Project Zero (w/ Spoilers)

Let us measure

I started the original again about an hour ago. I stopped playing it early last year at around the 3 hour mark, once you're in the graveyard with the sealed well.

It wears its influences on its sleeve, but jeeping fuck there are some creepy moments early on. I don't know why more survival horrors don't exploit cinematic scares as opposed to an endless cast of monsters to hit with pipes. Catching sight of Sadako Jnr. in the corner of your eye is deeply unnerving.

I wish she wouldn't speak, though. They really made a hideous mistake in trying to make her sympathetic.

Nice reference to Audition (I assume) in the first location, too.

But scarier than Silent Hill 2? Is it fuck.

But scarier than Silent Hill 2? Is it fuck.

Funny you should mention this, as while Ive was playing Forbidden Siren the other day, I realised that all 'Survival Horror' (or whatever you like to call them) games stop being scary as soon as you have to fight.

In the SH games, I'd almost always just run away from the big spazzy ponderous enemies, as they seemed to have even more trouble moving around the environments than I did, and are generally about as threatening as a goldfish.

PZ (2 in particualr) almost made combat work and / or scary, with some bloody horrible enemies, who can properly shit you up (especially when you first encounter them) - but they fall over by being too numerous, the combat being too fiddly and ultimately end with frustration. By that point, you are no longer even remotely scared.

By and large, these games are scariest when you dont encounter things - its the fear of bumping into something that they have perfected, but when it actually happens, its just a chore of hitting something with a pipe, or snapping wildly at something while spinning on the spot :/

I think that new game from Capcom is supposed to be the antithesis to the norm in that respect (I think the game is called 'Demento' in Japan). It seems the main character in unable to fight monsters herself, and you have to run away / find thing to stop them or distract them (like that dog). Could be interesting.

• 2 years later...

RLLMUK Iniative.

Let's get the PAL version of this game to be updated to be backwards compatable on Xbox 360. The US Version is known as Fatal Frame and that works on the 360. I guess the backwards compatability team overlooked this PAL version as it has a different title.

Just send a quick E-mail to

backcomp@microsoft.com

and ask for this great game to get an update for us suffering PAL users.

Thanks guys!

RLLMUK Iniative.

Let's get the PAL version of this game to be updated to be backwards compatable on Xbox 360. The US Version is known as Fatal Frame and that works on the 360. I guess the backwards compatability team overlooked this PAL version as it has a different title.

backcomp@microsoft.com

Thanks guys!

Done.

I bloody love this series. I really do. Very scary, pretty challenging, tense as fuck. I'm playing through the third game right now, I've only touched the tiniest sliver of it, but:

the bit at the beginning with loads of ghosts appearing and disappearing and then an EVIL BASTARD WITH A KNIFE RUNNING AT YOU properly shit me up.

I bloody love this series. I really do. Very scary, pretty challenging, tense as fuck. I'm playing through the third game right now, I've only touched the tiniest sliver of it, but:

the bit at the beginning with loads of ghosts appearing and disappearing and then an EVIL BASTARD WITH A KNIFE RUNNING AT YOU properly shit me up.

Jesus face, I nearly died when that happened. HORRIBLE.

Scary games indeed, i never played the third one, didn't get round to it, but the other 2 scared the shit out of me.

Playing the first one 2 o'clock in the morning, the bit in the actic, she is looking through a hole in floor...BANG a fucking ghost head appears. I almost feel off my chair

The final chapter in the first game is pants-wettingly scary. It's like you can't turn a corner without dreading some THING appearing.

Those fucking priests. Brrrrr...

Excellent story-telling, too. Every enemy in the game has their own tale to tell, and despite being absolutely shit-scared of all of them, it's kinda not their fault how they're so fucked up. The end of the first two games is amazing. Especially in the second one. Amazingly sad. Not completed 3 yet, mind. Found a nasty difficulty spike (it's a bit wonky like that) and haven't went back to it since. But it's nicely different in the way it makes a modern home just as unsettling at times.

RLLMUK Iniative.

backcomp@microsoft.com

Thanks guys!

Emailed them this evening, keep the emails coming guys, send a quick email out since you're here to share memories of this game anyway - wouldn't it be great to have it working on the 360? :(

Even on the GB 360 site they refer to these games as Fatal Frame, so it's kind of hard to tell, but I gather from Wikipedia that the sequel is backward compatible - is that right? I played it on the PS2 ages ago but it never got finished due to other games, so if the 360 can run it I might just pick it up cheap and have another go.

Three's fucking ace. One of my top 3 survival horror games, that. It was when they start to infiltrate your waking hours as well. Shit me up something terrible, it did.

Under the stairs. Brr.