JFK

Ikaruga

No, I'm not fussed about completing it, if there were unlimited levels I would play forever. I enjoy blowing things up, but I'm bored of keep restarting and only being able to play the same bits, would like to see more of the game.

The more hours of play you put in the higher the number of credits you are allowed until you eventually get infinite credits. This was true for the Jap version anyway.

I think you can play trial mode and sellotape down start or something to get hours, but if not you have to actually spend those 7 hours playing the game. Sitting in a menu doesnt count.

Since you are having to repeat levels over and over because you are dying maybe you should start trying to chain some of the enemies to pass the time :D.

If you want to play with more lives you can turn it upto 5 in the options as well as extend every 2 million.

Thanks for some more helpful replies.

Does that mean 7 hours of play in one sitting, and does that save so next time I switch on its still unlimited, or do I have to play for 7 hours each time I want free credits?

There is an auto save feature. If you play the main game it will autosave for you each time you run out of credits.

If you go into the save menu it tells you how long you have been playing for even.

Does that mean 7 hours of play in one sitting, and does that save so next time I switch on its still unlimited, or do I have to play for 7 hours each time I want free credits?

I believe the game saves your playtime, so you should always get infinite credits when you save after 7 hours. But it really, really defies the point of playing the game. Shmups are about natural progression of your skills to get yourself further and further each time.

I believe the game saves your playtime, so you should always get infinite credits when you save after 7 hours. But it really, really defies the point of playing the game. Shmups are about natural progression of your skills to get yourself further and further each time.

Yeh, I know :D, but I dont usually play them, and I've only borrowed it off of Wahwah* for a while, so I just wanted to play it a little more. No doubt I will get better and eventually come back to it and play it properly.

Anyway, I am correct in thinking that it was an arcade game before it hit the DC, which surely means that I could have as many credits as I wanted, providing I had enough change.

Yes 7 hours in one sitting. Get to it.

gamesmaster.jpg

To reward yourself with infinite credits on this particular title, simply hold down A at the title screen and then press down, up, left, left, right, B and start. Lo and behold, you should now find yourself with infinite credits, so even the likes of you can complete this mighty game.

Who's next?

• Upvote 1

I think everyone should stop this giving the guy a hard time and "rolling their eyes" at the way he wants to play the game.

It's his choice, and he wants to experience it his way! Is it not better that he plays the game / tries the game, and perhaps after a while understands it a bit better, than discarding it because it's 2d/is a shoot em up?

Fair play to you mate, don't listen to the obvious monkeys throwing bananas!

Such Elitist attitudes :D

Anyway, I am correct in thinking that it was an arcade game before it hit the DC, which surely means that I could have as many credits as I wanted, providing I had enough change.

yeah but most arcade games reset your score to 0 on a continue so you have little chance of getting on the high score board which is the whole point :D

To reward yourself with infinite credits on this particular title, simply hold down A at the title screen and then press down, up, left, left, right, B and start. Lo and behold, you should now find yourself with infinite credits, so even the likes of you can complete this mighty game.

Who's next?

I do hope you are speaking the truth, and not just yanking my chain. I only ask as no one else seemed to know this. Either way, still made me laugh. :D

I think everyone should stop this giving the guy a hard time and "rolling their eyes" at the way he wants to play the game.

It's his choice, and he wants to experience it his way! Is it not better that he plays the game / tries the game, and perhaps after a while understands it a bit better, than discarding it because it's 2d/is a shoot em up?

Cheers man, I'm glad you understand. My plan is not to cheat my way through it and go "Oooh, I finished Ikaruga, better add that to my list." But to experience a different type of game to what I usually play in the hope of finding a new genre to enjoy and be good at.

I can fully understand why he wants to play the game that way, Ikaruga pisses me off. I just think that playing it with limited credits from the offset will set you in better stead for doing the game, lest you fall prey to the "I've seen all the game so I don't need to do it with limited credits anymore" attitude.

Ook! *throws banana*

Such Elitist attitudes <_<

0/\0

We can't all be any good at these "shmup" things.

I'm fucking rubbish at them but I enjoy playing them every now and then.

Cheers man, I'm glad you understand. My plan is not to cheat my way through it and go "Oooh, I finished Ikaruga, better add that to my list." But to experience a different type of game to what I usually play in the hope of finding a new genre to enjoy and be good at.

Ah, you posted that while I was posting. Fair do's if its your first shooter, but bear in mind that you need the patience to see a lot of the initial levels before you can do the game well.

Ooh, look at me talking like I can play a good shooter! :P

It's a genre I'm still working at as well, but I'm pleased to report my hard graft is starting to pay off. <_<

I can fully understand why he wants to play the game that way, Ikaruga pisses me off. I just think that playing it with limited credits from the offset will set you in better stead for doing the game, lest you fall prey to the "I've seen all the game so I don't need to do it with limited credits anymore" attitude.

Ook! *throws banana*

I played it normally for a few hours last night, I may have neglected to mention that it was me and my housemate playing, so the credits were getting used up double time, so we just wanted to have a laugh and play to the end. When I know what the idea is, I will come back to it on my own.

Such Elitist attitudes <_<

I just wouldn't see the point in 'completing it for the sake of it' (as what I thought it was). I can only get to the third boss, but that's too fucking hard and then I usually give up. And then I think 'if I had some sort of skip to level 4, I know I'd just keep dying or something. I need to gets better.

My interpretation is usually wrong, though.

Wyrmling, I agree. But you have to admit that doing it the other way (replaying the game until you finish it the proper way), is MUCH more satisfying.

I mean, that's videogaming. Remembering where the enemies spawn, using the boss' pattern against him, carefully chosing when to use what powerup. Last week I decided to play gradius Advance again, and I was hooked again! Why? because it forced me to play like I played games when I was a kid. When I played Contra for the first time, and it made short work of me.

But then, a month later... I totally pwnd that game. Why? Not by cheating. And I truly felt like a winner. That's when one truly plays a game. When he understands the game, and beats it after hard work and some learning.

i love Ikaruga because you don't see that kind of games a lot anymore. Games like Ikaruga and VJ are rare. it's like playing Halo on legendary.

• Upvote 1

I just wouldn't see the point in 'completing it for the sake of it' (as what I thought it was). I can only get to the third boss, but that's too fucking hard and then I usually give up. And then I think 'if I had some sort of skip to level 4, I know I'd just keep dying or something. I need to gets better.

My interpretation is usually wrong, though.

Good old opinions eh? <_<

There is an auto save feature. If you play the main game it will autosave for you each time you run out of credits.

If you go into the save menu it tells you how long you have been playing for even. 

Just saw your CH.5 run through courtesy of the lovely archive.org

Must say, fantastic skills, loved the bullet sweeping at the end boss... and your chaining skills are admirable to the highest degree.

Top job!

Makes me want to play Ikaruga again, even though I never really got into it... plus I can't really pop my TV on its side anymore (no longer a big square boxy TV, instead I have one with curves)

Is right.

And as for this seven hour threshold, I think this is a great idea.

I hate not having access to later levels in games just cos I haven't got infinite time to hone my skills. Or maybe because I'm just not skilled enough. All games should offer some way of accessing everything you've paid for and this time based method (providing it's a reasonable and achievable time) sounds ideal. If you put in seven hours at least you've tried.