-=Eve Online=-

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Flams said:

I read that the other day and was astonished at the effort of sneaking all those ships in. The mind boggles at how this was managed. 

Our FC's are among the best in EVE. Pando in particular is great and calm under pressure. 

On 12/01/2019 at 18:31, Flams said:

Can you explain how the battle took a week? Do people play the entire time or are there shifts or...?

I had heard that time slows down in the game when big stuff happens so I'm guessing its more likely this?

It's kind of odd but when you attack a structure like a keepstar then you have to attack it three times to kill it. In the first attack, you are hitting its shields. You can only do this though when the Keepstar is vulnerable. There is a timer on vulnerability so for example between 9 and 11 on a Tuesday the keepstar is able to be attacked, all other times it's invulnerable. During its vulnerable time you have to apply a constant stream of damage for a set amount of time, about fifteen minutes. There is a cap to the amount of damage the keepstar can take constantly so you have to keep that damage cap going for a full fifteen minutes.

Once the Keepstar has had its shield reinforced a new timer is generated for a few days later in which you have to do the same again but this time to take down its armour. The third time you then hit its structure and it dies.      

So it is spaced over about one week to kill it. 

However, this keepstar was in wormhole space and in order to keep the wormhole open you have to maintain "hole control" i.e you have ships constantly looking for new entrances and exits from the wormhole and killing anything that tries to close the wormhole. So this takes round the clock operations across all time zones. 

What FC's would generally do is maintain a simple standing fleet that was constantly on guard. FC's would rotate constantly so they all got some rest etc. 

This all takes a great deal of commitment from FC's and alliance members. Thankfully if you have an alliance numbering several thousand people it can be done.

During a big battle, such as a fight over a keepstar timer then EVE goes "Fuck this I need to slow everything down to deal with all the stuff happening" so everything gets slowed down to ten percent so the server doesn't give up the ghost. This does work much better than the old days where the server just crashed and everyone got pissed off. Sadly it also means that a keepstar timer can go from a simple 15 minutes to dragging on for several hours. It becomes a test of endurance. Thankfully we have goons on our side and those guys are will outlast anyone.

• 6 months later...

Anyone still playing?  I've created a new character and have started going through the tutorials.  I know it's been years since I played (PIE inc. & CVA Alliance days!) but almost none of it is familiar, it's like starting new in a game for the first time.

Not sure how long I'll last, but it's cool.  Initial thoughts are that the graphics are in improvement.  The planets look cool!

Question... I have an old character I was going to delete, but I notice it has 5m isk in the wallet.  I was going to transfer the money to my main before adding to the biomass queue, but I also notice that there is 285 plex (whatever that is) which seems to be worth 1 billion isk!  What the hell?  Do I just turn it to isk?  What is it, and why is it worth so much money?

39 minutes ago, davejm said:

Question... I have an old character I was going to delete, but I notice it has 5m isk in the wallet.  I was going to transfer the money to my main before adding to the biomass queue, but I also notice that there is 285 plex (whatever that is) which seems to be worth 1 billion isk!  What the hell?  Do I just turn it to isk?  What is it, and why is it worth so much money?

Plex can be bought for real money and then either used for game time or sold on the in game market. It used to be 1 plex = 1 month but they changed it at some point I think so that you need 500 plex to get 1 month game time.  

It's been that way for a while. Many years back, I tried unsuccessfully to make enough money a month to play off plexes along, but couldn't dedicate enough time to do it.

I can't remember if I mentioned, but my run as a Galente kinda stalled on a free account. I hit the free account skill point cap, and wasn't really feeling where it left my character. I don't begrudge the way they did it, hell it means you could run a second, completely separate account as a minor hauler or whatever, but it's not for me. Have just never had the time this game really needs to make the most of it.

I just logged in with my original character, and I'm still in PIE Inc.  Not sure if the corp is still active, but I did have a warning when I un-docked saying we were at war.  No-one in the corp or alliance chat though.

1 hour ago, davejm said:

So there's no reason why I can't just turn this into isk and then send on to my main char?  Seems like an awful lot of isk!

Yep, just sell and profit!

Just don't be tempted to carry it in your hull to Jita or another trade hub (if you can even still do that with Plex?). As you will get scanned and blown up by nasty pirates.

32 minutes ago, TehStu said:

It's been that way for a while. Many years back, I tried unsuccessfully to make enough money a month to play off plexes along, but couldn't dedicate enough time to do it.

I can't remember if I mentioned, but my run as a Galente kinda stalled on a free account. I hit the free account skill point cap, and wasn't really feeling where it left my character. I don't begrudge the way they did it, hell it means you could run a second, completely separate account as a minor hauler or whatever, but it's not for me. Have just never had the time this game really needs to make the most of it.

The only time I was paying for PLEX in game was when I was running a full industry "business" with a couple of others. Buying minerals cheaply off of my mining corp, building ships and components and making sure our new alliance deployment stations were fully stocked with all of the essentials for huge markups. This would have been with 3 or 4 accounts which included a couple of alts dedicated to listing everything on the market. Probably spent more hours every day doing that than I worked a real job. :lol:

• 6 months later...
16 hours ago, old man says said:

If I've never played but fancied having a look, what should I know as I create my first character? Is there a preferred skill tree and or starting location?

No idea what the new player experience is like now, but you can move around anywhere and train up any skills (with limits on free accounts) so I wouldn't worry too much!

22 hours ago, old man says said:

If I've never played but fancied having a look, what should I know as I create my first character? Is there a preferred skill tree and or starting location?

Not really as you can train any skills no matter what race your character is etc. As for starting well you'll get a tutorial somewhere in high security space and starting running missions given by agents.

And yeah I'm still playing this after 15 years. God knows why.

• 4 months later...

I would love to play some Eve Online, but a way for me to ease into the game is start doing AFK activities.

I enjoyed  some AFK orca mining, but now the NPCs are too hard for that.

Is is possible any safe afk mining at the moment? Even if it is not as lucrative.

some notes: 

Yes, I know that is not 'proper' EVE. I know.

I really like to have a link to the game, then develop into proper active gameplay.

I see myself doing some solo low sec activities.

I have already setting a base next to low sec, and hopefully eventually I will run combat sites, exploration, and maybe join some other low sec players.

But I am really unskilled in PVP , to support my risky habits... I really like some low income mining or similar.
Yes, I know, market is an alternative, but even that is risky lol. I need something to support it. lol

And no, I wont run a random L4 from an agent. Ever. Open to some PVE, but still, thats not AFK.

Hmm... tricky. Also mining is proper EVE. Anyone who tells you different is wrong. EVE is what you want it to be. Some people just play for the market trading stuff alone.

AFK mining is something I'm not well versed on. But there is Planetary materials stuff that is risk free and as AFK as skills really. You would do well that have a look at that.

As for combat sites and exploration well they can make you a nice chunk of money but I have little expertise of exploration or wormholes. Combat sites in 0.0 can be pretty AFK if you have the right ships

I usually run Serpentis Forsaken hubs and you can just use a simple Ishtar, orbit a rock and let your drones kill everything with you being largely afk. You can make about 25 million isk per site doing that and it only takes about 1/2 an hour.