rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
kthxbliz

January '05 Hip-hop Recommendations

It's the 2nd of January and still no hip-hop recommendations thread, so here it is. Why's there been no thread yet? Well either everyone's still hung over from all the NYE drinking or, well, january is a slow month for hip-hop. Probably a bit of both.

This Month's Highlights

565289m.jpg

Ol' Dirty Bastard - Osirus (the Official Mixtape)

Date: 24.01.05

1. Rahzel Intro

2. Pop Shots-Wu-Tang

3. Go Go Go

4. F*ck Y'all

5. Out Of Control

6. Stand Up

7. Run Dirty Run

8. Who Can Make It Happen Like Dirt?

9. High In The Clouds-Feat. Inspektah Deck

10. Fire

11. P*ssy Keep Calling

12. Down South-Feat. Killer Mike

13. Untitled

14. Caked Up-Feat. Baby Sham

15. If Y'all Want War-Feat. Ghostface & Royal Flush

16. Rahzel Skit

17. Move Back-Feat. Drag-On, Jae Mills, Cardan & The Lenox Ave. Boys (bonus cut)

ODB's first post-humous album is a release of an official mix-tape on the new record label Jarred Cherry.

JC Records plans another album release in March featuring artists associated with ODB, and there are other projects in the works. "Dirty's legacy will continue though this album, his music, his DVD and his clothing line for all eternity," apparantly.

ODB had also been working on his debut album for Roc-A-Fella Records; which is still due for release some time this year.

Link.

Besides this there's not much to go on this month. Even though I largely ignore most of Eminem and D12's output nowadays, this has caught my attention:

560387m.jpg

Proof (aka Derty Harry Of D12) - I Miss The Hip Hop Shop

Date: 10.01.05

1. Intro

2. E And 1 Equel None-Prod. Kareem Riggins

3. Yzark

4. Derty Harry

5. People Hi For Change-Prod. Amp Fiddler

6. Neil Armstrong

7. Broken-Feat. Journalist & MU `

8. Shake Dat Donkey

9. Runnin Yo Mouth-Feat. T-Flame & Fatt Father

10. Skit - Dolo Speaks 2

11. Know Ya Name-Feat. 1st Born

12. Play With Myself-Prod. DJ Premier

13. You Know How 2-Feat. Famous

14. It's Ain't About Tha

15. Cross Tha Line-Prod. Reef

16. Bring It 2 Me-Feat. Killa Khann, Prod. Jay Dee

17. Ja In A Bra

18. Nowhere Fast-Feat. Dogmatic

19. Love Letters

What's gotten my attention is the fact that there's no mention of any other members of D12 there at all. For me, Proof was always the second best rapper D12 had to offer so this might manage to stray far enough from the usual crap to have at least something to offer. Track 12 caught my eye as well. Might be worth checking out as Janary is looking like a quiet month.

Also...

Masta Killa - No Said Date

Date: 10.01.05

1. Born Chamber (Intro)

2. Grab The Microphone

3. No Said Date

4. Last Drink

5. Love Spell

6. The Future (Skit)

7. D.T.D

8. Whatever

9. Secret Rivals

10. Skit

11. Digi Warfare

12. Old Man

13. Queen

14. School

15. Silverbacks

16. Masta Killa

The UK release of Masta Killa's album.

The Sales

Since it's a bit of a quiet month I've included a few links to some nice cheap CDs at Amazon.co.uk which could help make a quiet month more enjoyable, and at a post-Christmas wallet friendly price. There's no excuse for not owning some of this stuff I'm sure it will be agreed.

NWA - Straight Outta Compton: £4.97

Wu -Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers): £5.97

Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt: £5.97

Nas - Illmatic: £5.97

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx: £5.97

Arsonists - As the World Burns: £4.97

Arsonists - Date of Birth: £4.97

GZA - Liquid Swords: £6.97

...And more, here

Essentials

Previous editions

December 04

November 04

October 04

September 04

August 04

July 04

June 04

May 04

April 04

March 04

February 04

January 04

December Part 2 03

December Part 1 03

November 03

October 03

The thread that started it all

Links

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/ *NEW*

Four Elements (old-skool videos) *NEW*

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.digitalgravel.com

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

It's amazing to see names such as Premier, Reef, JayDee and Amp Fiddler propping up the credits on Proof's album. I'm sure my Shady Aftermath adoring bitch flatmate will snap this up at some point. I'll give it a listen, for sure. It sounds a far more interesting concept than anything else we've seen from D-12 (although their Alchemist produced track from Tony Touch's Piecemaker album was pretty good, too).

Happy new year peeps. I spent mine down in the deep dark depths of Swansea with my man Daimond D and his resident DJs from Funkified; 5 Styles and Audio Snax. Damn wicked night, drinking staroprammen all the way.!! :D

I do believe I had alcohol poisoning yesterday though! :(

Right Santa brought me a few CDs for christmas. Firstly was P-Money's new one Magic City. Pretty commercial new zealand hip-hop with plenty of Scribe on it and many emcee guests such as Scribe, Mystro and Con Psy. Roc Raida is also on it! :D Sounds pretty good from first listen. Secondly is another New Zealand group called Footsouljahs. I was expecting big things from this but so far haven't been impressed. Hoping it grows on me. Im also still waiting for a Cd that my parents were buying me but it still ain't turned up. Not sure what it is so fingers crossed its good.!

I bought The Roots - Tipping Point for my girlfriend and all i can say is its fucking ace! loving it. She might be hard pressed to get it back off me! :lol:

Managed to pick Redman's Whut Thee Album? up in the sales. As i've said before i'm loving this and can't believe its 13years old!!!

Will be spending much of my christmas cash on albums this month as there has been so much good uk and american shit coming out recently I still haven't picked up.

By the way, quality artwork on that Proof album! Can't imagine the content will be as good. :(

Been listening to those two Life tracks you posted last month Chewy and they're fucking ace. I'll be picking that CD up as soon as my wallet can take the hit.

I also really like Phi Life Cypher - Millenium Metaphors, so my post-Xmas spending splurge included ordering this from Amazon.co.uk.

I also bought Date of Birth in the Amazon.co.uk sale, at £5 I couldn't say no. I've got As the World Burns, which being honest doesn't gel too well as an album but has some really cracking tracks on it. Could've done with being a bit shorter and with less filler.

The same order included The Last Emperor's album, which again I couldn't resist after hearing Secret Wars. I know Ben said that the rest of his stuff doesn't live up to this, but I'm too intriuged not to check it out.

The last CD in my spending spree (but the only one to arrive) was Cappo - Spaz the World, after Das's recommendation. I've only listened to it twice but it's not the revelation I was expecting. A few of the tracks sound quite decent but overall I feel a bit underwhelmed, so far.

The Perceptionists (Mr Lif and friends) album on Def Jux is dope. Lots of sparse break beats.

The chopped and screwed version of UGK's greatest hits was out late December and is great.

Cappo needs to get a new rap voice - tight P Brothers beats but he's just too anonymous.

Might be worth mentioning that No Said Date is already available via. iTunes. I've ordered ODB's mixtape.

:lol:

I bought it in HMV on the day of release last summer.

You sure that was just the US version?

They're just re-releasing it to give it another promotional push. They do it with all the Nature Sounds stuff (RA's album was officially out last November but will be 'released' again at the end of Jan 2005).

I may be going down to London to see De La Soul on March 18th.

Official Hip-Hop Meet?  :D

I noticed this gig. I'd be up for it if I'm not too busy then. I'm sure it wont matter if they say "Hello England!" to the crowd, unlike their last Glasgow gig :)

I noticed Slick Rick plays the Jazz Cafe in the same month (I think). That'd be a great show.

Today I bought a copy of 'Z-Trip Live in Los Angeles 2003' for £7. I assume it's a bootleg of sorts, but it's ridiculous fun. Z-Trip is the ultimate party rocker. Probably the most entertaining straight-drunk b-boy meets mosher type of shit I've ever had the pleasure to flip out to live. If he ever comes to your town, be sure to check him out.

I bought GangStarr's full clip massive compilation double cd for £6 in hmv. I then saw in fopp for £5. HMV are con artists ;)

£6 is a still a bargain for what is imho about the greatest collection of hiphop from a single artist you can get.

OK, so we don't particularly like Guru. His problem isn't so much that he's shit. He's just dull. His lyrics aren't so bad. They're nice and conscious. It's just that delivery. It's just so bland. It makes me want to cry. Why does Guru get to be Premier's long term recording partner? Jeru and KRS all sound incredible over his stuff. I want Preemo to get all super crew with some legends. Whatever happened to the rumoured Chuck D/KRS One/Preemo album? ;)

OK, so we don't particularly like Guru. His problem isn't so much that he's shit. He's just dull. His lyrics aren't so bad. They're nice and conscious. It's just that delivery. It's just so bland. It makes me want to cry. Why does Guru get to be Premier's long term recording partner? Jeru and KRS all sound incredible over his stuff. I want Preemo to get all super crew with some legends. Whatever happened to the rumoured Chuck D/KRS One/Preemo album? ;)

It lives on in my dreams

Did anyone ever hear the 'Batman & Robin' track that Premier made for Snoop's last album? I picked the album up real cheap yesterday, and the track is loltastic.

Go get The Riddler, now watch me play that nigga like a fiddler.

Hi Guys,

Long-time reader first-time poster. Anybody got any ideas whether this 'The Game' guy who is coming out of Aftermath is any good? All i'm hearing is the usually bollox about that he used to sell crack and that he got shot and stabbed. Deja vu anyone?

This is probably just 'Fiddy' all over again but who knows eh????

Also, any love for the new Roots Manuva album?