IGNORED

Documentaries

gravity0

Utterly nerdy, but I've been watching the documentary BBS http://www.bbsdocumentary.com/ which I've found highly enjoyable, but then I am prone to nostalgia and have a soft spot for low-tech stuff. I wondered what the filmmaker was up to now and it turns out it's this:

http://www.getlamp.com/

A doc about text adventures, featuring interviews with many names that will be very familiar to even passing fans of the genre. Pre-ordered!

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone else find Man On Wire kind of a letdown? I'm not sure what I was expecting but having seen the awards and glowing reviews and stuff, I thought there'd be a bit more to it. There's no denying it was an amazing stunt, it just didn't feel like they had enough to make a film about it.

I agree. This is what I said about it in the Man on Wire thread:

I was ever so slightly disappointed by this. It was a good film for sure but all the press and comments in this thread had perhaps made expectations too high. I liked Phillipe and the others and it was quite magical seeing him do these wirewalks but there was just something missing for me. They seemed to artificially inflate the heist element whilst also making it drag a little and ignoring one of the more interesting elements of his personality altogether - i.e. his selfish side. If I'd discovered this documentary on TV without knowing anything about it I'd probably have warmed to it more but as it stands it just didn't dig deep enough for me.

Really Want to see this..

[yt]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS456z5JFck&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS456z5JFck&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS456z5JFck&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, there's a few 30 for 30 documentaries I'm looking forward to. The Two Escobars looks fantastic.

I can't remember if this was mentioned already, but I have heard good things:

Part 1, Run Ricky Run:

[yt]42gr2jhpGLI[/yt]

Grizzly_Man_Poster.jpg

I watched this yesterday. I'm starting to like the dry style of Werner Herzog and I'd heard this was supposed to be his best documentary.

It feels a bit Blair Witch. A man spends 12 summers in Alaska, communing with bears, getting close enough to touch these furry killing machines. Then one day a bear turned on him and his girlfriend, killing them both. The documentary is an investigation into what drives a man to spend more time with bears than people. Was he mad or holy?

It's certainly aided by the fact everybody seems to be drawn from a Coen brother's movie. The morgue guy is unbelievable! Some great characters, personal stories, and probably more heart than I've seen in any of his other documentaries. Herzog even appears on camera urging the dead man's ex-girlfriend to destroy the tape of his dying moments, which is unusual for him. It's a bit similar to Into The Wild, but this time you get to see the footage. It's not grim or sick either, it doesn't show you anything you might regret, just a fascinating person in a fascinating situation.

I watched Grizzly Man a few years ago. The part you mentioned where Herzog urges Treadwell's ex to destroy the tape is heartbreaking. The poor woman is a mess, holding on to this death tape for god knows what reason.

Again if anyone hasn't seen this, search it out. It really is a fantastic documentary.

I agree. This is what I said about it in the Man on Wire thread:

Oh man i'm totally the flip side of this. I ADORE man on wire. Think about it, these people broke into the capital of Americas financial system just to do something magical. It is so wonderfully nostalgic for a time before lawsuits and wars on terror and cctv and all the things that have made society sterile. I think it is a truly life affirming documentary

We Live In Public

This is the story of Josh Harris an internet entrepreneur who made a fortune in the early 90’s and then spent his money on massive performance art projects.

Harris was an early internet multi-millionaire. After making his cash he decided to spend it on this massive art project in the run up to the millennium. He rented some buildings in New York and converted them to be sealed off from the outside World. Then he recruited loads of artists and incredibly annoying New York scenester types to live in this installation where everything thing they do is filmed and everyone can see and hear what everyone else is doing. He then gave them loads of free booze and made them go through these ‘interrogations’ from guys dressed up like they’re in the Stasi or something. Unsurprisingly after the abuse, the free booze and having cameras pointed at them for a month people start to get pretty pissed off and thing start to get a bit messy. Fights start, people argue and eventually the police come and shut the whole thing down.

His next big project is to have his girlfriend move in with him and put cameras all over their apartment and film themselves doing everything – cameras in their bedroom, bathroom etc. Eventually this ends badly.

The film ends with

him going broke, buying an apple farm, selling the farm and moving to Ethiopia.

By this stage I’d lost all interest in this guy and his annoying face and voice.

This was fairly terrible. As someone on IMDB accurately points out ‘There can be few more tedious groups of people than dot-com entrepreneurs and performance artists’ and these 2 groups are on screen for most of this film. Some of the stuff about the early days of the internet is pretty interesting but this Josh Harris guy is such a tool it’s a pain to have to endure his company for 90 minutes.

Dull and not worth watching.

Not strictly a documentary, but the This American Life podcast would surely appeal to a lot of people here. It's a Chicago public radio podcast, and strings together 3 or 4 real life short stories each week, loosely based around the same theme. Usually narrated by the subject of each mini documentary, it's funny, edicational, and heartwarming stuff.

If we're talking radio, then I recommend the BBC World Service Documentary Archive podcasts, there's 2 or 3 really good 20min documentaries released per week :)

Anyone mentioned this film?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoe

Marjoe_DVDcover2009.jpg

Oscar winning documentary from 1972, where a child preacher in the 60's becomes a rock-star-preacher/con-man and decides to blow the whistler on the whole thing by making a documentary.

It's really funny watching him work the ground and making people spazz-out, then go home and count all his piles of cash ;)

Storyville is amazing right now. Check this gem out, it's only up until thursday, but it is the best thing I have seen for ages:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0082...se_Vote_for_Me/

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It was great, more for how it proves politicians never change - they just get more sly.

It reminded me more of In the Loop than anything.

The Splat Pack

WYRD Studios is releasing a documentary titled The Splat Pack, directed by Mark Henry and Frank H. Woodward. The movie takes “a look back at the first decade of 21st Century horror films and the filmmakers that re-energized the genre.” The documentary features new interviews with Alexandre Aja (High Tension), Darren Lynn Bousman (the Saw series), Adam Green (Hatchet), Alan Jones, Harry Knowles, Greg McLean (Wolf Creek), Neil Marshall (The Descent), Greg Nicotero, Eli Roth (Hostel), Staci Layne Wilson and more. The doc seems to be mostly a talking head retrospective, mixed with clips from the horror films discussed. WYRD has released the first movie trailer for the upcoming release.

Contains graphic scenes

• 2 weeks later...

Fred Dibnah - Steeplejack. I saw this years ago, when I was a kid and I was amazed to find it on Youtube yesterday. I'd been reading about how Fred's steam engine fetched £240k at auction the other week and looked him up on Wikipedia. This was his first TV appearance and the show actually won a BAFTA. A document of times gone by.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is well worth a watch (apologies if it's already been mentioned). While some of the detective-style segments of it fall a little flat, the interviews and subject matter are fascinating, the reality of film certification in America makes for enthralling viewing.

Oooh when's that Splat Pack documentary coming out?

No idea sadly, doesn't appear to have a listing on IMDb, but I might be wrong. Probably suddenly turn up online I imagine.

I enjoyed 'This Movie....Rated' but felt the detective parts played too much a role as the docu went on, making it sort of lose sight of the subject as it went on. I wasn't that fussed about who made up the MPAA past the fact of who they were - I wanted to know more about the decisions they'd made etc.

• 2 weeks later...

If we're talking radio, then I recommend the BBC World Service Documentary Archive podcasts, there's 2 or 3 really good 20min documentaries released per week :)

Anyone mentioned this film?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoe

Marjoe_DVDcover2009.jpg

Oscar winning documentary from 1972, where a child preacher in the 60's becomes a rock-star-preacher/con-man and decides to blow the whistler on the whole thing by making a documentary.

It's really funny watching him work the ground and making people spazz-out, then go home and count all his piles of cash ;)

Oddly, I went to a screening of The Last Exorcism the other week, a Blair Witch-style faux doc about exorcism, and the main character was very clearly modelled on Marjoe.