rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Calashnikov

Tiger Uppercut!

My son is now 4 1/2 and I've started him playing 3rd Strike. He's using a pad at the moment because that's what he's used to, but I'll get him on the stick in a week or two.

He can actually beat me, but I think that's because he can mash buttons faster than I can get proper moves out.

Next stop, SFII HD.

I can just see it right now, Tyagi's house, July 2018.

"You listen here son, while in my house you live by my rules!"

"But I WANT to play Mortal Kombat!"

"No! We play Street Fighter in this house!"

"That is SO UNFAIR!"

Honestly, this thread is responsible for keeping fighting games on my radar during university, and making sure I kept an eye out once SFIV was announced (I thought it looked terrible and that Smash Bros was way better, haha). Then I dipped back in, saw that people were enjoying it, noticed Excellent Adventures, and all that eventually led to me buying AE and a stick...

Too true; when this thread started out SFIII was still an unknown to me and I was busy waxing nostalgic about the SFII series when TheShend and grav0 and will came along and said "Play Third Strike. It's a good game.", so I spent the rest of the last gen failing at 3S and not playing other games. :wub:

I still haven't followed their advice about getting a stick though :(

On 8/17/2013 at 07:53, Qazimod said:

Too true; when this thread started out SFIII was still an unknown to me and I was busy waxing nostalgic about the SFII series when TheShend and grav0 and will came along and said "Play Third Strike. It's a good game.", so I spent the rest of the last gen failing at 3S and not playing other games. :wub:

I still haven't followed their advice about getting a stick though :(

Gotta love this site: http://playthirdstrike.com/

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Nick R said:

There's a Capcom sale on the Xbox marketplace at the moment, which means SFIII and Super SF2 Turbo HD Remix are currently about £2.50 each.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/promotions/sales/capcom-sale

Hopped onto the 360 last night because of this, played SF4 for a couple hours, still people around but usually too good for me!

Didn't know they bothered re-releasing Darkstalkers! SF x T is the main one I don't have otherwise, tempting.

Not the place to ask but I couldn't see a way to transfer all the HDD saves to Cloud. One of the annoyances when I've played retro stuff on Xbone.

SFxT is good but hardly anyone plays it (online or off), and so the game will be pretty much impossible to learn at this stage if you want to compete online. As a single player game - or for multiplayer with friends - it's pretty excellent, though. There's lots to do in training mode and decent challenges/arcade, and a great mix of characters and playstyles. Plus it has the hype meter on the replay viewer, which should really have been a mandatory addition to every fighting game released since.

In local multiplayer with a teammate it really shines, and you can do all sorts on nonsense with cross assault. Ahhhh the memories.

Spoiler

The DLC characters (all 12 in one pack) are the only DLC you would want to get unless you're a costume monster.

• Upvote 2

There's also a Capcom sale on Steam but it appears SF4 isn't included, and obviously all the "online edition" style re-releases didn't come out on Steam.

SFxT complete pack is £7.79 on Steam this weekend at least (game without dlc is £4.59) - despite complaints on the forums/steam reviews page it does work, but there are a few gotchas you might need to deal with on a new installation. Here's what I wrote on the Steam forums for someone who was struggling with it immediately after I had worked through a fresh installation:

Everything "works", with a few qualifications:

- There's a common bug that causes the game to crash at launch, possibly caused by the old GFWL client packaged with the game. Uninstall all GFWL software from your PC and re-download it directly from Microsoft after you complete the SFxT installation.

- There's an occasional bug in GFWL which causes the program to fail to download your GFWL profile. Quitting and reloading, or restarting your PC, will usually fix this. You only have to download your profile the first time you play so it's not a constant irritation.

- The game is apparently only capable of loading 32 DLC packs at one time, which is fewer than exist in the "complete" edition of the game, and which can lead to the DLC characters not being available despite being owned. To work around this, deselect any of the DLC packs that aren't of interest to you, for example gem or quick combo packs, so that you have a maximum of 32 selected when you launch the game - this way you'll definitely load the DLC characters.

- There's a rare bug with connecting to online play which can say something like "your GFWL profile is not authorised to access this..." but this can be worked around by quitting the game, signing out of GFWL and signing back in. In my case I had to sign in with a different profile to force the game to prompt me again for the CD key (which was then refused for that profile), before I could sign in again on my real account and re-enter the CD key, after which the online play worked fine.

There are probably others but those are the ones I've seen, all of which can happily be ignored once you've fixed them the first time. Those things aside, online play works (but you'll probably have to arrange to play with someone as there are very few active players), DLC characters work (as long as you've not selected more than 32 DLC packs to activate, and the game generally works (as long as you install and connect to GFWL successfully).

The dlc pack limit thing is particularly funny in a game explicitly designed around selling you as many dlc packs as possible.

It goes without saying that if anyone does pick it up then I'll happily play online with you despite the reportedly terrible PC netcode. I'm around most evenings before 10, but not always on Steam so you'll have to hunt me down.

Mmm. I'm rubbish at 3s. Maybe I shouldn't play the guy who has a 3s channel...

Garou?