IGNORED

Phantasy Star Universe Online?

Hodge

I remember paying silly money for the GC game, keyboard and bba. I played it for about a week. I was really close to giving up as people were constantly taking the piss and calling me a noob. Then one night I got to play the game with some Scotish lads and it was class. They showed me how to play and I never looked back. After reading this thread I am tempted to get the Xbox version.

I feel like I'm probably being naive here, but why is cheating such a problem on PSO and not other MMORPGs?

By that I mean, it's the only game I know of where the cheaters 'won', so to speak. Also, no other mmorpg I know of has cheaters, again, maybe I'm being naive.

Wait for the new PC version, Blue Burst, if you're after that - it's getting an English translation in the summer.

whats blueburst like jack? Having played the game to level 200 i'm not sure if a few new levels weapons and monsters tacked onto the old game would be enough of a difference to lure me back.

I mean PSOv2 was free for us and i'm all ready paying for Live. It could have been the greatest Live game ever.

Agreed. And the headset lag on the XBox version, at £6 per month, is positively insulting. Strangely it never gets mentioned anywhere, but there's a 5 second delay between you speaking and your mate(s) hearing it. The rumour is that it's because they were going to interface with the Gamecube version and they figured it's the same kind of delay keyboard input would give you. Level the playing field and all that. Plus, I guess it means the symbolchat shortcuts don't get relegated to 'pointless'. Makes me angry though...

Definitely up for a game at some point if any of you guys fancy it. Need a few days to get it arranged (my time is rarely my own these days) but yeah, that'd be really cool. :D

BTW, if you've only played the Dreamcast games, the XBox version is 2.0, not 1.2; you're looking at loads of extra content (proper new levels - a whole new planet in fact) since the Dreamcast version. It's pretty nice, too. Lots of new stuff in there. I figure Blue Burst is the same amount of new stuff again?

I feel like I'm probably being naive here, but why is cheating such a problem on PSO and not other MMORPGs?

By that I mean, it's the only game I know of where the cheaters 'won', so to speak. Also, no other mmorpg I know of has cheaters, again, maybe I'm being naive.

Because its not really an mmorpg, its all set levels with console side saves.

Its been said before, but to really combat the cheaters server side saves would be needed, which means your always connected to the server when you are playing, so that nothing unrtoward can happen to your character data etc.

Its been said before, but to really combat the cheaters server side saves would be needed, which means your always connected to the server when you are playing, so that nothing unrtoward can happen to your character data etc.

so does that mean all the cheating and memory card corruptions could have been spared at the expense of the offline mode? Sounds like it would have been a small price to pay...

wasnt there a rumour that they would do an online phantasy star on the ds?

Server side saves would of been a god send to me.

I lost 4 or 5 lv100+ characters to a bad memory card >.<

What a great game it was though, I have fond memories of all my years playing it. I doubt I'll ever play one game so much again unless someone manages to create a PSO / FFXI hybrid type thing.

whats blueburst like jack? Having played the game to level 200 i'm not sure if a few new levels weapons and monsters tacked onto the old game would be enough of a difference to lure me back.

I played one level of it at TGS. It had a pretty cool looking new level with new monsters and new weapons. Some of the enemies and the boss were truly huge, great fun to play. But ultimately, it really was the same old PSO with no innovation or anything.

-Jools

Perhaps no bad thing...

well, if they have ironed out cheating and corruption with the pc game then it would be fantastic, and i can imagine there would be plenty of keyboard shortcuts to make life easier... anyone know how much it will cost per month?

They must have made enough money from pso to make a sequel a worthwhile venture. And they must know enough about the technical problems of their old games to eradicate cheating... and the customers are all there ready and waiting... they'd be crazy not to make a new one, unless they plan on stringing the old one out for eternity on the pc

I think there are ways to eliminate or dramatically reduce the cheating without sacrificing offline play.

I'm busy writing another post at the moment, but in the meantime, as a warm-up, can any of the posters here identify the main areas where cheating occurs? Just so new people coming into the thread understand what this is all about.

My two cents:

- Item duping. Bad because: it unbalances the game, and ruins trading.

- NOLing (DC). Bad because: it wipes out hours of work levelling up and developing a character.

- BSOD. Bad because: same as above. Also it's well scary when it happens.

There are mny more that the RLLMUK collective will be able to come up with, I'm sure.

Or should this go in a new thread? ;)

Ah, if this didn't exist I would have to create it...

Put simply, I want this game. More than any other. I'd hesitate to use the word magical in reference to the vast majority of games but Ragol was a magical place and every night of slogging through the Ruins, dodging Chaos Bringers and fleeing Magicians was pure concentrated aceness and the Challenge Mode (Episode II's tediously hard levels excepted) was my all time favourite gaming moment. Getting those S-Rank daggers...

I understand the thread starter's concerns following Naka's comments in the recent interview but the original trailer indicated the game would cater for both single, story-based and online players and I'm confident that that will still be the case with the final game, whenever it's finally ready.

It won't be Ragol but as long as it's somewhere with the same spirit, with the same spirit of adventure and that will do nicely for me. If it lives up to my hopes, every other MMORPG can take a hike. If it doesn't...

..well, it's just not gonna happen. It's going to be ace.