rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Calashnikov

Tiger Uppercut!

I'm been playing Third Strike online with a decent stick.

:unsure:

I think there's a direct line from my weekend rediscovery of 3S to my being so underwhelmed by God of War II which feels almost like Dragon's Lair. Every single button press in 3S has a meaning, every little flick of the stick in any direction can change the direction of a round, of a match. And the standard online is so high having only ever really played against the AI before that it's like learning a whole new game.

Had some nice games with qazimod over the weekend - cheers fella. Apologies to you and everyone else I'm likely to play for sticking with Ken, but he's the only one I have a chance with at the moment.

Best fucking game fucking ever. ^_^

Man, do I ever want this game. I can't stop watching videos of it even though I've never played it, which is just daft.

And the standard online is so high having only ever really played against the AI before that it's like learning a whole new game.

No shit :unsure: I'm getting my anus kicked online.

(that said, I've never been a good 3S-player. I still play it like some kind of Street Fighter Alpha-game, ffs.)

It's awesome, but I can't play this as much as Guilty Gear, KOF or SFII. I don't know why, but I can't do more than ten matches in a row of this.

And the standard online is so high having only ever really played against the AI before that it's like learning a whole new game.

You are me aicm £5. Like I've said, this is my first Live endeavour and I don't have any arcades nearby, so it's a really exciting experience for me.

Had some nice games with qazimod over the weekend - cheers fella. Apologies to you and everyone else I'm likely to play for sticking with Ken, but he's the only one I have a chance with at the moment.

Best fucking game fucking ever. ^_^

Cheers dude, I had great fun too. I think it's good that I'm being forced to play against more high-tier chars, not least because when I first bought the game I found it hard to break the habit of going through single-player picking the easiest of the two opponents presented to me at each stage. :unsure: I snapped out of it eventually, but the human element is now making things interesting again...

So I got my 360 up and running, and the first thing I did was stick 3rd Strike in to make sure it worked. It did the update thing and worked very quickly (720p/50Hz using component) but the pad kind of sucks for it, no?

So yeah, gamertag is Gwynster. Come say Hi to my Remy sometime! I will be adding Gazimod and VeloS myself, but any of you lot are welcome to take a pop. I reserve the right to blame losing on the pad being 'wrong' though.

So I got my 360 up and running, and the first thing I did was stick 3rd Strike in to make sure it worked. It did the update thing and worked very quickly (720p/50Hz using component) but the pad kind of sucks for it, no?

So yeah, gamertag is Gwynster. Come say Hi to my Remy sometime! I will be adding Gazimod and VeloS myself, but any of you lot are welcome to take a pop. I reserve the right to blame losing on the pad being 'wrong' though.

Added you, although I am awful. For which I shall blame the pad too :(

Right, I've just sent out friend requests to a couple of people in this thread.

I'm utterly, utterly shit at this game (but I can still appreciate how brilliant it is). I've never won a game online and doubt I ever will. My wizened, aged, claw-like hands are well past the age at which I'll ever be good at this. However:

I'LL TAKE YOU ALL ON!!!!!!

Need to be on LIVE, NEED! >_<

Sort it out! Have you got a 360? Sure someone here'll have a free trial doo-dah.

Had some cracking games on this last night - I find I'm getting battered for the first couple of matches and then coming back into it once I start to work out the way people play, the combos they like, the moves they go for on wakeup, etc, and then start winning a few. I still can't deal with Genei Jin though, as my first instinct is to back away while the meter runs down and then I find myself being juggled to buggery in the corner, so any tips on that would be great.

There's definitely a small input delay most of the time which has knocked my parry game flat - indeed, there doesn't seem to be much parrying online at all.

Added you last night, sith.

I had a go at SFIIHF last night online - there was some pretty annoying lag and the 360 pad is well bent if you try to play as someone with charge moves (Honda, Blanka, Guile etc) as you'll find yourself jumping all over the place more often than not.

I lost a round to Ken (surprise!) as Blanka and then managed to win the next, but in round 3 he just threw fireballs and relied on the lag to bait & switch to a dragon punch. It was a small mercy that he wasn't taunting me on the mic, I suppose, but it left a bitter taste.

I washed that taste away with some midnight GoW later though, having managed to find some people playing who were a) noob-friendly and b) not american. Rather nice, it was!

Nate and gazimod

Add me

Likewise. It's been a while since I've played SF in any form, but I'm sure I could learn a thing or two in the course of being destroyed by you good folks.

The 360 d-pad makes me very sad though.

I'm on the original xbox boys, I have to call MS up to buy a 12 mnth LIVE subscription as the none of the 360 one's work on the old xbox.

Just need the pennies, it'll happen, but.the.wait!

Went on Live after the football last night, all depressed and full of beer and needing to hit something.

Started badly against a Chun Li player who stood at the back of the screen for a second, as did I. He started a taunt just as I super-jumped in to him, jumping fierce into crouching medium kick, cancelled into fireball super cancelled into Shippu and as the first hit of the Shippu connected the fucker disconnected! Only time I pulled the super cancel off all night as well. I was fuming.

Next up I'm challenged by an S rank. I poop my pants a bit as he picks Akuma and in the first round parries off every hit of an EX air tatsu and lays a bit of a beating on me. I absolutely beasted him in the other two rounds, winning the final two blocked fireballs away from a perfect. :ph34r:

I don't know if I've mentioned it but this really is the best fucking game fucking ever.

If I can't be on LIVE then i'll do what I can.

Super Battle Opera 5 Arcade Qualifiers gentlemen.

Arcade: GAME41

Arcade: Gamers Vision

After a few days I'm starting to realise how annoying this can be online. Not annoying enough to stop me playing, mind, but annoying nonetheless.

There's a tiny, tiny input delay 80% of the time which is easy enough to compensate for until it comes to parrying. Which makes the deluge of Denjin-abusing Ryu players an enormous bastard to deal with. Makoto's an enormous pain too but I think that's my fault rather than the lag.

There's far too many people that quit out after one or two losses because they're bothered about their win/loss record. If I'm up against someone on a low rank who I'm beating comprehensively then fine, but when you start getting S, A and B ranks quitting after two narrow defeats it's a bit annoying. If there is a bright side to the delay it's the comparitive lack of Genei-Jin abusers. Presume the timing has to be bang on for it to be effective, I dunno.

But when it's good it's still the best fucking game fucking ever. :wub: Came up against a cracking couple of Hugo players last night, occasionally I get a good Alex and once in a blue moon someone Remys me into submission. Finally sussing their game out after five or six matches and grinding out a win is probably the best feeling to be had on XBL, imo.

After a few days I'm starting to realise how annoying this can be online. Not annoying enough to stop me playing, mind, but annoying nonetheless.

There's a tiny, tiny input delay 80% of the time which is easy enough to compensate for until it comes to parrying. Which makes the deluge of Denjin-abusing Ryu players an enormous bastard to deal with. Makoto's an enormous pain too but I think that's my fault rather than the lag.

There's far too many people that quit out after one or two losses because they're bothered about their win/loss record. If I'm up against someone on a low rank who I'm beating comprehensively then fine, but when you start getting S, A and B ranks quitting after two narrow defeats it's a bit annoying. If there is a bright side to the delay it's the comparitive lack of Genei-Jin abusers. Presume the timing has to be bang on for it to be effective, I dunno.

But when it's good it's still the best fucking game fucking ever. :lol: Came up against a cracking couple of Hugo players last night, occasionally I get a good Alex and once in a blue moon someone Remys me into submission. Finally sussing their game out after five or six matches and grinding out a win is probably the best feeling to be had on XBL, imo.

Nate dude, do you use the 360 pad or do you know where to buy an arcade stick from?

I'm all at sea now that Lik-Sang has gone, and I'm so crap at using the pad that I can't even face the thought of going online. Halp!

Nate dude, do you use the 360 pad or do you know where to buy an arcade stick from?

I'm all at sea now that Lik-Sang has gone, and I'm so crap at using the pad that I can't even face the thought of going online. Halp!

I think I answered this in the online folder. :lol: I got it from superufo: http://superufo.com/product_html/Xbox360_D...4_Joystick.html

With UPS delivery it's just over $100 - was going to just get it airmailed but there's only a few quid in it. Ordered Monday, was in my hands on the Friday. With current exchange rates it's about £55, and the one I was watching on ebay last week went for £65 including postage IIRC so it's not bad. Customs got their hands on it though and I had to pay £25 on delivery. :( But still, having tried using the pad, it's worth every penny.

Was reading the SRK forums yesterday - god, what a horrible place, by the way - and seems there's a way to mod any stick by hacking a wired 360 pad, though I'm sure that's too difficult for an eejit like me.

Had a few more online games last night, great fun. Although I always feel compelled to show off my Raging Demon madskillz, only to see my opponent nonchalantly jump over Akuma as he comes toward them, wasting my super. :lol:

I have a bad habit of over-using the raging dragon even though i very rarely succeed.

Also, I have a bad habit of not having Xbox live and being jealous.

I think the only time it's sensible to use Raging Demon is kara'd or when the opponent is jumping in (invincibility frames evade any flying attack, should they be doing one, and they'll be grabbed straight after they land).

Unless you are absolutely, 150% certain that your opponent is about to throw a move which the invincibilty frames of the Demon will cause not to hit and you'll then connect with it, that is.

TBH I only do it to show off to people who think I'm using a stick.

Sensible? Moi? :rolleyes:

Jeez I am rusty but the parrying is coming back!

I totally forgot how utterly amazing 3rd strike is!!

Makes me want to get the dc stick an all out!

I've heard that Dudley is based/inspired on Andy Hug, a kyokushin karate black belt and k-1 grand champ.

275974967_5031646bcd_m.jpg

o_0

I can see Dudley there, but they've obviously changed alot as well, different fighting style for one.

Here's a video of his career highlights, first image of the guy with blue bloves, facial expression and moustache resembles the Dudley we know.

Andy Hug though, beast. Wouldn't mind seeing a more truer version of him in something like 3rd Strike :wub:

Just a small ramble but I like ineresting wee 3rd Strike diversions.

P.S. Andy Hug died in 2000 through Leukemia but there's an official website on the man.

I've heard that Dudley is based/inspired on Andy Hug, a kyokushin karate black belt and k-1 grand champ.

Seriously? I thought that it was meant to be old Chris Eubank. Wealthy, upper-class black British boxer with funny accent? Who else?