get games to run properly, and also because I reckon you can't beat playing games in front of the TV.

Rob, why not connect the S-Video of your card to the input on your TV (assuming you have one with said input).

(Mame also plays really well like this - not to indifferent from the PS2 remakes - and its much bigger, so vertical shmups feel much better).

(I can't remember if you have a cab for mame).

They haven't all got animals in.

I know, i know - it was meant out of respect (and thanks to Retro i can play them all again!)

No offense like, but that's totally naive of you. It's almost like saying I don't like playing retro games 'cos I like decent graphics.

I feel he has a point.

I have a two and a half year old computer, but can't play recent titles because they're horribly jerky, even on the low settings. PES4 is a common sufferer.

Meanwhile I can still play new PS2 titles on my three and a half year old PS2 without the need to upgrade.

It's just an ease of use situation. Which doesn't really affect these titles at all.