Psp Hardware/opinions

I've been dumping video, music and photos on mine. Finding Nemo Clip (highest bitrate for vid and audio, the show off clip :P), 1 episode each of Naruto, SG1 and Scrubs, as well as all the Lou and Andy from Little Britain Series 1. On top of that I've stuck the Razorlight album, Snow Patrol album, 8 random MP3s and some photos from my last holiday.

46mb left on the 512mb card (468mb actual formatted space), enough for some more Little Britain :ph34r:

How much space do video's take then. For example I could get a 30 minute episode of Family Guy on my 32mb Ngage SM card at pretty good quality... I'm guessing you need a higher bit rate on the PSP for the massively better screen though :ph34r:

I've been dumping video, music and photos on mine. Finding Nemo Clip (highest bitrate for vid and audio, the show off clip :P), 1 episode each of Naruto, SG1 and Scrubs, as well as all the Lou and Andy from Little Britain Series 1. On top of that I've stuck the Razorlight album, Snow Patrol album, 8 random MP3s and some photos from my last holiday.

46mb left on the 512mb card (468mb actual formatted space), enough for some more Little Britain :ph34r:

How large is a good-quality episode of a TV show like SG-1 then?

Where can I get a USB cable that fits?

You've got the option of multiple encoding rates in that third party program. An hour at the top rate would be about 80-100 megs if I extrapolate from my tests; about 60 megs at the lowest (15fps, mono sound). Very rough figures though; i'll let you know for sure tomorrow when my card arrives.

Link brings up a page but there's nothing highlighted. Anyway, I've got loads of USB cables at home and they're all different sizes

Weird. It's the US site because I couldn't be arsed choosing the right region. Try searching for "mini-b USB" on the UK site.

I had to redeem all your walexy points to do the first thing for you, sorry.

Maybe if you make some particularly hilarious posts.

I think I've made enough.

Hurry up, I want to get one tomorrow. Possibly, if you could ffind a shop in the West End that sells them I can pick one up tomorrow.

Fly my Web Monkey's, fly.

Well I encoded SG1 at QB4, 2 pass encoding with 64kbps sound. For 42 minutes it came out at 106mb (which is a suprisingly good quality:size ratio), I was expecting it to be larger personally.

It's quite hard to convey the quality over an internet forum, the best I can offer is there's no noticable blocking, no artifacting and it looks really nice all the way through.

I was suprised at how small it was tbh, works out at around 2.5mb a minute with that particular encode, with Little britain I was getting around 3.6mb a minute. The Finding Nemo clip which was encoded at 768kbps video and 128kbps audio was 8.6mb a minute.

Well I encoded SG1 at QB4, 2 pass encoding with 64kbps sound at 25fps. For 42 minutes it came out at 106mb (which is a suprisingly good quality:size ratio), I as expecting it to be larger personally.

It's quite hard to convey the quality over an internet forum, the best I can offer is there's no noticable blocking, no artifacting and it looks really nice all the way through.

I was suprised at how small it was tbh, works out at around 2.5mb a minute with that particular encode, with Little britain I was getting around 3.6mb a minute. The Finding Nemo clip which was encoded at 768kbps video and 128kbps audio was 8.6mb a minute.

Hmm, anything up to about 5MB per minute sounds good to me. That'd make a 1GB memory stick do about three hours of video.

Without a doubt I'll definitely be picking up a 1GB stick when it's not insanely priced and when it's readily available.

512mb is nice, but I've converted a copy of House Of Flying Daggers and it's either that (384mb) plus a bit of music or all the TV stuff and a bit of music. 1GB would be a real nice size.

> Dazzla,

Where would you recommend picking up a 512mb memory stick from?

I had a good scoot around for them, and the cheapest place was eBay - 512mb sandisk duo pros for around £40 (+P&P, but watch for the idiots charging £10 for it) as buy it now items. Second best was a dodgy looking site, then a site called flash-memory.co.uk, who have a deal on them at the mo (about £53 delivered).

The official Sony sticks are +£10-£20 on that.

Edit: and if you're after Sony ones, watch out for the difference between their normal Duo Pros and the model MSX-512N - it's a high speed version (designed to cut down the time between photo writing on digi cameras) which won't really make all that difference in the PSP - it's another £30 on top of a normal one.