IGNORED

Gremlins

Dork Knight

5 hours ago, Majora said:

As hilarious as that BBC report is (love that they don't give a shit about spoiling most of what happens in the movie) I agree it's not a PG to be honest. 12A would seem fair. I think a lot of young kids would find it too much.

At the time, the only certificates it could have received were PG or 15; there was no 12 in between.

(Similar to Batman a few years later: it got a 12 in the cinema, but as that rating was not yet available for home video, the video release had to be 15.)

19 hours ago, Popo said:

Imagine a year in which there was nothing more newsworthy to report on than the classification of a film. Halcyon days. 

Once Covid and Brexit are done, the UK news can return to its de facto position of reporting everything that happens in the USA again. Its the great distraction.

I remember reading everything about Gremlins before it came out, it went head-to-head with Ghostbusters at the time. I was gutted when it got classified as a 15.

Still, aged 13, it was close enough and I managed to get in to my local with my Dad and Grandad, and it lived up to the hype. It was better than Ghostbusters. 

2 hours ago, ckny said:

My 3 and 6 year olds love Gremlins. They laugh their heads off at the naughty critters’ antics. It’s not remotely scary.

I’d love to show my 9 yr old it but the whole dad dressed as Santa - that’s how I found out he doesn’t exist scene means she’ll have to wait. 
Not spoiling that for her quite yet. 

On 10/11/2019 at 18:21, SteveG said:

I watched it last Christmas when it was on Prime. Still an amazing film. What isn’t amazing is the description used on Prime. Not exactly selling it. I took the photo because I couldn’t believe it. 

5E1906D1-F160-4E3E-ADF7-16872A6C3CB5.thumb.jpeg.5d84013513cb43bcb7122e4fd2396ed0.jpeg

I’m desperate to show this to my son but he’s only just turned six and it will definitely give him nightmares. The story that Phoebe Cates tells about her dad might take some explaining. Well dark.

That looks like it was written by

image.jpeg.de3bafee99ad68af168dca2fc2834e25.jpeg

On 06/12/2020 at 19:06, ckny said:

My 3 and 6 year olds love Gremlins. They laugh their heads off at the naughty critters’ antics. It’s not remotely scary.

If they're fine with it then great but I disagree that none of it is scary. The scene where the mother is in the house on her own is pretty tense, as is the teacher in the school. And generally it's pretty dark and violent.

The sequel is another matter, that's a lot more cartoony and played more overtly for laughs.

• 1 year later...
On 06/12/2020 at 19:06, ckny said:

Doesn't it mention that Santa isn't real?