The Rllmuk Metal Thread

shirubagan

Rush are pretty much the best thing ever. The last few years I've only really listened to the synthy, textural eighties stuff, which is where most people start bailing out.

(video directed by Jerry Casale from Devo, fact fans)

I was supposed to see them on the current tour but had to pass my ticket on. Stupid work commitments grumble grumble...

Thought Earthtone9 were dead good tonight. Wasn't overly taken by the two supports we saw but didn't think they were bad.

Yep, the guys still had the energy from 10 years back. Love that they played a load of stuff off Arc'Tan'Gent, although I was really hoping for Yellow Fever. I was a bit gutted that they didn't do an encore mind you. OK, I know encores are by their very nature contrived, but after a 10? year hiatus, I think the crowd deserved one. Still, Karl was on good form, good banter with the crowd, etc.

The support before ET9, The Ocean, were really lacklustre yesterday. It's about the sixth time I've seen them and they lost me after the first song, which simply refused to die.

Still, fucking ET9!!!!

I got it and I absolutely love it, but then any Ghibli fan will. The only track on it that is slightly dodgy is the re-do of Gake No Ue No Ponyo, which has a really oddly chosen change-up for the chorus that kind of spoils the entire song. This is fantastic though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXMzFB3pfnU

I honestly, honestly can't tell if that's the worst thing I've ever heard, or utterly brilliant. It's the same emotion I experience when I listen to Dream Theater.

Yep, the guys still had the energy from 10 years back. Love that they played a load of stuff off Arc'Tan'Gent, although I was really hoping for Yellow Fever. I was a bit gutted that they didn't do an encore mind you. OK, I know encores are by their very nature contrived, but after a 10? year hiatus, I think the crowd deserved one. Still, Karl was on good form, good banter with the crowd, etc.

The support before ET9, The Ocean, were really lacklustre yesterday. It's about the sixth time I've seen them and they lost me after the first song, which simply refused to die.

Still, fucking ET9!!!!

Yeah, I felt a bit sorry for The Ocean, I thought they played well enough but it didn't really grab me.

I thought ET9's set was a good selection, I really wanted to see them do Revelation though.

Where is good for music reviews? I would like an opinion on the new Cave In LP that isn't Rocksound or hastily written on an iPad while having a dump.

Ben if you see this where do you look for metal reviews?

Can't wait. I fucking LOVE Arch Enemy.

It's been out there for a bit now, it really isn't very good. Infact the only bit I really like about it is the final acoustic version of Snow Bound, which is lovely... and even then its only on the Japanese version.

Where is good for music reviews? I would like an opinion on the new Cave In LP that isn't Rocksound or hastily written on an iPad while having a dump.

Haha I had no idea you were Dom's brother!

Also no idea where you could get decent reviews of new Cave In. Sorry.

Perhaps this should be added to the first post as the question has come up before a number of times, but sites that do decent reviews of metal albums include:

Metal Review (probably the best metal review site in terms of good writing and coverage, although they do seem to be late with major releases for some reason)

From The Dust Returned (covers new and old releases with regular features, such as reviewing every German thrash album or the current feature focusing on Floridian death metal of the 90s)

The New Review (decent reviews, although with an occasional tendency to be overblown and not particularly critical - see the review of the latest Hate Eternal album for an example)

Sputnik Music (made up of fan contributions as well as regular staff reviews and so the quality can vary a lot, but the staff reviews tend to be very good and since the highest rated review becomes the default review for a particular album they are usually of a decent standard)

Some reviews of the Cave In album from those sites:

http://thenewreview.net/reviews/cave-in-white-silence

http://sputnikmusic.com/review/43576/Cave-In-White-Silence/

EDIT: forgot a couple

Angry Metal Guy (reviews and articles)

Soulkiller(news and reviews)

Perhaps this should be added to the first post as the question has come up before a number of times, but sites that do decent reviews of metal albums include:

Metal Review (probably the best metal review site in terms of good writing and coverage, although they do seem to be late with major releases for some reason)

From The Dust Returned (covers new and old releases with regular features, such as reviewing every German thrash album or the current feature focusing on Floridian death metal of the 90s)

The New Review (decent reviews, although with an occasional tendency to be overblown and not particularly critical - see the review of the latest Hate Eternal album for an example)

Sputnik Music (made up of fan contributions as well as regular staff reviews and so the quality can vary a lot, but the staff reviews tend to be very good and since the highest rated review becomes the default review for a particular album they are usually of a decent standard)

Some reviews of the Cave In album from those sites:

http://thenewreview.net/reviews/cave-in-white-silence

http://sputnikmusic.com/review/43576/Cave-In-White-Silence/

EDIT: forgot a couple

Angry Metal Guy (reviews and articles)

Soulkiller(news and reviews)

Cheers for that dude, some useful stuff there.

I'm so getting the new Cave In; sounds great, although if it comes anywhere near matching Jupiter I'll eat my own face.

Its got one amazing and two ok tracks on it. Job done.

Rush are pretty much the best thing ever. The last few years I've only really listened to the synthy, textural eighties stuff, which is where most people start bailing out.

(video directed by Jerry Casale from Devo, fact fans)

I was supposed to see them on the current tour but had to pass my ticket on. Stupid work commitments grumble grumble...

Having seen them at the O2 last night for the London leg of the Time Machine Tour, and still feeling full of that strange post-gig adrenaline mixed with pining withdrawal symptoms, I am moved to make my first post on Rllmuk! Nice to hear that there are others out there who appriciate the synth driven stuff they produced in the 80s - that's where I bailed in.

I've long known of them since, as a [very amatuer] drummer, you can't help but come across Neil Peart and tracks like YYZ and Spirit of Radio at some point in your education. But three or so years back, I heard Mystic Rhythms for the first time, and that was it. I am normally very fussy about music, cherry picking the tunes from albums which will get played more than once. But never before have I fallen so deeply in love with the sound and style of a band as with Rush. I just know that theirs is music that will resonate with me for the rest of my days, just wish I'd been turned on to them earlier.

Shame you couldn't make the current tour but, with their evergreen attitude to making music they'll surely be coming back again.

The new Turisas one is half good/half bad. Quite enjoy Hunting Pirates. The first album is still great.

Just came back from Liverpool seeing General Surgery. That was fucking boss! But I headbanged as a baldie for the first time and now I'm mad dizzy.

On the off-chance any of you, like me, have been living in denial regarding the new Morbid Angel, Metal Review have two reviews of the "I" album up and they are damning to say the least. If you need evidence, then clips are available on Amazon and on YouTube but to give you a taster, here's one of the comments on those two reviews:

dear Morbid Angel: I'm fairly certain that Metallica weren't making a bet with you when they recorded St.Anger to find out which band could alienate the most fans with a single album.

http://www.metalreview.com/reviews/6246/morbid-angel-illud-divinum-insanus