IGNORED

The Best Band Of All Time For This Week Is...

cyd charisse

I know they're not literally the greatest band of all time, but I was lent their most recent album last week, and, after being irritated whenever I hear My Favourite Game (almost certainly My Least Favourite Cardigans Track), I did realise that they create perfect pop but still manage to offer a subtle depth, often of the weird and/or morose kind. So I bought their back catalogue in the January sales, and Gran Turismo (barring the aformetioned track) is outrageously good, and every album is worth a minimum of 4 stars. And is there a better chorus than Erase/Rewind's? I can't hear one at the moment.

It helps no end that they have the lead singer who I would most like to do the sex with too.

Their most recent album Long Gone Before Daylight is easily their best but sold roughly 10 copies which is a shame. They ditched the cold sound of gran Turismo for a much more earthy band sound, plus their singer is one of the few female vocalists I can tolerate.

"Life" - the comilation of their first two slightly obscure albums - is one of my favourite records ever. "Sick And Tired" is a stone cold classic pop tune, as good as anything (for instance) St Etienne ever did. Plus, Nina is (was) twice as fit as Cracknell. (See video of "Carnival" for proof).

I didn't even know they'd released a new record, so cheers for the tiipoff.

Actually Life was their second album in Sweden, but the UK version swapped some songs off with songs off their first album because it hadn't been released at the time.

Whoever decided to make the song changes was a genius because Life (UK) faaar exceeds anything they'd do after. Nina's voice + great tunes + spiky guitars = genius.

The fact that so many people haven't heard Life makes it a bit of a cult classic... I'm sure its appreciation will rise in time.

They ditched the cold sound of gran Turismo

Gran Turismo is the only album I've ever listened to while playing a game at the same time. I played through a fair chunk of Metal Gear Solid listening to it, and it felt strangely natural. The cold, sombre tone really worked well with the bue, hazy and equally cold MGS.

I liked Gran Turismo, but it didn't compell me to search out thier other stuff. I have friends who will buy an album, like it, then within a week buy everything else that artist has done, but if I'm to do that, it has to be one phenomenally good album.

I also love the fact that they are Sabbath fans. Is there a Sabs tribute on the last album? Not got it.

Dunno about that, but there's Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, which was the b-side for "Rise and Shine" - a 15 minute long dinnerjazz style instrumental piano medley of all the tracks off "Life". It doesn't quite rock, but it is very good.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is also the last song on Life.  Personally, I think it's a superlative cover.

Gah. Dozy me. The B-side is called Cocktail Party Bloody Cocktail Party. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was what I meant, but my eagerness to illustrate my knowledge of obscure jazzbo b-sides means I end up looking like a prannet. Wah.

Saw them live when they were touring First Band On The Moon. They absolutely rocked live. Literally, like a heavy rock band. All black t-shirts, feet on amps, heavy distortion, then Nina lit up like a fucking vision of beauty with her... grrrrrrrrr... getting horny now.

Sick & Tired would make a great metal cover.

Life: superb guitars; such a lovely sound, with a strong jazz feel. It makes me all tingly.

Nina: just makes me all tingly. Was 4 feet away from her guest singing in a tent in Glasto 03. She had leather pants on. That is all.

American Pants or British Pants.

If British, good work that man.

• 9 months later...

Anyone get Super Extra Gravity today? To be lazy, it is pretty much halfway between Gran Turismo's icy production and LGBD's countryish stuff. Obviously it is great.

Dunno about Super Extra Gravity... seems a bit dull.  Only listened to it once though.  LGBD was a pretty slow burner though.

Nina Persson's voice seems to get better with age though.  She needs to do a Dusty In Memphis kinda record.

Looks like it's turned out to be another slow burner.

I also thought it sounded a bit dull on the first couple of listens but it's blossomed nicely now.

Particularly like 'Holy Love' and 'And then you kissed me Part 2'.

Well done again The Cardigans.