IGNORED

The Simpsons Christmas Message

cyd charisse

What was it, exactly? I watched it at 3pm yesterday, hoping it would be the highlight of the Christmas TV schedule. It wasn't. I watched one of the many repeats Channel 4 showed throughout yesterday, expecting I'd be able to enjoy it more, having lowered my expectations. No, it was still rubbish.

After some of the new episodes resulted in a backlash against the backlash, and people admitting that The Simpsons was still 'quite good', this was rubbish, even worse than the Queen's. And I can't for the life of me decipher what the message was. Something about the writers taking the piss out of Britain, and Homer pointing out that if you have two grandfathers they must be gay.

They might very well enjoy taking the piss out of Britain, but they might have wanted to do it when Ricky Gervais hasn't just been drafted in by the producers to inject some life back into the show.

Really, in terms of festive disappointments, this was up there with opening a present to find a pair of grey socks from Tesco.

It must have cost them a fortune if they had to show it so many times.

But it was ultimately very flaccid, very forced, with the only particularly entertaining spot being the "Two grandfathers? they're GAY?" bit.

But still, props to Channel 4 for making the exact same mistakes with The Simpsons as the BBC did, thusly leaving them with a worthless show that cost them a fortune.

It really did show something, though: The Simpsons should stay as far away as possible from referencial comedy as possible.

First there was a nervous giggle at the Beckham joke, which almost made me get up and stick my foot through the screen. Then there was Lisa marching around with a "Free Cornwall" sign, or something. That was the point I wanted to set fire to Matt Groening's beard.

As cyd mentioned, there was no chance of being able to lower your expectations enough, because they wouldn't go that low.

The Simpsons recent decline was just highlighted by showing this followed by the superb Mr Plow episode.

There's much to love in the Mr. Plow episode, not in the least the appearance of Adam West and the Batmobile.

And you just gotta love the Mr. Plow jingle and that artistic commercial.

Simpsons season 4, I love you.

I didn't even watch it - I knew it would be shit.

The Simpsons' decline is atrocious - I have season two on DVD and it is just sublime. And my mate got S4 DVD for Xmas. Wonderful, just wonderful. Recent episodes may have one wee line that cracks a laugh - the old episodes were built on laugh afer laugh, with brilliant plots and character arcs.

there was an episode on last month or so. An old friend of marge comes back, and grows a liking to Lisa.

That episode was truely horrific. It was completly boring and shit, not to mention stuff. Ie right at the end the volcano erupts. One moment they are stranded with lava gonna around them. A few minutes later, they are next to a tree. Truely awful.

I see what channel 4 are trying to do, but why do they think that the simpsons on 4 is SO amazing?

I got simpsons socks for xmas, and on the label there was a massive sticker saying 'NOW SHOWING ON CHANNEL 4!!!11'. it's been on bbc2 for years, and they've got some new episodes which are shit. they are about 5 years too late and it looks desperate. good one!

if they got the new family guy series or something then maybe.

I see what channel 4 are trying to do, but why do they think that the simpsons on 4 is SO amazing?

I got simpsons socks for xmas, and on the label there was a massive sticker saying 'NOW SHOWING ON CHANNEL 4!!!11'. it's been on bbc2 for years, and they've got some new episodes which are shit. they are about 5 years too late and it looks desperate. good one!

if they got the new family guy series or something then maybe.

It's so amazing because they spent sooooo much money on it and would like to see some of that money back.

Also: BBC2 have the rights to Family Guy season 4.

It was wassail.

Dictionary.com:

was·sail

A salutation or toast given in drinking someone's health or as an expression of good will at a festivity.

The drink used in such toasting, commonly ale or wine spiced with roasted apples and sugar.

A festivity characterized by much drinking.

a punch made of sweetened ale or wine heated with spices and roasted apples; especially at Christmas

It was wassail.

Dictionary.com:

was·sail

A salutation or toast given in drinking someone's health or as an expression of good will at a festivity.

The drink used in such toasting, commonly ale or wine spiced with roasted apples and sugar.

A festivity characterized by much drinking.

a punch made of sweetened ale or wine heated with spices and roasted apples; especially at Christmas

When I heard this I thought "hang on I've heard this in Baldur's Gate II, when Korgan greets you when you meet up with him in the tavern".

Sad I know. :(

When I heard this I thought "hang on I've heard this in Baldur's Gate II, when Korgan greets you when you meet up with him in the tavern".

Sad I know. :(

Heh, geek :(

I only knew it because a friend sent me a text saying "lets a-wassail, motherfucker!", so I naturally looked it up :D