rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
shirubagan

The Rllmuk Metal Thread

Go on lads, NEGATON AWAY!!! :D

Amazing list! Kudos for dat Periphery yo!

Probably subject to change, pretty much whenever I look at it, but here you go.

(the most recent album on there is Colors from 2007 :facepalm: )

Nice! We finally get everyone's tastes in one handy post. :D

Pentagram tonight. I literally don't know a single note of theirs; just going because had a barny with the missus and I didn't want to continue with that.

When bad times turn good...enjoy

A list of 50 from a dirty old metaller:

7c676dfdaa80f804061d9575f76e2153.jpg

Pig Destroyer tomorrow!!!!

Hmm, so I've given it a good few listens, but I'm just not feeling the new Pig Destroyer all that much. Perhaps it's the impossible weight of expectation, but I've just listened to it, and then gone back and listened to Terrifyer. No comparison, really.

Nothing on the newie sounds quite as deranged and barely under control as something like Lost Cause:

Man, I feel like a butt for not coming to Damnation this year :( I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the end of August AND my hair has been falling out again (leading me to shave it all off again, boo!) so the combination has lead to me struggling a bit frankly. Not sure if I could manage a day of metal at the mo. Also I'm poor :P Enjoy it, you bastards!

Man, I feel like a butt for not coming to Damnation this year :( I got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the end of August AND my hair has been falling out again (leading me to shave it all off again, boo!) so the combination has lead to me struggling a bit frankly. Not sure if I could manage a day of metal at the mo. Also I'm poor :P Enjoy it, you bastards!

Shit man, that sucks — thought you were coming!

Although if you're in need of hair replenishment, a day of testosterone-addled RIFFS would start the follicles activating again. In fact, I'm kinda counting on it. I'm going to be pressing my thinning temples against Pig Destroyer's bass amp, in order to kickstart some fresh growth…

Christ Kelthink, sorry to hear that man - if you do decide to show up at the last minute come find us and we will take care of you!

Been observing the lineup for this year and I don't think I'll be going to the main stage at all, which almost feels like I'm doing it wrong. Sad to be missing Gama Bomb but Bossk are just too far up my street to say no. May try My Dying Bride for some "not-as-good-as-Paradise-Lost" action before defecting to a third viewing of Maybeshewill instead.

Still, Damnation eh? Third year for me and while technically this is the weakest lineup for my tastes of the three years by far, I am still ludicrously hype and cannot wait :)

Christ Kelthink, sorry to hear that man - if you do decide to show up at the last minute come find us and we will take care of you!

May try My Dying Bride for some "not-as-good-as-Paradise-Lost" action before

What What Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Hmm, so I've given it a good few listens, but I'm just not feeling the new Pig Destroyer all that much. Perhaps it's the impossible weight of expectation, but I've just listened to it, and then gone back and listened to Terrifyer. No comparison, really.

Nothing on the newie sounds quite as deranged and barely under control as something like Lost Cause:

Not heard it yet but picked it up at the show tonight. What a disappointment, the sound was dreadful. Such a shame. I mean I enjoyed it but the expectation of a killer show was undone by the sound. Pissed off.

Was hoping to get to Damnation myself. Doesnt look like its going to happen though, got too much Uni work on at the minute to essentially take a weekend off.

Shame, although the few gigs i've been to recently have been a total let down. Getting too old and grumpy I think!

I'm disappointed in you as well, son. What gigs have been a let-down? Not surprised if they're black metal bands - often very unpredictable (though not as 50/50 amazing/shit as Deftones).

I'm disappointed in you as well, son. What gigs have been a let-down? Not surprised if they're black metal bands - often very unpredictable (though not as 50/50 amazing/shit as Deftones).

Of note:

Forest of Stars / Wodensthrone (Cluny, Newcastle) - Tiny little stage. Tech guy was abysmally shit. Sound was so loud it'd put a Boeing taking off to shame - a total bugbearer of mine. Everything was totally indistinguishable. I wonder if he works at the o2 Academy as well? Hmmm!

Marduk (@ The Well, Leeds) - Too many people for such a small space. A load of death metal dickheads turned up for Immolation and decided to stay; they were being overly rowdy and flinging cans about and fuck knows what else (Doesnt even suit the music ffs!). Marduk wernt bad, but by the time they were on I was too annoyed and in agony with my back/foot (Guess that may of jaded it a bit!). Really annoying as I saw them in Leeds last time at Rio's with Anaal Nathrakh and they were amazingsauce.

It's all I've been to this year, and both have been shite. Which was the reason I stopped going so much in the first place. Last decent gig I went to was Turisas and Cthonic at Northumbria Uni.

And unfortunately aye, I've got work coming out my ears. As it stands my entire weekend is booked up with things-to-do. Doesnt help I've got a Industrial Placement and Internship to sort out and apply for as well (one deadline is Nov 5th so have to do that this weekend too!)

Newcastle has got some ridiculously good gigs coming up because of Bro(UK) Promotions

Aura Noir tomorrow

Angel Witch, Enforcer + Age of Taurus - 7th Nov

Destroyer 666 (!!!!!), Violenter, Vortex + Repulsive Vision - 7th Dec

Cannabis Corpse + Ghoul - 23rd Jan

Deathhammer, Sodomizer, Occvlta - 2nd Feb

:omg:

Hope every one of you fuckers is having a great time at Damnation :coffee:

Damnation, as the previous 2, was amazing. I ended up being rather squiffy and spending far too much on merch but I remember everything up to Electric Wizard :P

Raven's Creed: There's a massive benefit being the first band of the day on, because you don't clash with anyone, so everyone goes "May as well see the first band." The lead singer looked like a tall, wide eyed Mute/Wintermute (depending on which login he uses) and they played thrash with song names like "Stampede of Skeletons". Good start.

Atrocity Exhibit were next and did nothing for me. Then we went to see Witchsorrow and couldn't see fuck all, because the small stage is in the tiniest room in the university and it's a fucking nightmare if you don't get there early enough. Anyway, doom. They were good for what I saw of them but I got sick of not being able to see owt and went to wait for Hang the Bastard, who were really really good despite the front man looking like Meat Loaf, acting like Kermit the Frog and sounding like James Cordon (afore-mentioned Mute tweeted as much, then got retweeted by the band, then got @'d at by followers of the band and went and apologised at the merch stand)

Who was next? Winterfylleth? I met Sexpanda/Creedfangirl/Wu-Tang Dan/Dame_vaako with his lovely friend Alice who told me they were massive racists, which kind of took the shine off it. When I told Twinbee this he said it's more like if the Daily Mail played Black Metal, which isn't much better tbh. They played black metal. I think that's all I can say about it. It was enough to pass the time.

I caught the first minute of Extreme Noise Terror before deeming it bollocks and the bloke at the front was far too old to have quill-pig hair, so me and Donk decided to hit the food stand. Took half an hour to get food (for which I had to pay £6 for a burger which I provided my own Gluten Free bun for but it was SO GOOD) which meant I missed the first 2 songs of Gama Bomb, but they took fucking ages to hit their stride anyway. The singer didn't even try to hit any of the high notes for some reason and they sounded like they were trying to play faster than each other, but they got there in the end. New album is due soonish so they'll be on tour. I ended up talking to the bassist and singer about Cthulhu at the merch stand.

After that I went to see Vreid who were VERY good. Especially at singing songs about sunken battleships. And they had someone who looked like Guile from Street Fighter 2 on guest vocals.

Primordial surprised the shit out of me. Whatever I was expecting it wasn't this groovy, heavy stuff with a bald corpsepainted dude on vocals. Unfortunately I left halfway through to go and watch Aura Noir who play excellent black thrash metal and have a band member that looks like he belongs in Arnocorps.

Then it starts to get hazy. I somehow ended up in the small room with Donk to see Maybeshewill who are one of the best bands I've seen in years, and are consistently so. I think I've seen them 3 times now and they're just so, so fucking good . They deserve to be massive and to be on at least the middle stage next year. Or the year after, but still, they deserve to be HYOOOOOOGE. I ended up buying all 3 CDs and telling the bassist how amazing they were, at length.

That's pretty much the last band I saw. I don't care for Pig Destroyer (who weren't that great and suffered from technical difficulties apparently) and Electric Wizard are the anti-fun when you're pissed up. Mute kept telling me "But...but...the riffs, man!" but all I could hear was plod. I'm sure they're great but not what I wanted from a headliner, especially seeing as last year we had the bonkers amaze of Devin Townsend.

Basically, if you're in this thread, and you have any inclination towards vaguely (and I say vaguely because there's always something for everyone) extreme metal, and are more than happy to see bands you've never heard of, Damnation is one of the best festivals going. It's one day, it's compact, and everybody is fucking lovely.

• Upvote 2

I'm super busy and don't have time to write up a review right now, but suffice to say it was a fantastic day - the best yet from my point of view.

And, contrary to Moose, Extreme Noise Terror were my band of the day (equal first place with Primordial) :D

In other news, this is a good article about that guy who punched Glenn Danzig in the face.

I hate violence, but if you watch the vid (which I'd seen years ago), it's hard to say he didn't have it coming.

• Upvote 2

I'm super busy and don't have time to write up a review right now, but suffice to say it was a fantastic day - the best yet from my point of view.

And, contrary to Moose, Extreme Noise Terror were my band of the day (equal first place with Primordial) :D

In other news, this is a good article about that guy who punched Glenn Danzig in the face.

I hate violence, but if you watch the vid (which I'd seen years ago), it's hard to say he didn't have it coming.

I particularly like the mouthy cow at the back telling him it was a cheap shot, when he got him fair and square.

Are any London types going to see Gojira on Sunday? I will be arriving from the US at 3pm which means I'll be utterly broken before I even get there but fuck it.