Sign in to follow this  
Captain Crunch

-=Eve Online=-

The amount of planning that my alliance did for this, in total secrecy, was amazing.

All the hard knocks keepstars, forts and astras are now all dead. We cleaned the entire place. 

• Upvote 2

I read that the other day and was astonished at the effort of sneaking all those ships in. The mind boggles at how this was managed. 

11 minutes ago, Flams said:

I read that the other day and was astonished at the effort of sneaking all those ships in. The mind boggles at how this was managed. 

Our FC's are among the best in EVE. Pando in particular is great and calm under pressure. 

Can you explain how the battle took a week? Do people play the entire time or are there shifts or...?

I had heard that time slows down in the game when big stuff happens so I'm guessing its more likely this?

On 12/01/2019 at 18:31, Flams said:

Can you explain how the battle took a week? Do people play the entire time or are there shifts or...?

I had heard that time slows down in the game when big stuff happens so I'm guessing its more likely this?

It's kind of odd but when you attack a structure like a keepstar then you have to attack it three times to kill it. In the first attack, you are hitting its shields. You can only do this though when the Keepstar is vulnerable. There is a timer on vulnerability so for example between 9 and 11 on a Tuesday the keepstar is able to be attacked, all other times it's invulnerable. During its vulnerable time you have to apply a constant stream of damage for a set amount of time, about fifteen minutes. There is a cap to the amount of damage the keepstar can take constantly so you have to keep that damage cap going for a full fifteen minutes.

Once the Keepstar has had its shield reinforced a new timer is generated for a few days later in which you have to do the same again but this time to take down its armour. The third time you then hit its structure and it dies.      

So it is spaced over about one week to kill it. 

However, this keepstar was in wormhole space and in order to keep the wormhole open you have to maintain "hole control" i.e you have ships constantly looking for new entrances and exits from the wormhole and killing anything that tries to close the wormhole. So this takes round the clock operations across all time zones. 

What FC's would generally do is maintain a simple standing fleet that was constantly on guard. FC's would rotate constantly so they all got some rest etc. 

This all takes a great deal of commitment from FC's and alliance members. Thankfully if you have an alliance numbering several thousand people it can be done.

During a big battle, such as a fight over a keepstar timer then EVE goes "Fuck this I need to slow everything down to deal with all the stuff happening" so everything gets slowed down to ten percent so the server doesn't give up the ghost. This does work much better than the old days where the server just crashed and everyone got pissed off. Sadly it also means that a keepstar timer can go from a simple 15 minutes to dragging on for several hours. It becomes a test of endurance. Thankfully we have goons on our side and those guys are will outlast anyone.

• Upvote 1