IGNORED

Psp Faults

pretentious_helvetica

From Gamespot...

Nearly 5,000 units are returned to Sony for buggy button; Kutaragi unapologetic about the handheld's design.

TOKYO--About 4,800 Japanese PSPs have been returned to Sony due to problems with the handheld's square button, according to a recent interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi in Nikkei Business magazine.

Kutaragi acknowledged that the button is less responsive than the others, in part because it's so close to the PSP's 480x272 screen. Because there isn't enough room to put the square button's detection switch directly underneath, it's off to the right, making it less responsive--and sometimes causing it to stick.

Nikkei Business reported that, to date, .6 percent of the 800,000 shipped units have been returned to Sony for repair. Kutaragi was unapologetic about the issue: "This is the design that we came up with. There may be people that complain about its usability, but that's something which users and game software developers will have to adapt to. I didn't want the PSP's LCD screen to become any smaller than this, nor did I want its machine body to become any larger.

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

Offering additional testimony praising the handheld, Kutaragi said, "I believe we made the most beautiful thing in the world. Nobody would criticize a renowned architect's blueprint that the position of a gate is wrong. It's the same as that."

.6% is a tiny number, though his arrogance strikes me as something a touch scary. He's also compared the PSP to a gate. Mentalist.

The reality is no one has yet made the perfect handheld. In my view the original GBA came closest, except it needed a backlight.

The SP was ugly and uncomfortable.

The NGPC had ridiculous hardware sprite limitations which reduce the number of colours insanely.

The DS feels cheap and nasty.

The PSP "nub" sucks

The GP32 is just crap.

The reality is the PSP gets a lot of basic things (ie that gorgeous screen) absolutely right.

The reality is no one has yet made the perfect handheld. In my view the original GBA came closest, except it needed a backlight.

The NGPC had ridiculous hardware sprite limitations which reduce the number of colours insanely.

The DS feels cheap and nasty.

The PSP "nub" sucks

The GP32 is just crap.

The reality is the PSP gets a lot of basic things (ie that gorgeous screen) absolutely right.

Ashame all the dead pixles on it render it useless

:D

"The button's location is [architectured] on purpose," Kutaragi added. "It's according to specifications. This is something that we've created, and this is our specification. There was a clear purpose to it, and it wasn't a mistake."

wow, the new 'faulty-o-matic' button system for accurately simulating weapons jams and other hard to model mechanical faults?

It will be cool for emulation though, i always managed to piss up the fire buttons on 8 bit joysticks. I dont suppose there are any problems with moving left on the PSP are there?

I've used my PSP regularly for over a month now, with 4 games, and not had a single problem with it. When everyone that is speculating has one we may see some true opinions.

His attitude needs to be arrogant, they're hardly going to say there's a problem when the thing has barely made it to market yet, are they?

Someone my wife knows(honest) had to come in a day early from her new year break to get cracking on the faulty units. They had been told in advance by Sony to expect a fair number of returns. I'll still end up getting one, but I'll give it a few months.

I've used my PSP regularly for over a month now, with 4 games, and not had a single problem with it. When everyone that is speculating has one we may see some true opinions.

His attitude needs to be arrogant, they're hardly going to say there's a problem when the thing has barely made it to market yet, are they?

I've also had mine for about a month and on the whole I think it's an excellent machine, probably the only faults that I have with it are:

- The flimsy memory card cover

- The squeeky dpad (ok, relatively trivial and not too bad when you're wearing headphones but a bit annoying)

- As I mentioned above, the blurring on the screen, minimised when you're using the extra bright setting when plugged into the mains but quite noticeable still, especially on Ridge Racers.

I also find the battery cover a bit tough to get off and back on again but taht might be my reluctance to use too much force on something that looks so expensive...!

All relatively minor issues and I haven't* yet had a problem with the square button. Plus Ridger Racers and Lumines are bloody ace...

Overall? 6 thumbs and a barrel of apples out of 10...

*crosses fingers

The question is whether they will make sufficient improvements over time to warrant waiting it out...

My view is that they will simply keep cranking out new units as fast as they can until demand slows (which will probably take months if not more than a year). Then they might start thinking about fixing the minor (or major, depending on your viewpoint) problems the system has.

This console business is starting to look like the patching scam we keep putting up with by PC game developers

You think so? I think it's a really nice looking little machine and not at all uncomfortable, even with long periods of use. Each to their own I guess, but as far as functionality goes I think the SP is pretty much the best handheld design out there.

I've also had mine for about a month and on the whole I think it's an excellent machine, probably the only faults that I have with it are:

- The flimsy memory card cover

- The squeeky dpad (ok, relatively  trivial and not too bad when you're wearing headphones but a bit annoying)

- As I mentioned above, the blurring on the screen, minimised when you're using the extra bright setting when plugged into the mains but quite noticeable still, especially on Ridge Racers.

I also find the battery cover a bit tough to get off and back on again but taht might be my reluctance to use too much force on something that looks so expensive...!

All relatively minor issues and I haven't* yet had a problem with the square button. Plus Ridger Racers and Lumines are bloody ace...

Overall? 6 thumbs and a barrel of apples out of 10...

*crosses fingers

The memory card cover is a bit flimsy but i just don't play with it, it's not 'fallen' open or anything yet. DPad was squeaky for me initalliy( gave it that 'new' feel) but has stopped doing it now. Battery cover i do agree with but i've only tried it once and have no reason to take it off again, unless i get a 2nd battery.

But i don't class any of these as problems, nothing i've come across in the world of electronics has ever been perfect and i don't see these as limiting my enjoyment of the system.

I dont suppose there are any problems with moving left on the PSP are there?

It'd actually be right on the d-pad, and I have seen one person complaining that it was less responsive that the other directions, although of course this was an internet complaint so there's a possibility it's not real (I'd tend towards believing it was given this interview).

I hope the button thing gets sorted out for the launch of the PSP here, but I'm not too worried if it isn't - it seems to be a relatively minor problem (except on some forums where apparently it proves Sony are evil and hate everyone).

i remember PS2 had some memory card problem or somthing or other when it came out in Japan, it was fixed soon enough. It really is a case of making a big deal out of nothing.

Saving Ridge Racer Whatever overwrote part of the DVD player program on faulty cards, I think. They replaced them.

They bloody should do if it looks crap. Just because someone is reowned, doesn't mean their always good. We all make mistakes.

Yeah, but generally ours cost as much as a bottle of tippex to correct, rather than tens of millions of quids. ;)

Not that that excuses them. If they knew about the problem, they should have fixed it. And the gate analogy is the most ridiculous thing ever. I think a better one would have been "placed the light switches on the skirting board".

So much moaning over nothing. NOTHING is perfect, the PSP is damn close though. I had:

Squeaky D-pad (right only)...worked itself out.

Screen blur noticable on Rally-x and a tiny amount in Ridge. Most of it (in Ridge) is programmed in for effect.

Screen even scratches up if you use glasses cleaner.

Disc catch is noticably weak metal but no huge problem.

Analogue stick is pure crap.

But look at the original GBA. The screen is a joke, a travesty. Unplayable outside of ideal light conditions. Ugly and toy like. Nowts perfect, especially not new technoology.

The doomsayers are conspicious in the fact they tend to not own a machine. I wont kid myself its perfect but its great...and its 1st gen hardware. Look at 1st gen minidiscs...theyre completely awful now but revolutionary at the time.

I still don't think the screen should suffer dead pixels though - unless transportation causes the issue.

Just about everything with an LCD has this sort of dead pixel haze hanging over it these days, though. It's impractical for Sony to check every pixel on every unit before shipping, so they've basically got to get the screens from the supplier and install them. They're not Class I screens or whatever, so dead pixels may be present.

Even the DSes have had dead pixels, although Nintendo's return policies are far more reasonable (I'll be interested to see how SCEA and SCEE handle things; I hear SCEJ's pixel policies are in line with other companies inside Japan).

Tom's Hardware Guide on wanky LCD panel manufacturers