The Mole - Infiltrating North Korea, on iPlayer

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000nr85

Ordinary guy decides to infiltrate North Korea. Don't want to say too much as it goes places. Interesting people, and as always, NK itself is such a fascinating place to observe. 

9 hours ago, englishbob said:

Yes I remember this, bonkers

I remember seeing the original incident on an episode of Traffic Cops. It's completely shocking because there's no lead-in, just some innocuous police-at-the-side-of-the-road chat and the next minute they're running into traffic! At least the documentary posted above eases you into what you're about to see being quite graphic.

The bit from Traffic Cops:

• 1 month later...

Last nights Channel 5 "Inside Chernobyl Ben Fogle" was better than the average C5 programme, but still there wasn't anything particularly new in it, although they did spend the last third talking about the phenomena of Stalkers.

I was hoping for more on-the-ground footage, I've seen enough aerial shots and slow panning up-shots from a drone that its almost become a cliché to be exclusively in a programme about Chernobyl 

He also probably mentioned about 5 times in 10 minutes that it was the worst nuclear disaster the world has ever seen. Yes mate, we know!

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2005 at 17:00, Graham S said:

That's right. It was called "Fourteen Days in May". I had trouble googling too until my massive brain remembered the chap was called "Edward Earl Johnson": adding that as a search term brings up lots of entries: I'll have a read through them later. It was powerful, heart-rending stuff. I think there may have been a follow-up doc after he was executed casting further doubt on whether he was guilty.

I also recall that his lawyer was that famous death row lawyer Clive Stafford Smith. And that there was an angry UK rap single of the same title featuring a sample from Robocop inspired by the documentary (a google search says it was by Overlord X and a .ram file seems to be hosted on this page).

This is on BBC iplayer, a must watch.

50 minutes ago, museman123 said:

This is on BBC iplayer, a must watch.

Since the last time this came up (over 15 years ago!) I went to a screening of this with Clive Stafford Smith. It was very moving, it was the first time he'd seen the documentary in many years. IIRC he had some regrets, he continued to believe in his innocence and believed that if he'd pursued a different approach to the trial and investigating some other things about the case that Johnson may well have still been with us today.

Class Action Park is on Sky documentaries at the moment and it's brilliant. It's about a water park that was created with pretty much no care towards health and safety. There was a loop the loop slide which was made without any consideration of design and the owners just paid workers $100 to try it out knowing they would get hurt. There were snakes in some of the pools, which they did nothing about. Countless people were severely injured. Guests were electrocuted, had their spines broken and much more. One of the slides gave you an enema. They served alcohol to minors and the whole place seemed to be run by pissed-up teenagers. Nobody would give the owner insurance, so he created his own insurance company and ended up insuring himself. It was lovingly named Traction Park, such was it's ability to injure anyone who went there. 

38 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Class Action Park is on Sky documentaries at the moment and it's brilliant. It's about a water park that was created with pretty much no care towards health and safety. There was a loop the loop slide which was made without any consideration of design and the owners just paid workers $100 to try it out knowing they would get hurt. There were snakes in some of the pools, which they did nothing about. Countless people were severely injured. Guests were electrocuted, had their spines broken and much more. One of the slides gave you an enema. They served alcohol to minors and the whole place seemed to be run by pissed-up teenagers. Nobody would give the owner insurance, so he created his own insurance company and ended up insuring himself. It was lovingly named Traction Park, such was it's ability to injure anyone who went there. 

Cant find it on sky??

1 hour ago, museman123 said:

Cant find it on sky??

Aggh, seems it's come off there now which is annoying. It's well worth seeking out if you can find it. It's utterly compelling and gob-smacking by today's standards.

I watched A Glitch in the Matrix last night, which was all about simulation theory. Was an interesting discussion of the topic, although the continuous use of digital avatars over zoom call footage was quite distracting. The centrepiece is an interview with Joshua Cooke, who talks about how he became so obsessed with the idea that we are already in the Matrix that he murdered his mum and dad with a shotgun. That whole segment was absolutely chilling. 

Playing with Power: A Nintendo Story

This is a five part documentary - averages around an hour an episode.

It's a fun watch, it does drag on a bit though. The first few episodes are good, focusing on what made Nintendo Nintendo and goes into the history of the company. 

However, by episode 4 there is a lot of other consoles/companies (Sony Vs Nintendo etc) making appearances which pushes the Nintendo story aside somewhat.

This is strictly a look at the story from an American point of view, there is not a single person from Nintendo in it and the only ones that makes an appearance are ones that have since left NOA like Reggie, Howard Lincoln etc. If you have already read the book game over by David sherrif, you will probably already know all this and more that's discussed.

Needs to be a proper documentary with Nintendo themselves now.

19 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Aggh, seems it's come off there now which is annoying. It's well worth seeking out if you can find it. It's utterly compelling and gob-smacking by today's standards.

Managed to acquire it and will watch tonight!   Just finished hoop dreams which is also on iplayer, what a film.

On 15/03/2021 at 18:57, Stopharage said:

I enjoyed this but bloody hell. Take a drink every time they say "Action Park" and enjoy the next two weeks on a ventilator. What's the name of the place again? Is it Action Park?

On 15/03/2021 at 18:57, Stopharage said:

Just watched it on Virgin catch-up.

About 23 minutes in, 'It was kind of a social experiment.'

Would watch again.

On 16/03/2021 at 10:05, Darhkwing said:

Playing with Power: A Nintendo Story

This is a five part documentary - averages around an hour an episode.

It's a fun watch, it does drag on a bit though. The first few episodes are good, focusing on what made Nintendo Nintendo and goes into the history of the company. 

However, by episode 4 there is a lot of other consoles/companies (Sony Vs Nintendo etc) making appearances which pushes the Nintendo story aside somewhat.

This is strictly a look at the story from an American point of view, there is not a single person from Nintendo in it and the only ones that makes an appearance are ones that have since left NOA like Reggie, Howard Lincoln etc. If you have already read the book game over by David sherrif, you will probably already know all this and more that's discussed.

Needs to be a proper documentary with Nintendo themselves now.

Really enjoyed this. 

I’m enjoying the 12 part ‘The Movies’ series on NOW TV.

Covers every decade, plenty of great clips, some trivia I didn’t know and really good talking heads (Hanks, De Niro, Edgar Wright, Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Reiner, Mann amongst many, many, more, etc)

I watched the first part of the HBO Q Anon documentary. It’s really well made but very sad, the amount of lives ruined by these grifters is tragic. 

Robert Anton Wilson couldn’t make this shit up. Definitely recommended.

I watched ‘Poly Styrene: I am a Cliche’ today. Found it unexpectedly moving, as it was made by her daughter, and it spent quite a long section talking about her mother’s struggles with her Bipolar Disorder, and subsequent young death from cancer. I had a very similar childhood as my mum had the same disorder, and is also now dying of cancer, so it really smashed me in the feels. 

On 21/03/2021 at 11:38, Ork1927 said:

I’m enjoying the 12 part ‘The Movies’ series on NOW TV.

Covers every decade, plenty of great clips, some trivia I didn’t know and really good talking heads (Hanks, De Niro, Edgar Wright, Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Reiner, Mann amongst many, many, more, etc)

We watched all this last year. It's really good viewing.

On 23/03/2021 at 18:38, Silent Runner said:

I watched the first part of the HBO Q Anon documentary. It’s really well made but very sad, the amount of lives ruined by these grifters is tragic. 

Robert Anton Wilson couldn’t make this shit up. Definitely recommended.

Watched two episodes now, am enjoying it as I really wasn't aware of what Q was and it's interesting to see the backstories of 4/8chan. Yet I'm not exactly eager to see more episodes, not sure where else it can go other than leading up to reveal who Q is but that ain't happening is it? 

Class Action park is phenomenal, tell a nice trashy story in a concise manner with no attempts to string it out to 6 episodes or a 2h + runtime.

It really is a story that could only happen in the early 80s too, its so of its time.