IGNORED

Sony's Official Take On Psp Faults

inquisitor

Out of interest what is the take on customers throwing up a stink in Japan. Can you wander into any games shop in Tokyo and watch a row over a dead pixel on a PSP.

If this doesn't normally happen, perhaps you can test the waters and try shouting to see if they give in B)

Where I am people just usually accept it. I have even witnessed people buying new laptops with dead pixels and not caring.

Could be different with the fiesty buggers in places like Osaka though.

Cheers

Sean

Pinched this from NTSC-UK*.

Response from Play Asia about dead pixels on a DS unit:

I am very sorry to hear about your problem. I want to let you know, first, that this is not a fault. Even after years of production, LCD displays are still suffering from the dead pixel problem.

Technically, as a general rule of thumb, an LCD is regarded faulty, when at least 3 pixels are affected, in an area, occupying less than 25% of the screen size. Ie, if you have up to 3 faulty pixels that are spread all over the screen, it is not regarded as faulty. This is the technical aspect.

I do very well know that it is an annoyance to receive a unit that has a flaw in this way, though. In many cases, however, the flaw is only visible when examining the unit, it will not decrease playability and/or the fun factor at all.

At this point, I would recommend using the device for a while, if either the problem disappears or you find out you really are not bothered by the faulty pixel. I want to stress, that especially for the Japanese units, manufacturers give no compensation for these faults. Any problem thereof, which forces us to replace the unit, will need to rise the price of the unit in our shop.

Please kindly take my consideration and report back after around 2 weeks to let us know if it improved.

If you have any further question, please do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Sean

*Post by SUMIRE

Same here!! I love Ridge Racer too. A bit off topic but has anyone else got other games apart from RR. I want Metal Gear but am afraid of the JAP language.

High Five!

I cancelled Metal Gear. I do want it but I just don't think it's going to be very playable. Ordered Lumines and Everybody Golf instead.

Play-Asia:

I've never heard instances od dead pixels coming back to life before - is this what they are suggesting will happen, or that you'll just learn to live with it ?

They don't come back to life. And ONE dead pixel is a fault. It's shocking that Sony are taking this stance. If my PSP had any dead pixels, no-one would get any peace until I got a unit which wasn't FAULTY.

Yep waiting for the UK 'un is definitely the way to go. Let's hope Game or whoever let you swap over units with dead pixels or it could all get very interesting.....

I'll be making them open all the boxes until they find a "pure" unit........ :angry:

Can't imagine the heartache and stress involved in getting a shiny new import PSP and finding DPs........ :P

Have to say this has killed my interest in importing a PSP. A few years back I bought a portable panasonic DVD player, it had one dead pixel and it annoyed the hell out of me. Once you notice them your eye is constantly drawn to the flaw.

I'm going to wait for the UK launch now and make sure mine is pristine.

I wasn't going to import one anyway, so there is that little bit out of my mind. But when I do get a European one , it better get replaced if there is so much as one dead pixel.

One thing about dead pixels, can they "die" in the short term in their working life, or are they pretty much okay if they work at the time of purchase?

To be honest, getting rampantly pissed off at one dead pixel has to be up there with Alex W.'s "why is my GBA screen not unscratchable? There's clearly pixels in shadow under some of those marks" and "the battery door is somewhat loose, back to the shop" style perfectionism... surely for the price a few dead pixels on a screen that high res isn't going to result in a mass return to the shops from you lot?

To be honest, getting rampantly pissed off at one dead pixel has to be up there with Alex W.'s "why is my GBA screen not unscratchable? There's clearly pixels in shadow under some of those marks" and "the battery door is somewhat loose, back to the shop" style perfectionism... surely for the price a few dead pixels on a screen that high res isn't going to result in a mass return to the shops from you lot?

would you accept chipped paint work on a new car even if it was only small, although noticable? why should consoles by any different?

would you accept chipped paint work on a new car even if it was only small, although noticable? why should consoles by any different?

You seem to be getting a £300-palmtop-quality screen on a £130-if-you're-not-silly-enough-to-pay-the-price-hike-console, so it does seem to be making mountains out of molehills. It's a bloody cheap mass-manufactured rushed-to-launch handheld console you're buying, not something with which to impress clients/ hookers with when you pull up for a meeting/ request of sexual services.

You seem to be getting a £300-palmtop-quality screen on a £130-if-you're-not-silly-enough-to-pay-the-price-hike-console, so it does seem to be making mountains out of molehills. It's a bloody cheap mass-manufactured rushed-to-launch handheld console you're buying, not something with which to impress clients/ hookers with when you pull up for a meeting/ request of sexual services.

it's actually a state of the art handheld console, nothing about it looks cheap regardless of the price. everyone has different tolerance threasholds though and if you're prepared to put up with it then fair enough but that doesn't mean they should be there, or that people shouldn't complain.

Yep waiting for the UK 'un is definitely the way to go. Let's hope Game or whoever let you swap over units with dead pixels or it could all get very interesting.....

I'll be making them open all the boxes until they find a "pure" unit........ :P

I took a GBA SP back to Game as it had a dead pixel and they changed it without any fuss. They did check the replacement first and went through 3 more until they found one witout a DP.

I'm saying it's not a massive flaw is all, and one that'll probably disappear by the next few hardware batches. I wouldn't be replacing the thing if it was me, basically.

Sorry but dead pixels really ain`t a thing they can fix even in later revisions unless they have a person check every single psp made and test it out for a few days to make sure stuck pixels don`t develops. But even still stuck pixels can appear 2 weeks/2 months down the line. I`m sorry to say but US and UK launches will be exactly the same and with 100`s of thousands of these being sold it`s gonna show up the dead pixel drama of lcd screens even more than say pc monitors which no indivdual monitor would be sold in the same amount as a psp. At the end of the day if you can`t live with dead pixels don`t buy into lcd technology as it`s always gonna be there and will never really be eliminated. Let me just say though that sony`s stance on the psp is appaling and imo they should be making them returnable with 3 or over anywhere on the screen.

I ordered a new battery door and screen lens from Nintendo after knackering both myself, some months after buying the GBA, you mean. :blink:

It only matters if you're importing.

Having worked in retail *shivers* I know for a fact that most reputable places you'll buy something like this from will let you return it within seven days even if there's fuck all wrong with it.

So upon UK release, if you get a dead pixel, take the machine back.

Also, ask before you hand over the cash what their policy on dead pixels for the PSP is.

There, simple.