IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread

shirubagan

OK now I think I'll probably take up the free Poland ticket offer:

Bigfour-pol-550.jpg

Yeah, so three of them are in the UK anyway, and I've seen Metallica twice already, but I still think it justifies a nice little weekend in Warsaw. I've got Glastonbury the week after though so I'm tempted to be one of those cunts who takes a camping chair to a concert.

Saw them in Salford earlier in the week. Was quite pleased with the show as Atilla turned up, complete with fake bird, twigs and big sack to put over his head. The sound is much more dynamic than when I saw them oodles ago in Liverpool where it was basically Anderson and O'Malley. To be truthful, i've not listened to their last album so I don't think this post is much use :blink:

Support act wasn't there, at least I don't think he was so they just played his cd....

I saw them twice at the weekend (playing The GrimmRobes set and the new set) and thought their Monoliths & Dimensions show was incredible, one of the gigs of the year. Atilla wasn't wearing the twig outfit, but instead was hooded with his face completely covered, moving around in the smoke and letting it hang on his costume so it looked like he was on fire or something. He then went off for 10 minutes and came out again with some huge hat, costume and mask on that made him look like some cross between a burns victim and Darth Vader without the mask, then took out his hands which had frickin' lasers on them and blasted them around the crowd and through a crystal skull he was holding whilst all the time chanting and incanting in the most ritualistic way; Anderson, O'Malley & co all the time still blasting out waves of molten drone. I love all their theatrics, and this had it in spades; incredible experience. The crowd went mental at the end.

The use of different instrumentation was interesting too, worked better than I imagined. Could only barely make out the tracks from the album as they were so extended and changed, but definitely the best I've seen them.

On their tour, I think I read their support act was playing from the sound deck and wasn't on stage.

The big four, yet the poster's all like:

"FUCKING METALLICAAAAAA! And don't forget Slayer! Oh... and Megadeth and Anthrax are pretty cool too, I guess. (And if you're really bored, you can always check out Mastodon and Behemoth as well.)"

The thing I took from it was "Slayer are more popular than Megadeth"

I'm a bit surprised about that.

Rust in Peace was awesome. that and Countdown to Extinction are the only Megadeth albums i can listen to these days. all the earlier albums and the gash they have released since sounds so tedious.

Slayer have had the odd blip in quality over the years, but i can still happily listen to any of their albums without getting the "why am i doing this?" train of thought i get when i try one of the non-RiP/CtE Megadeth discs.

You don't rate Endgame then? I have to say its not in the same league as RIP/CtE but its certainly a v good trash album, especially when heard live.

Either way I won't argue Slayer defo the more consistent band of the 2! Still back to the original point, fucking Metallica taking up 1/2 the poster.

World Painted Blood is a shit tonne better than Endgame.

Also Dave Mustaine looks like something from the Dark Crystal. And he's a bellend.

So Slayer win.

@Spain I was replying to bigbrick, but I agree with you 100% Endgame is a better album than Painted Blood, but I was refering to consistency"samey" and Slayer have been when you take into consideration Risk & TWNAH, which persoanaly I didn't like at all.

@Sexpanda, good argument he looks like a cunt so therefore his music is shit :facepalm: . WUT!!!! You can't deny Mustaines musical / playing ability & before you say anything no one is denying Slayers.

@Bigbrick, Recommend you pick up the album, its a good thrash metal album and the more you listen the more you will enjoy.

I think Megadeth are a good band. I wouldn't spend lots to go and see them live and I very infrequently listen to their music, but when I do, I like it. Mustane is a great guitarist too.

Slayer on the other hand, I don't have any time for at all. I don't like their live show and I don't like any of their records. They for me encapsulate the very essence of metal i don't really get, ie sweaty long haired bearded men who stand in a circle together in a rock club rotation headbanging to the same songs they've been listening to since they were 13 while ocassionally shouting "SLAYER!", "METAL!" or "BEER!".

But morons do that with Megadeth too.

Not seen it myself. I'm more than willing to believe it's the case, but Slayer encapsulate it perfectly. They're the soundtrack to that lifestyle.

All this is moot though, I don't like their records which is probably a bigger issue...

I tend to find the more stupid and rubbish an old thrash album is, the more I like it. Helps if the cover is like, I dunno, cyborgs melting in a pool of toxic goo or something. It should never have escaped the 1980s, though.

Oh, and I finally listened to the Astra album. It's pretty good, though the vocals let it down a bit, for me.

Thrash metal is rubbish really. I don't even like Slayer that much anymore to be honest. They're better than megadeth though. I seriously cannot fathom the mind of a man who would sit down and listen to Megadeth for pleasure.

Mustane is/was a great guitar player. Reason enough...

…like, I dunno, cyborgs melting in a pool of toxic goo or something.

:lol: Brilliant!

Oh, and I finally listened to the Astra album. It's pretty good, though the vocals let it down a bit, for me.

Coincidentally, the instrumental central track is the album's outstanding moment. Like recent Zombi jamming the theme to Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. For 17 minutes.